applied for job and hardly qualified, yet somehow hired

Gnarly Sheen

I don't check 12 often, but i figured I'd reach out... and I avoided CH0 because that shit's progressively gotten less interesting over the years.

Anyways, how often does this happen? Anyone in the oontz ream have any experience completely bull shitting their way into a position they knew hardly anything about and it actually working out?

I had a phone interview yesterday for a marketing position- While i don't possess a degree in marketing or business, i have some relative experience. Surprisingly the interview went very well and was asked to have a face-to-face interview. I don't expect to get the job, I'm just curious on if any oontzers have had any experience taking on a job they had little experience in.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a relative of mine lied about having a degree.. she even claimed she had a Master's. only had a HD diploma.

she worked that job for years and no one found out..

over time we weren't in touch anymore, so i don't know how things turned out.. but she was sued for fraud by her former husband, so scams were a serious thing for her.

you might also recall the scientist the FBI was trailing as the suspected anthrax guy, Hatfield, who actually turned out NOT to be the guy.. in the process of the intense investigation though, they figured out that although he had a lot of education and some real credentials, he'd lied about having a PhD

i think this shit happens all the time.

i'm a great bullshitter so you just have to make sure people believe the lie... don't overextend yourself, and try to find a contact you can ask questions of if you get in over your head

As I'm sure you know, employers generally have a good idea of who they are looking for, so even if you don't feel like you're very experienced in this field, the fact that they want to touch base with you again suggests you could be all right.

Then again, if you don't expect the job in the first place, none of this even matters. Go the interview like you expect it though.

OMG CHANNEL ZERO FELL OFF I MISS THE GLORY DAYS

Sound advice.

I'm not a bullshitter. I never lied about my experience and I possess my BA in Education... i only molded my past experiences and general interests into something they were looking for. I'm confident and hope that stands up face-to-face. We'll see though...

Fuckin' wild someone could lie about having a masters or PHD though... That's some Fank William Abagnale, Jr. shit.

Oh and Ch0 is ridiculous. What happened?

In the end, buddy, its all about closing the sale(by closing the sale I mean selling your skillset as an asset.) If you are confident and cool then you can b.s. your way into all kinds of opportunities. It partially depends on the industry you are trying to get into, some industries are diligent about checking credentials, others not as much. There is a sweet spot between looking so good its hard to believe that you would take the job you are trying to get, and on the other hand, just barely having the right set of credentials.

Ha, those comments on the resume are awesome.

I had related experience and a few skills for the job I'm in now but no real experience when I started. The employer knew that so all was cool and I just worked hard, read as much as I could and asked questions and everything turned out well years later. Just be inquisitive, don't try and create an image that reality won't match up to and work hard, I reckon.

My ex who worked for a massive international hotel chain had one of the big bosses on a significant 7 figure salary fired and sued for having a resume that was totally fake. I guess he wasn't actually performing either as the fraud would be irrelevant if he was making the company money.

Worst one I know about is Chinese commercial pilots lying about qualifications and hours of flying time to get jobs. How that country hasn't seen a bounty of air disasters I'll never know.

• Like 1

that ^^way up there^^^ reminds me, my old boss used to say chinese M.D.s were a dime-a-dozen, they apparently hand them medical degrees at the airport or some shit :haha:

i no longer have to lie, though i could easily get away with saying i have a PhD..

science can be like that, if you spend long enough working in the lab you can learn more than a PhD

as for the chick i knew who did that, she worked for an insurance company as a liason btw them and the medical field.. i think she just knew her shit. that said, i think she's not made much out of her life.

Someone I met through 12 oz tried to hook me up with a web marketing job a few years back. I told him I didn't know anything about the field or have the BA or experience necessary to get the job and he said "And you think I do? Just pretend like you know what you're talking about, almost everyone here bullshitted their way through the interview process."

I've fudged a bit on my references (who hasn't?) but I tend to apply for jobs I know I can do in my sleep.

i sincerely wish you the best gnarly. Hope its not what i think it is.

You show up for the interview. It goes well and you get the job but when

you go in your first day everyone is chanting wierd shit running around

at 6 am like they out they damn minds. Then they take you into a room

and have you practice a pitch for selling disney books or car jumpstarters

or some shit. Then you watch everybody load a bunch of consigned junk

in their trunks are run around the city hustling and not really making any money.

The ad says warehouse position or marketing or promotions. It sounds and

seems legit but its nothing like what they make it seem

^^^ Yeah, fuckers. I too had my time wasted by those pricks when I was like 18. Fucking criminal the shit they spin to people just to get them to turn up to the interview. Even then they don't tell them shit they say, look we've lined up for you to go out with one of our top reps for the day, great opportunity for you, blah blah balh and next thing you know you're walking the streets, knocking on doors or annoying the shit out of people as they try to do their work.

If you were allowed to punch idiots there would be a lot less of them in the world.

unfortunately in my job you cannot rise to the occasion, if you are not trained for the job you will sink like a fucking stone.

In other news:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/ing-takes-a-30m-hit-in-accountancy-fraud-case-20120215-1t6ru.html

"It is understood Subramaniam did not have any formal accounting qualifications, but had worked her way up from the position of assistant accountant.

"

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked to come to the final interview and talk to the marketing team, but didn't consider the position any further. The second interview went really well though and I'm pretty sure they would have hired me. The working environment was not for me though (cubical, room with no windows, ugly people everywhere)... and my potential boss basically said she's a bitch when she's stressed and is always stressed.

So the hunt continues for a better job.

Thanks 12oz for not being gay. Glad I didn't put this in CH0. Shit would have been filled with all sorts of nonsense.