Europe vs USA

imported_Rebus

I think u cant really compare the two, maybe I am wrong but american graffiti is more about getting there to the train, have adrenalin in yor body,and spray it, its about illegal graffiti,and that's what graffiti is about, whereas in europe people tend to more legal things. So i personally respect more american graffiti, although I am from europe, the styles are different as well, and u cant compare the style.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should remember where writing started and gotta give props where they due.

Off course here are some good styles in Europe but except for three d style likes delta or daim,all the rest had been done like 20 years ago mostly in Ny.

straight roots sonny!

3d is cool, but some of you jock 3d way too much.. it isnt that great.. i think that most begginers are into 3d becuase it looks so difficult and technical, when it really isnt all that tech. i myself like american stuff more, but i live here, i havent been exposed to as much european stuff as i have american, this 'argument' will never be over, just give it up.

it seems every once in awhile someone comes up with one of these coutry vs coutry topics. and all i have to say to that is, gay.

True. It's prolly wrong to compare the two and no, it's not a competition. Still, it's interesting to see how the styles differ and have evolved over time. I remember reading that one particular area in England was properly influenced by a couple of US Kings who came over and blitzed the area.

I dunno, I don't think that it's "stupid" to compare styles. I'd never dreamed of flared tags before I came onto this board, but there we go. On the other hand, other than ESPO, I haven't seen many large scale roller dubs whereas writers like ET are pulling them off on high rise flats here. In short, I think both sides of "the pond", as you lot put it, have got stuff to learn from each other.

Personally, from what I've seen of ONO's stuff (ie the flix above) I don't really rate him. Sorry, but I just don't like his style (although his pieces are far better than anything I could do).

Actually, that's a lie. The top one is class and the firey one owns, but I don't think that the rest are anything really special (well, maybe the bottom one). OK, he's good. I'll give you that http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//redface.gif'>D

Ouija, you do yourself down mate. You're fucking amazing. Brum brum TT-boy :-D.

As for that complete crap about British writers being more wall piecers than bombers - wtf? Have you been to London recently? If anything the major problem seems to be that all the HOF's are being bombed out. But that's another story...

I'll drop some illegals from London in part 2 if anyone's interested.

Cheers, and remember, it's all about getting up.

[This message has been edited by freeque (edited 05-30-2001).]

Guest same ol' 6s & 7s

que got bagged?!?!?

nevermind...

------------------

I'm not your average honky, raised by a pack of retarded donkies...

OK. Here's some stuff.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/bigfume.jpg'>

OK. It's no ESPO, but it's definitely getting there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/et-zulu.jpg'>

Hard to tell the scale, but I think it's an ESPO beater size-wise (from what I've seen). There's also a bigger one the whole length of a tower-block but I can't be arsed to post it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/fume2.jpg'>

Just so you don't think that all illegals are dubs

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/fume4.jpg'>

Well, I like it :-)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/fume%20-westbourne.jpg'>

One of the best dubs I've seen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/fumecosa.jpg'>

Just to reinforce my fetish for FUME :-)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongraffiti/files/damage.jpg'>

Some London Underground harcore damage. Of course, we only do wall pieces :-)

Sorry if this is a picture overload but I hope it's all good.

Cheers,

i dont think its possible to compare american styles vs. european styles. I lived in germany for 6 years and thats where i got my start so i love me some european styles. But the two are not realy similar. The only way that i can describe the difference between the two is that American style is based to a certain extent on a solid base of uniformity and how letter stucture works, where as European styles are just totaly invented based on nothing but look hella cool. I dont think that thay can be compared. But it makes for an interesting discusion

Guest imported_b0b

Hustler, wtf are you talking about? US has more illegal, Europe is more legal? Wow.... That's why passenger trains get painted in Europe, not the US yeah? How about this for illegal; a top to bottom whole train done on a backjump (a backjump is when the train is in service and is sat in the terminus or station) Took about 10 minutes. Is that not hardcore??

Freeque, nice flix, but not ones I would have picked to prove Europe can burn America.

As someone said US is more about letter forms (and the US has much nice handstyles...) and Euro graf is much more about shapes and asthetics.

