korny 2012

watson

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: kony 2012

i skipped page 3, cause all your ignorant babble was making me yawn, but given the obnoxious group think on this board, i doubt anything changed.

the organization wasn't started to feed starving kids in uganda, it was started to bring exposure to the situation, thats why only 32%, or 50% goes to the kids. the rest is going to 'illegal lobbying', i.e.: trying to get the government to get involved and assist the ugandan government, which was the focus of the entire thing. ya'll fools acting like they're just skimming off the top and buying hookers. yes, its tough to watch some white uppity ass privileged kids get all upset about something thats been going on for thousands of years, but so what? so we're just supposed to let it keep happening cause it been happening? cause the dude behind it looks like a douche? maybe he does, but for 10 years he's been working on something far more noble than any motherfucker here has. fail or succeed, look like a total douche in a picture with a rocket launcher, he still attempted something that served no other purpose than trying to help others. fuck y'all did? racked some paint? caught tags on bitches and posted them on the internet?

y'all do realize you're being as cliche as you're accusing these people of. if they're hipsters who only like something on fb to see cool, y'all are only hating to seem cool. this situation is fucked up and no matter how long its gone on, if theres an opportunity to stop it, thats a pretty big goal. not because taking out this one dude will save the world, but because of the message it sends. that in a time where no one trusts any politicians and we're all so fucking jaded that we can't even respect someones good intentions, that people can still make a difference. maybe its just sharing something on fb, making its donating a few dollars, but it all adds up to something larger and sets a president that could be applied to any number of different situations. one of which may someday matter to you. pathetic fucks.

this

i skipped page 3, cause all your ignorant babble was making me yawn, but given the obnoxious group think on this board, i doubt anything changed.

the organization wasn't started to feed starving kids in uganda, it was started to bring exposure to the situation, thats why only 32%, or 50% goes to the kids. the rest is going to 'illegal lobbying', i.e.: trying to get the government to get involved and assist the ugandan government, which was the focus of the entire thing. ya'll fools acting like they're just skimming off the top and buying hookers. yes, its tough to watch some white uppity ass privileged kids get all upset about something thats been going on for thousands of years, but so what? so we're just supposed to let it keep happening cause it been happening? cause the dude behind it looks like a douche? maybe he does, but for 10 years he's been working on something far more noble than any motherfucker here has. fail or succeed, look like a total douche in a picture with a rocket launcher, he still attempted something that served no other purpose than trying to help others. fuck y'all did? racked some paint? caught tags on bitches and posted them on the internet?

y'all do realize you're being as cliche as you're accusing these people of. if they're hipsters who only like something on fb to see cool, y'all are only hating to seem cool. this situation is fucked up and no matter how long its gone on, if theres an opportunity to stop it, thats a pretty big goal. not because taking out this one dude will save the world, but because of the message it sends. that in a time where no one trusts any politicians and we're all so fucking jaded that we can't even respect someones good intentions, that people can still make a difference. maybe its just sharing something on fb, making its donating a few dollars, but it all adds up to something larger and sets a president that could be applied to any number of different situations. one of which may someday matter to you. pathetic fucks.

I can't believe I just read a rant from Seeking and agreed with it 100%.

hellhasfrozenover.jpg

It seems like the concept of activism/altruism is almost completely foreign to an entire generation of Americans. That's why OWS gets slammed for not having a focus or why the folks behind this video are under the financial microscope.

Give it another few years...I think people are starting to realize that we can't stay isolated from one another on an interpersonal level. If that's what it take for there to be a sea change, I'm fine with that.

