Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops often wrong

vanfullofretards

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-01-06/news/ct-met-canine-officers-20110105_1_drug-sniffing-dogs-alex-rothacker-drug-dog

"Drug-sniffing dogs can give police probable cause to root through cars by the roadside, but state data show the dogs have been wrong more often than they have been right about whether vehicles contain drugs or paraphernalia."

I've always wondered about that... The cop could just train the dog to give the signal of drugs on command, thereby giving him the authority to search the car.

Assholes.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've always wondered about that... The cop could just train the dog to give the signal of drugs on command, thereby giving him the authority to search the car.

Assholes.

yeah, if you've ever see them tapping on the car when running the dog around this might be them trying to get the dog to signal. but not only that, a cop can actually send subconscious clues to the dog that will make it signal falsely. so even when the cop is good intentioned enough the dog can still misinterpret the handlers "vibes" (idk what else to call them) and false signal anyways. the fact that there is even a CHANCE that this can happen should be grounds for these drug sniffing dogs to stop being used. i mean we don't use lie detectors in court because of the slim possibility for them to be wrong, so why should we leave the possible violation of someones 4th amendment rights into the hands (or paws :p) of a dog?

• Like 1

yeah, if you've ever see them tapping on the car when running the dog around this might be them trying to get the dog to signal. but not only that, a cop can actually send subconscious clues to the dog that will make it signal falsely. so even when the cop is good intentioned enough the dog can still misinterpret the handlers "vibes" (idk what else to call them) and false signal anyways. the fact that there is even a CHANCE that this can happen should be grounds for these drug sniffing dogs to stop being used. i mean we don't use lie detectors in court because of the slim possibility for them to be wrong, so why should we leave the possible violation of someones 4th amendment rights into the hands (or paws :p) of a dog?

I had similar thoughts about it's validity in court. Then I found this...

http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/21/the-mind-of-a-police-dog

It goes a couple steps further than the original link... really interesting.

"...The results? Dog/handler teams correctly completed a search with no alerts in just 21 of the 144 walk-throughs. The other 123 searches produced an astounding 225 alerts, every one of them false. Even more interesting, the search points designed to trick the handlers (marked by the red slips of paper) were about twice as likely to trigger false alerts as the search points designed to trick the dogs (by luring them with sausages)."

• Like 1

the signals are actually up to interpretation by the handler, so the handler can just say "oh he signaled by looking at the tire" - there is no one signal for each dog. Canine searches are just a way for them to circumvent due process, if they bring a dog out, believe you are going to get searched, since the handler just has to say "oh the dog indicated by sniffing the door handle" or whatever bullshit. If you have ever seen a canine handler's testimony it is straight up bullshit.

Once my uncle was pulled over, the dog signaled, the cops opened his trunk, and found 2 bags of dog food.

another time I had got done smoking a giant blunt in my car, they pulled the canine out, and the dog just started bugging out before it even got 10 feet from my car. It just started going berserk barking and trying to pull away from the handler. It was pretty fucking hilarious, would have been more hilarious if I was not in the back of a police car watching it.

• Like 1

What is there to do? Everywhere I look on the internet says to politely decline a search

being that its my constitutional right but in the real world you decline a search they bring

out the dogs.

If you decline a search. They get a dog. It tears your shit up or the police tear your shit

up and they dont find anything do you have a right to sue them and recover your losses?

My guess is no. I feel like declining a search is a bad idea only because the police will

find a way to tear into you twice as bad because of it.

• Like 1

i went to a wedding that was outside my city of residence and caught a ride with my boy in a rental.

i shoulda known better, dude was hustling and had coke in the car (lesson learned).

we got pulled over for speeding on the way back, and the cops noticed rolling papers.

"wheres the dope boys?"

i had an ounce of weed on me and they confiscated it (i love canada) and warned me that i could be in a lot of trouble if they werent such nice guys.

they pulled dudes record and found he had priors for traffikking, plus the rental info he supplied didnt quite add up.

they were convinced there was more than said ounce of weed in the car (which there was, but i wasnt aware of).

dog gets called, sniffs the car out, and finds nothing.

they impounded the car and let us go.

TLDR: KUSH AND A STUPID FUCKING DOG SAVED MY BOY A COCAINE CHARGE NIGGAZ