Stay in nice apartments with view OR move into suburbia to have house/garage/back yard ?

nsmbfan

this is the argument me and the lady just had.

her side:

- rent houses suck. people lived there before (unlike our apartment they custom built for us while we signed the lease paper?? stupid ass...)

- they won't have baller new stainless steel appliances (meh, I grew up poor)

- or wood floors (ours are fake linoleum right now anyways, she doesn't even notice)

- we should just move to a 1st floor apartment with a patio and a better view of the golf course

my side:

- our large dog needs to run in a back yard, not be tied to a leash on a patio

- i need a garage in my life

- we can get a rent house with badass appliances already in it, and pay less!!

- anything we do to fix said house can be deducted from rent, per an established agreement with the owner

No kids, just a dog. So nothing important to consider except our own happiness.

There's literally nothing going on in here, figured I'd ask a stupid question that I know the answer to (pee in her butt). What would you goons do?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Stay in nice apartments with view OR move into suburbia to have house/garage/back yard

Suburbs are nice cause for the most part everyone is too worried about their lexus payment to give you any shit. One the other hand the police presence is much greater and even if you are pretty straight they seem to have a way of nickle and diming ya with speeding tickets and the like.

Sometimes there is a happy medium but if you are living on a golf course perhaps you have found that already.

Another thing to keep in mind is maintenance and repairs, I know some house renters who are out in the cold on that because the home owner is just kind of done with the property and waiting to sell or tear down when the economy improves.

Re: Stay in nice apartments with view OR move into suburbia to have house/garage/back yard

Im thinking the same thing right now. Rent a nice fuck pad ... or move out and by a over priced house with a Q. acre and garage. . . second option is out in the fucking boonies tho so it sucks.

I don't know what the fuck to do, but ownership has it's problems, and renting just fucking blows unless you do not want any stress.

holy shit two legit answers...

12oz IS dead....

yeah so I'd like to think I found a happy medium. but I really want a man cave. maybe I'll just get a townhome in the same complex, but those don't sit on the golf course like the apartments do.

it's mad relaxing to kick your feet up and stare at this:

29navkh.jpg

dclk8.jpg

20ucoly.jpg

f9xcg.jpg

Another factor to consider is the difference in rental costs between the two what will you do with the money you'll save (vacation, invest etc)

Apartments are easier to keep clean, no yard to maintain.

Its easier to just do what she wants because if you get your way the SLIGHTEST inconvenience she'll be all: "SEE I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN APPARTMENT!"

no, thats where I live now.

looking for a rent house in suburbia. somewhere nice with a backyard/garage/wood floors/modern appliances.

where I live, a rent home would actually be cheaper than what I'm paying now. and I'd get more.

I'd lose the view I have here, and have to mow my own grass... but the dog could run around out back in the rent house.

as for costs... I'm paying 0.67 cents per sq ft here in my apartment. usually you're paying $1 or more per sq ft.

I know a guy that owns 30 properties, all rent homes, varying qualities. Those will have more space and cost approximately 0.65 to 0.70 cents per sq ft if you count the garage.

I hate my neighbors here and would like to move. But I could just move across the complex too and keep all this... maybe get a 1st floor. Then I'd have to deal with assholes above me. That's why townhome seems better, you get two stories. But that's keeping me on a lease in a place I'm frankly tired of. But she loves it.

For both you also have to consider things like distance to work, friends, favorite bar, etc. Personally, I like my privacy at home, so I'd take house with yard and garage assuming its still within an acceptable distance to the people I hang out with and the places I like to go.

My location here is perfect, at a main artery for DFW. My exit is the first one from where two main highways meet.

Anywhere in about 20 minutes or less, traffic willing. Rush hour here isn't as bad as other cities. Getting to be, but people know how to drive for the most part.

The rent house would be more IN the suburbs. Like, I'd have at least 7 blocks to drive in a town before I hit a major highway, in any direction.

All my friends drive cars. We have to here. Highway wins.

Another factor to consider is the difference in rental costs between the two what will you do with the money you'll save (vacation, invest etc)

Apartments are easier to keep clean, no yard to maintain.

