CHESS.. am I the only one who enjoys playing this game ?

avils

Come on.. some of you intellectuals out there must be partial to the odd game of Chess ??

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Re8 10.d4 Bb7 11.Nbd2 Bf8 12.a3 g6 13.Ba2 Bg7 14.b4 a5 15.d5 Ne7 ...

UP !!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

OH SHIT!!

I love some fuckin' chess. My teacher taught us to play in like sixth grade as a kind of lesson in strategy. It was actually a pass/fail part of the class....we had tournies with other grades and other schools it was dope. Since I've grown up though....I rarely meet people who like to play.....IT's a good game. People get intimidated bcuz they think it's really complicated because of all the pieces...but it's so easy...hella fun.

LEARN TO PLAY

Guest serpent of the light

heck yeah, chess is rad.

i had this discussion today, it turns out i'm the biggest geek in my "clique" because i'm unhappy if a game lasts under 1.5 hours. whatever, chess is rad.

if you can't find a partner, play yourself, you can learn a ton of strategy and find your own weak points.

Guest GoBiloe

i totally don't understand all the b7 k4 h6 etc bullshit.. will someone explain it to me? i like chess but i never play so im inexperienced

Originally posted by GoBiloe

i totally don't understand all the b7 k4 h6 etc bullshit.. will someone explain it to me? i like chess but i never play so im inexperienced

Don't worry about my fucked up explanation.. see Cracked's reply a bit further down.. spot on.

Guest got tha feva

I love chess. My dad got a really nice hand carved stone chess board in mexico.. he taught me how to play when I was 6, and we used to play it all the time. I'm just waiting for the life sized real action chess sets to come out, harry potter style. hoo ha

PruDE

Originally posted by avils

Yeah.. they're just piece names and board locations.. like Nf3 to Nc6 would mean your Knight (sp?) moved from f3 to c6.. and Bb3 to d6 means your Bishop moved from b3 to d6.. you feel me ?

Not quite right - right idea though. Nf3 means "knight to f3" regardless of where it's coming from. Nf3-c6 would be illegal, the knight on f3 can only legally reach g1, h2, h4, g5, e5, d4, d2, and e1, assuming no other piece of the same color is on the destination square. Bb3-d6 is also illegal - the bishop, if nothing was in the way, could only get to a2, a4, d1, c2, c4, d5, e6, f7, or g8.

But yes, the board is 8x8 and each square is identified by a letter and number combination, and each piece by its initial (except King uses K, so Knight uses N to avoid confusion).

And by the way I will destroy anyone from this board at chess, if you didn't already know.

Originally posted by onesandzeros

I was never really that into chess. I was raised on backgammon. I always took that as a superior game. Too bad I couldn't find someone to play against now to save my life....

funny cause it was the same way with me as well. never really learned chess, but i did enjoy the idea of it, but hot damn do i love backgammon. great game that i was raised on.

Anyone who wants an opponent (usually a good one) can get one 24/7 at www.chessclub.com . Go there and sign up for the free 7-day trial (or just sign on as a guest) and start playing in minutes (sometimes seconds). (You will have to do a quick, free 1-time download of the interface software called Blitzin, which lets you play using the mouse.) If you don't get how the site works you can ask questions in a help channel.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

funny cause it was the same way with me as well. never really learned chess, but i did enjoy the idea of it, but hot damn do i love backgammon. great game that i was raised on.

Damn, I figured that no one on this board would even know of backgammon, let alone be there someone that was actually into it. I'm real out of practice, but goddamn, if you and I ever cross paths, fuck graff, Its on.

Originally posted by onesandzeros

Damn, I figured that no one on this board would even know of backgammon, let alone be there someone that was actually into it. I'm real out of practice, but goddamn, if you and I ever cross paths, fuck graff, Its on.

hahahah yeah me too man, its a word i havent heard in ages, and im rusty as hell as well. but yeah man, i enjoy a nice game of backgammon with a nice glass of brandy and a cigar. and a friendly game.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

And by the way I will destroy anyone from this board at chess, if you didn't already know.

Hmmmm. your theory may be a little better versed than mine.. but do you move about the board with the skill and cunning needed to take down the homey known as Grandmaster Avils ? ;)

Guest wakassOATH

yea back gammon is also a real chill game .. i used to play it with my dad on his hippie backgammon set .. christ i think i forgot how to play

my roommate and her boy play backgammon everynight. i swear they almost come to throwing punches everytime.

chess oh my loathesome enemy. my boy is a state champ wth that game and he loves to make me play and then whoop up on me everytime. i think he just likes to beat the pants off me. i don't think i'll ever be good at it, even though we play every couple days.

oh well.

anyone have any good tips? any good starting moves? take over the center or whatever. I'd never played before a couple months ago. EVER!

Help!

about the whole not having anyone to play thing...i run into the same problem with my star wars trivial pursuit...im the fucking mack at the game but nobody i know can hang so nobody ever wants to play...so it just sits on the shelf staring at me...im fucking pathetic

Originally posted by ubejinxed

chess oh my loathesome enemy. my boy is a state champ wth that game and he loves to make me play and then whoop up on me everytime.

What's his name? (If it wouldn't give away your location.) I might have heard of him, or even played him.

And yes avils, I have the stuff, and it's not classy to take the Grandmaster title in vain.

Archived