Actually i said that the 32% that manages to make it out of these dudes pockets goes to supporting military involvement. PARTICULARLY, a rebel military involvement. And this particular rebel miltitary, SHOCKINGLY ENOUGH is doing the same EXACT FUCKING THING KONY DID.

also: Precedent*

Actually i said that the 32% that manages to make it out of these dudes pockets goes to supporting military involvement. PARTICULARLY, a rebel military involvement. And this particular rebel miltitary, SHOCKINGLY ENOUGH is doing the same EXACT FUCKING THING KONY DID.

also: Precedent*

the same argument can be made about the US ARMY as well as the NYPD if you wanna talk documented arrests and corruption. Cases of rape on women AND men, with plungers and broom sticks, bribery, payoffs, gun trafficking, drugs, murder, you name it. You're speaking in black and white, and in that sense no one organization has a clean record.

Actually i was talking about raping, looting, and child enslavement.

But what exactly is the point you're making? Cause i really don't see it at all. Are you saying that we should keep the money here and work on uncorrupting our own shit? Or are you saying that we should keep sending money to kony2012 so we can support a new regime of people doing the same thing, cause hey "at least we got that one guy"

yep

Opinion 1: Joseph Kony is a horrible human being and war criminal

Who believes this: everyone, basically, except Rush Limbaugh and, we assume, Joseph Kony.

What it entails: There's almost no dispute that Kony is a very bad dude. As the head of the Lord's Resistance Army, a violent syncretic Christian guerilla group, he's conscripted somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 children to fight as soldiers over the last 20-plus years, and his army committed unbelievable atrocities in northern Uganda before being forced out of the country. He's now believed to be in the Central African Republic — on the run from the Ugandan army — where (a greatly reduced) LRA continues to inflict harm and sow chaos.

The problem with this opinion: Actually, there's no problem with the opinion that Joseph Kony sucks. The problem is figuring out the next step: given that Joseph Kony sucks, what's the best thing that the U.S. can do to help Ugandans and other Africans affected by him?

Opinion 2: the U.S. military should intervene to find and arrest Kony

Who believes this: Invisible Children, the charity behind the "Kony 2012" campaign

What it entails: Currently, there are 100 military advisors deployed to Uganda to assist the country's army in hunting down Kony. Invisible Children, a charity that's been agitating around the issue of child soldiers and the LRA through totally hip/cool/gnarly/extreme filmmaking and social media campaigns, appears to believe that the U.S. government is wavering on its commitment to the mission. Kony 2012, with its, you guessed it, 30-minute film and extensive social-media component, is designed to not just raise awareness about Kony — to "make him famous" — but also to ensure that the government knows that "people care about Kony." Not, like, his mom, or whatever — care about capturing him.

The problem with this opinion: Well, it's at best a gross oversimplification of a really complicated situation, and, at worst, an actively unhelpful misuse of resources and attention. Also, guys, that video? Was there not a black kid available?

Opinion 3: the U.S. military should not intervene

Who believes this: Writers in Foreign Policy and Foreign Affairs

What it entails: Not only are U.S. troops deployed in Uganda right now, but the U.S. military has assisted with operations to capture — or, failing that, kill — Kony in the past. They've never succeeded (duh), and in many cases have made the situation worse, prompting vicious retaliatory strikes by the LRA and killing whatever small chance at peace talks might be left. Oh, and the Ugandan government and its army have a good human rights record only in comparison to Kony — they've been accused of rape and looting, and their efforts to stamp out the LRA have involved forced relocation of civilians to terrible living conditions in poorly-protected camps.

The problem with this opinion: Invisible Children argues that the Ugandan government and military — not to mention the governments and militaries of the other countries affected by the LRA — can't effectively deal with Kony without the equipment, training and coordination that the U.S. could provide.