Its easier to just do what she wants because if you get your way the SLIGHTEST inconvenience she'll be all: "SEE I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN APPARTMENT!"

fucking hell she'll do that no matter what. she's a woman.

the price would be about the same. it's the lifestyle i'm changing. thats whats the question.

i'm skeed up with my feet up currently, and its great. but too much doing nothing has gotten to me. too much smoking weed and fucking wasting the day. i probably should look into buying a fixer upper, telling her we can build our house... but she's from money, so she's used to instant shit... I like DIY. my buddy with the properties says any work I do to it will be knocked off rent. i need a project in my life.

my apartment

----------------------------

1bdrm 1 bath - BRAND NEW appliances, no maintenance needed, 1009sqft

$670 - rent

$80 - water/gas/sewage

$100 - electric (on average, it's nice out now, in summer/winter is gets to $150)

$10 - renters insurance

---------------------------

$860

if I got a rent home

---------------------------

3bdrm 1.5bath/2bath garage back yard

$600 - rent

$40 - water/sewage

$25 - gas (if it has a gas water heater)

$150/$200 - electric (depending on the water heater and insulation in attic/windows)

$20 - renters insurance (it's higher for houses because they get robbed more than apartments? idfk)

----------------------------------

$835

but I'd have to maintain my yard etc... or pay a neighborhood kid to do it, so tack on $30 more a month...

see, about the same

(did I mention my buddy accepts reefer in lieu of currency?)

go with the house man. apartment complexes are fucking stupid and so are a ton of the people that live there. besides, once you start taking a bit of pride in how your yard looks, you won't mind mowing the lawn, landscaping etc. i actually enjoy making my yard look nice plus it's cool to have the option to grow a garden or even grow reefer in the basement if your buddy's cool like that.

I'd go with the house in the burbs. and ^^dude up there has it right about maintaining your yard and shit. you'll probably end up WANTING to make it look how you want.

but overall if you have the money you should just buy a house

i live in the city and do not commute to work so for me that is huge.

as for the shit she says about an apartment, you can easily find rental homes in my area with stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors and a nice layout, in addition they sometimes come with a decent sized yard and a garage.

i'd hold out for a house that has a garage, and also has some nice features she mentions. such a place exists, you might just have to look to find it, and it will be worth it.

i own my house, and even though real estate tanked i came out ok in the end. my mortgage is cheap, many renters i know are paying more than me by at least 30%

the yard i have is small, so i only have a weedwacker and a pair of shears.

**and, disclaimer, i am a frugal woman who has always earned her own money and came from modest means. i am quite far from high maintenance.. i don't want a lot of stuff, but i want the stuff i have to be nice.

i was also willing to move into a questionable neighborhood to get a great price.

is there a home owners association in the suburbs? if so, be leery of that.

other then that id say go for the house, garages are nice. and im sure your creative enough to make the house look less depressing on the inside.

If you are both in your late 20's or older and have stable jobs, buy a house.

I know that's whole new ball of wax to think about, but at least you'll have something to show for the money you're spending on a place to live.

Just be careful of the walls shifting and never-ending staircases.

Or just buy a house boat and pretend you're Huck Finn

I'd say go with the suburb house if you can stand living in the suburbs..

I hate that shit and will be a city dweller for life..

i rent a 1200 sq.ft. apartment with a decent sized balcocy for $425 a month in a dope section of my city and have views like this:

(these pics really don't even do it justice)

16-sunset.jpg?w=1000&h=

4-silver-lining.jpg?w=1000&h=

silver-marker-n-sunset-b-border.jpg?w=497

5-my-city.jpg?w=1200&h=

probably staying here until i move out of the state for a warmer climate..

....unless..... i can get a dope 3 story brick building in this neighbor hood that i can hook the fuck up (renovate) to have a garage/man cave/ personal bar on the first floor.

kitchen / great room / small full bath on 2nd.

master bed/bath + spare room on 3rd.. and add a roof deck....

i like being able to walk out my front door and walk to: bars/restaurants/grocery/gas station/whatever..

do whatever you think will make the both of you the happiest..