Guest imported_b0b

it's all about passenger trains.. Where's the US when it comes to real graf, the place that it started, that's right trains...........?

This has to be the stupidest shit ever. 2 pages of "my dad can beat up your dad." You all look like clowns (not to mention superjocks, "here's a picture of my hero's graffiti, he's the dreamiest"). This isn't fucking Football (pick whatever meaning your continent uses. For what it's worth I'm a fan of Manchester United and, sadly, the New England Patriots http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//smile.gif'> ) These days, with motherfuckers traveling all over the world, magazines, the internet, people trading flicks, worldwide crews, this type of shit is meaningless. People do what they do with what they're given, be it their laws, their talent, their scene. dudes on both sides can burn. dudes on both sides bomb. End of story.

------------------

buddha bless you

alot of people have said the same shit and repeated one another, but the fact is US writers have handstyle and a much better handle on throwups and overall class. i love european shit and i hate european shit... they walk a fine line, its hit or miss... they execute shit on a pro level but in alot of ways are still amateurs to the overall game of graff (im not saying this in a condescending way at all) there are alot of europeans that could burn me at the drop of a hat but they also seem to have this bullshit view of being a graff writer means your automatically a hip hop soldier that is just stupid... most of the best writers and most respected writers arent "hip hop soldiers" theyre just regular dudes that listen to hatever they want and do what they want with no guidelines set by the "hip hop" culture.. well ive rambled enough... say what you want.........

What you're saying about the "soldiers" is so true. I read an interview with BOZO and FUME "london's most notorious writers" and one quotation has stuck in my mind. Fume was talking about wall piecers and he said

"We cannot allow these toys to dominate us and call themselves writers".

The whole article was centred on the degeneration of the London scene into a warground. It kinda rang true.

Thing is, it;s all changed now. I remember when I used to get the piss ripped out of me for being interested in graf. I'm generally regarded as a "good" boy and I'm white. Those were the days when being a writer, or even interested in the culture, was something a little unique.

Recently though, graf seems to have become the new "in" thing. I was walking about school and nearly every classroom's whiteboard was being tagged on by little uppermiddle class suburban white boys in fucking drywipe marker. I keep getting fronted by 4 foot high 12 year olds who reckon they're hard cos they've put up in paint pen. This pisses me off cos I don't strictly write myself.

I'm not really sure what my point is, but basically you're right. The majority of writers nowadays are _NOT_ hardcore hiphop soliders, they are just the average kid next door, as it were.

As for the pricks who keep interupting the flow of this thread to say stuff like "This thread is gay. You can't compare they styles. You're all gay. There's no point to this thread", all I would say is steer clear if you're not interested. Personally, I think comparing the styles is a good thing. One major thing that has come out is the fact that the Americans have a far superior handstyle to most London writers. That is so so true and I hope that we will soon catch up.

As for those wholecars, the second OKER wholecar was fucking amazing. He is such a decent writer. So diverse. Nice tag, throwup, dubs and pieces. I'll post some more I think.

As for those flix not representing the UK, I dunno, maybe you're right. In fact, you are, but I thought they were quite elite at the time. I've got about 700 flix on my computer so I'll try and post some more when I have the time, but I keep having to upload them to my egroups account and it's pissing me off no end.

Cheers

Guest freddy kreuger

"Which did you think i meant?....It doesnt matter to me."

^^^^that has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.

oh bullocks you tea baggers havent had any inovative graff since goldie was in that b-boy crew back in the 80s and now that hes concentrating on making some running ass beats yall better just sip on that earl grey

Guest drewWrite

you guys got it all wrong

i think madagascar got the styles that US and europe couldn't compete with

Yeah, man...You really cant compare the two...when it comes to scripts and tosses, the US has it locked. However, while the US is doing all of these super-technical showoffy graff, a lot of the soul is lost. Euro graff retains a lot of soul in its letters...painting to paint, not to show off my new super-skinny caps or my cool effects. I'm with cathartic, I love and hate euro graff, but I feel the exact same way about american graff...

Archived