Opinion 4: Invisible Children is misusing funds, misrepresenting facts and possibly making the situation in Uganda worse

Who believes this: A number of journalists, NGO workers, African activists and academics — most prominently the blog "Visible Children"

What it entails: Invisible Children is more like a hip social media filmmaking company than a charity — last year just under a third of the money it spent was on "direct services." The video is misleading and simple — it glosses over the fact that Kony left Uganda years ago, and that his army has been reduced to a few hundred people. There's a whiff of the "change your profile picture to a cartoon character to protest child abuse" about the whole campaign ("share this video and you've done all you need to do to help Africa") especially because Uganda faces more pressing issues and problems than Kony. Plus, there's that nagging sense of weird racial and colonial politics: the fact that Invisible Children's film centers around a white kid, the way its main objective is to guarantee U.S. involvement (no matter the cost), the picture that's been circulating (see it above) of the founders posing with the not-exactly-the-good-guys of the Sudanese People's Liberation Army while holding heavy-duty weaponry and putting on their best gangster grills. All of which adds up to the unfortunate message of "well-meaning westerners will save Africa," when history has generally proven the opposite to be true.

The problem with this opinion: Not to gloss over the complexity of the situation, but: What could possibly be the problem with raising awareness? How on earth can it be a bad thing to call attention to the fact that a horrible war criminal is still at large?

this meme shit is one of the most subversively destructive things ever to happen to society.

you can take something serious and no matter how awful, after 2 or 3 pictures of kittens and stupid puns, all of a sudden it's become a complete joke and the severity of the entire situation is laughed off.

to me, that shit is far worse than any do-good hipster. weve become an entire country of perpetual 15 year old girls too frightened to have your own beliefs so we use irony and indifference as some sort of comical shield. fucking pathetic.

This is about the realest shit I've ever read on 12oz.

You sir, are now my friend.

If it is in our power to prevent something bad from happening, without thereby sacrificing anything of comparable moral importance, we ought, morally, to do it.

Neither our distance from a preventable evil nor the number of other people who, in respect to that evil, are in the same situation as we are, lessens our obligation to mitigate or prevent that evil.
--- Peter Singer, from his essay Famine, Affluence and Morality

yes.

but kind of what seeking was hitting on, a lot of people are expressing care/concern/empathy for africa for the first time in their lives. and then after openly admitting that they had their heartstrings tugged on they're being called 'morons for not researching more' and being turned into a meme.

yes, IC needs criticism but the backlash for buying into a weak charity is going to prevent a lot of people from future involvement in ANY charitable cause.

shame on IC and shame on the critics that aren't directing the disappointed to more legit charities.

I hate a lot of things

I hate a lot of people that are lame

I like to hate stuff

Cause then I don't have to try and make

A change

I hate teachers

I hate school

I hate the cheerleaders

And anyone who's cool

I hate the office

I hate the Quad

Don't wanna learn nothing

I want to be a slob

It's cool to hate

It's cool to hate

I don't like nothing and I like that fine

(Liking something's just a waste of time)

It's cool to hate

It's cool to hate

I don't like nothing and I like that fine

I don't like nothing and like that fine

Yeah I hate everything

I even hate you too

So fuck you

I'm always thinking bad

I never have nothing good to say

I'd rather tear things down

Than build them up

It's easier that way

I hate the jocks

And I hate the geeks

I hate the trendies

But I also hate the freaks

I hate Dr. Martens

And Muscle T's

I'm only happy when I'm in my misery

I'll cut you down and give you lip

Being positive's so unhip

I'll cut you down cause I'm a fool

Being positive's so uncool

I hate the jocks

And I hate the geeks

I hate the trendies

But I also hate the freaks

I hate your band

And I hate TV

I'm only happy when I'm in my misery

@ Fist

I guess thats where I differ with you man. I don't see anything good, caring, concerning, empathetic about liking a video. I see people being forced to feel guilty about living far away from Uganda, and a whole lot of americans passing the buck... then feeling self righteous about what a good buck passer they are. Think about the entire message of that video: "Pass the buck to us, so we can pass the buck to the united states government, because we much rather sell teeshirts, make videos, and whine to Obama than do anything for ourselves."

Oh, I wasn't talking about the video.

I was talking about the situation in Uganda or anywhere on Earth for that matter, where human suffering continues because of the West's flawed moral intuitions.

I suppose it doesn't have to be narrowed down to the West either, just any place/country/society/person that is in a position to ease someone elses suffering.