Should I take up an offer on a free houseboat?

soulstealer

I work on floating homes know alot about them and what not......So, I found a old decrepit man who owns two homes and is getting so old he's gonna have to live with his son. He has a unfinished two story in bad shape that he build before he had begun to age. (he was an architect/ artist) the house has lots of character Eithe he has to pay some one to dismantle it or give it away. with my estimations it needs between a easy 10,000 to 15,000 to renovate. The moorage fees would be 300$ a month which is less than my studio apt. Moorage fees = rent for a space in a houseboat moorage

What would some of you better established guys do? Gamble and take that shit possibly make a hard earned 20-30 thousand? or say no and offer to dismantle it for him, for pay?

Will post pictures later...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Under normal circumstances you never look a gift horse in the mouth.

But those aren't normal circumstances.

Dude probably wants the peace of mind of it to going to somebody who will take care of it rather than scrap it, but unless you're balling like that and super motivated to put in that work then it's probably not worth it.

Boats are money pits.

If he's willing to pay you to dismantle it then that's the route I'd personally go.

Just tell him you appreciate the offer but you're just not financially set to do anything with it.

If you know how to work on boats, go for it. Houseboats are cool.

I've been wanting to live on a boat for a while but haven't found anything...I should probably go to some auctions.

If you don't mind me asking, where is it?

A house is a money pit. House boats are different because of the floatation divers put under it every year to maintain bouyancy. I just happen to be a diver that maintains the floatation in the area....:) its in felida moorage in wash.

Financially it could be done. Over along period of time and hustling materials

My girls dad is in the construction material biz. He just told me he would I've me as much drywall as I can fit in his trailer. So imagine the other deals he could get!!

Also. The main line posts up about 50ft away from the place daily.

• Like 1

I had a chance to buy one for basically what dude had tied up in it, slip included. He needed cash in a hurry. I wasn't sure how much of a investment/pit it was gonna be, so I passed. Come to find out that the marina where it was moored had a waiting list of 6+ years and I could have sold the slip for more than than he wanted for the boat.

Cool story bro

If you can do the work and the slip fee is less than your rent, do it.

Sounds like a good idea.

bouvier_des_flandres_03a.jpg

big-dog12.jpg