I'm kinda pissed about the Total Recall remake

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......9gag watermark......

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pdf-library/Dick_Wholesale.pdf

Total Recall (2012), directed by Len Wiseman and starring

Colin Farrell , remake of the 1990 film and second adaptation

of the short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale".

if its closer to the short story i cant complain....pretty much all of phillip k dick's adaptations turned into a complete rewrite with just the theme and characters left

also this

Paycheck (2003), directed by John Woo and starring Ben

Affleck , based on Dick's short story of the same name

git choor azz to maahz.

my favorite line from that movie, easily.

sure, lots of bad-assery in Total Recall, but this was badassery that a 14 year old girl liked.

for once, a remake has interested me.

i like colin farrell, that kate lady seems great as an action star, i'd like to see the whole thing shot and scripted better.

i totally agree that hollywood needs to grow some creativity and come up with different movies.. and yes, even if they have to make them out of books.. it's pretty damn stupid to make the same shit over and over.

that said, i would like to see prometheus at least. it's been awhile since anything at the movies got my even a little hyped. and even that is a damn prequel

they'll ruin everything

it's not if they remake it, it's when and how bad.

first they destroyed my beloved star wars

then they raped the transformers.

i'm not sure it could get much worse. i've learned though... i will not be watching the next iterations of indiana jones, (whenever they are made) i can assure you.

they'll ruin everything

it's not if they remake it, it's when and how bad.

first they destroyed my beloved star wars

then they raped the transformers.

i'm not sure it could get much worse. i've learned though... i will not be watching the next iterations of indiana jones, (whenever they are made) i can assure you.

wtsouthparkrape3_wide.jpg

south-park-indy2.JPG

wtsouthparkrape2_wide.jpg

sp02.JPG

southpark-indy-rape-3.jpg

meh.ro2637.png

"Blade Runner" wasn't a very faithful adaptation of the story it was based on...Ridley Scott created something much different from the original (which, as I recall, wasn't one of Philip K. Dick's better books) that was a great story in its own right.

So I'm guessing the idea with "Total Recall" is to follow canon more closely, which would be sort of like incorporating Mercerism and radiation sickness into "Blade Runner." It wouldn't be bad, just somewhat confusing.

"Blade Runner" wasn't a very faithful adaptation of the story it was based on...Ridley Scott created something much different from the original (which, as I recall, wasn't one of Philip K. Dick's better books) that was a great story in its own right.

So I'm guessing the idea with "Total Recall" is to follow canon more closely, which would be sort of like incorporating Mercerism and radiation sickness into "Blade Runner." It wouldn't be bad, just somewhat confusing.

Except they do not go to Mars in the remake :rolleyes: that's where most of they original story took place. And mutant 3-boobed women.

Also, saw Prometheus last Saturday. First time in a theater in years. Was not as good as I was hoping, little let down, myself. I watched Alien a few days before and thought it was better.

In general, I think story telling in film making has become something of a lost art. A good portion of directors have learned that they can just lean shitty plot/story/acting on the crutch of CGI, green screens and special effects. Throw in enough explosions and spaceships/giant fighting robots/blue aliens and people will still flock to see it. Even if it is just a shitty retelling of Pocahontas.

yeah sure.

but the cast and screenwriters did not help

Well, George Lucas wrote the screenplays himself, and he had a pretty decent collection of actors, he just didn't direct their performances into anything special.

In other news, Prometheus was a spectacular visual ride in IMAX 3D, but otherwise it's two hours of watching characters behave incomprehensively stupid followed by a big TO BE CONTINUED that suggests anything that's actually conceptually interesting may or may not be explored in the sequel.

If someone offers you to play a drinking game where you take a shot (and slap your forehead) every time a character does something moronic or completely unearned, do not play that game because you will die.

Avengers >>>>>>>>>>> Prometheus

it was based on "do androids dream of electric sheep" and it was pretty close as far as the major plot points. i actually liked the book, but i've really only read that and "a scanner darkly" so i don't have much to compare it to.

i was kinda excited for this ghostbusters remake. that could be awesome. the campiness of the original's special effects would need to still be there.

I was watching the old TV movie IT the other day. Scared me good as a kid. So now I read it's (haha no pun) going to be re-made into two movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-be-adapted-by-334899

I'm not even mad at this.

It is one of my favorite books by King, and probably one of my favorite books period. I bought it as a wee lad, probably like 12 or 13, in Maine, and when I turned around from the shelf, Stephen King was standing behind me and signed it. Cool st0ry, although that copy is completely beat to shit now from reading it so many times. I wouldn't mind a fresh film spin on it, and I will see it even if it sucks.

...Playing around with The Warriors, on the other hand...fuck that.

it was based on "do androids dream of electric sheep" and it was pretty close as far as the major plot points. i actually liked the book, but i've really only read that and "a scanner darkly" so i don't have much to compare it to.

i was kinda excited for this ghostbusters remake. that could be awesome. the campiness of the original's special effects would need to still be there.

I remember a game called Shellshock (ghettofied tank game with on the PS1) had an argument between three characters about Blade Runner.

Great line: