KONY 2012

Stench Trench

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to clarify a few things about the video:

1. That guy had NOTHING to do with Obama wanting to send troops into Uganda. He was talking about sending troops into Uganda before he was even elected.

2. Facebook is NOT EVER going to change ANYTHING in america. White people need to stop thinking that "liking" a video and spreading around a viral youtube flick is going to do anything.

3. Like I said in the channel Zero thread about the exact same thing, the word of the day here is QUALIFICATIONS. I don't see how an emo haircut dude that talks to everyone like we're the same age as his son is Qualified to lead the united states military into war against Ugandan rebels. I'm a liberal and I fucking HATE this when Bleeding Heart white people are stuck on this idea that the United States Government is a charity organization for the entire world.

3.5 I want genocidal lunatics dead as much as the next guy and as a red-blooded man I too have the urge to go leave the sanctuary for lazy white people that is "America" for the ass-backwards motherland of Africa. That doesn't mean I'm QUALIFIED to do so. Matter fact, strap up those kids with their matching team-building teeshirts and have them go kill Kony themselves. If their parents can afford college they can afford to buy Jake and Tiffany an AK and a plane ticket. They're up against a bunch of ten year olds. How hard could it be? I would like to think that they're qualified to civilize Uganda in some other way but from that video their skill set seems to be: wear uniforms, chant in unison. Sounds like an army to me. (half joking)

• Like 1

I'm going to post what I said about this thing on facebook here too.

that Kony documentary is like the African documentary equivalent of Grey's Anatomy! Sentimental, tug at your heartstrings bollocks.

No doubt the man should be stopped, but funding the Ugandan military(who are similarly bad) and advocating US army intervention is NOT the way to go.

And a celebrity street art campaign may make you feel edgy and like your 'changing the world', but it's actually incredibly patronising if not downright offensive to all those kids who have had their faces cut off.

i don't disagree with most of your sentiments soup/ieatbabies.

the video is intentionally fairly vague--its propaganda, and there are a lot of critics re: how inefficient their funds are(as with every not for profit), but i see merit in drawing attention to something that is absolutely in the dark.

this falls into the 'world police' element of the US military which i will not support direct action, and training an army of adults who will likely be as 'evil' as the army of children might not be the most wise decision. i'm going to support this in that i will draw attention to it, posting the link and sharing what i know with others about it.

2. Facebook is NOT EVER going to change ANYTHING in america.

Except for the fact that it's already changed the cultural landscape in America and the way kids develop relationships with each other as they grow up living on FB, which will inevitably be reflected in the way they run the world once they inherit it.

As for changing things in AFRICA, you're probably right for the time being.

i agree with^the first statement. i've seen campaigns started on facebook that made companies change a policy or brought awareness to an issue that then had an actual result (like a stiffer penalty for an animal abuser)

possibly you get too jaded to see it.

and while africa wasn't changed much by facebook, many agree that twitter and youtube had a lot to do with the Arab Spring, which likely never would have happened without social media (and yes, part of that occurred in AFRICA)

Yes, facebook is the 2010 version of cocaine. Ask a family hit by the drug if they think that is even remotely close to being accurate.

This guy was simply trying to grab attention to an issue. I agree liking a video on facebook isn't going to do anything, but passing on the information will. It creates awareness, it's something people try to do all the time with diseases and other charitable causes. To say that facebook isn't the perfect tool for this, because people use it for petty and useless reasons is kind of lame.

To each his own, I agree 100% that the U.S. Military isn't a global police force, but since we are behaving like that anyway, why not actually do some good? How could you defend our involvement in other 3rd world nations to "spread democracy", but not to stop genocide, the mutilation and raping of children.

Besides, they aren't sending troops over there to fight, and give up their lives, they are sending them over to train a force to do the job themselves.

Well versed in spin… he pimped his own kid.

I felt so heartless (and bored) watching the video yesterday, when am I supposed to feel something? Guilty now? What about now? Not yet.. The whole thing was about this guy and his kid and how they want to make movies and save Africa. So it finished (finally, 10 mins too long) and all I could think was “Gavin's dad is a dick.”

The power of social media (used intelligently / propaganda or not) is fucking incredible.

I'd like to see Kony captured and put before the ICC. There's a lot of injustice in the world. Think global, act local.

But thats just obvious, right?

Yes, facebook is the 2010 version of cocaine. Ask a family hit by the drug if they think that is even remotely close to being accurate.

Hey man I've seen families torn apart by Facebook. Don't even joke about that.

This guy was simply trying to grab attention to an issue. I agree liking a video on facebook isn't going to do anything, but passing on the information will. It creates awareness, it's something people try to do all the time with diseases and other charitable causes. To say that facebook isn't the perfect tool for this, because people use it for petty and useless reasons is kind of lame.

Im sorry not everybody's in love with every white person acting like a social activist on youtube. If this is the guy who broke your sad-uganda-story cherry, that says more about you than him. There's been TONS of news articles, movies, etc made on the subject for the last twenty years. A few years ago "Johnny Mad Dog" came out. Awesome movie. Point is this has been going on for decades, so where've you been? And lets talk about WHY he posted that video: He wants your money. He wants you to donate to HIS charitable organization, over all the other charitable organizations that provide aid to uganda.

Now charity in america is big business. The guys who run that "dollar a day for a child in need" bullshit on tv live on giant estates in Liberia with servants and the whole nine. They aren't jesus dying on the cross for our sins. They're running companies, and like any company you as the consumer should be aware of the product you're buying into.

In this case the product is a cure-all for the guilt of being in a higher class than other people. Normally I would use the term "white guilt" but really its "class guilt." You wish poor people didn't have poor people problems so you donate money to poor people. In this case you give money to a rich white person who promises to give that money to poor people, but is he really? You have to do the research on this guy's organization and make that call for yourself.

To each his own, I agree 100% that the U.S. Military isn't a global police force, but since we are behaving like that anyway, why not actually do some good? How could you defend our involvement in other 3rd world nations to "spread democracy", but not to stop genocide, the mutilation and raping of children.

Uh, because we suck at it? Has our liberation tactics for cuba (spanish american war), vietnam, afghanistan, iraq, and now iran been ANY indicator that we're not really cut out to be liberators of the world?

Besides, they aren't sending troops over there to fight, and give up their lives, they are sending them over to train a force to do the job themselves.

What you need is someone to go over there and establish a fucking infrastructure, build roads, seaports, airports, ways of getting trade going in Uganda so that an economy can build and people would be able to work, make money, become more independent and less dependent on joining a group of midevil bandits who rape and pillage villages. What you need is for are private companies to take an interest in the area, set up some sweat shops and get these fuckers out of poverty.

See, the way you change a far part of the world is by connecting them to your part of the world. Facebook doesn't do that. Economies do. American consumers caring about what happens to sweatshop workers in China only happened because we buy things made by them.

• Like 1

You took basically everything I said and took it somewhere where I wasn't going.

I agree with most of what you said too. The point I was making is, if you are going to go around rebuilding nations, sending aide, and starting wars for the sake of "spreading democracy" and stopping terrorism, isn't this terrorism? Why not try to stop this.

I clearly don't support U.S. intervention all over the world, If you read any of my posts I think you'd notice that.

And of course liking a video on facebook isn't going to change anything, but that's not all of what he was asking you to do, but I don't care about his charity, or this conversation. So, continue railing it into the ground and demanding them to show how they use the money they are given to help capture Kony or drink expensive coffee. I wish people were that passionate about things that mattered here.

I wish people were that passionate about things that mattered here.

I think my response to you was on point. Right here ^^^^ is one more example of an american saying "I wish someone would do something about that africa thing." Why don't you go fucking do something if it matters to you so much? Why the fuck are you waiting for someone else? Everybody is online right now telling everyone else to watch this shitty video and do something about Uganda, but NOBODY is doing it for themselves so fuck off with your liberal guilt. I've got enough of it already.

I think my response to you was on point. Right here ^^^^ is one more example of an american saying "I wish someone would do something about that africa thing." Why don't you go fucking do something if it matters to you so much? Why the fuck are you waiting for someone else? Everybody is online right now telling everyone else to watch this shitty video and do something about Uganda, but NOBODY is doing it for themselves so fuck off with your liberal guilt. I've got enough of it already.

No, wrong.

That's not what that meant, I'm talking about being more passionate about issues HERE.

I am a Libertarian, stop calling me a Liberal, you fucking idiot.

Keep your speeches to yourself, thx and goodnight.

I know my way around a financial statement, I do this for a living. Theirs is a mess. I wouldn't suggest giving these losers anything. They already have all the money they need, and a bunch more. Besides money isn't the main factor in achieving their goal, if anything it should be the last thing holding them back with this kind of maketting. They very well could have mobilized a population and ended it with write a letter to your member of congress instead of donate here!

• Like 1

I leave you with the following two links.

And a comment from one of the links that pretty much sums up everything about the current situation:

A video like this would have been nice 10 years ago, but now it is completely misleading and paints Uganda in a negative light.

Child soldiers are no longer a problem in Uganda and the country is peaceful. Kony has been driven out of Uganda in 2006 and the country has since moved on. They took care of their own problems without help from the west.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/03/09/some-ugandans-critical-of-kony-2012/

and this:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

Which is a blog form someone who lived in Uganda.

6827025696_396c05dbc7.jpg