Box of old comics ރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރރ

McLovin

fmhq2w.jpg

Most are 1970s marvel comics. im thinking of selling them but dont want to get ripped off. i checked a few online and similar comics of that era most were worth with in 2-4 dollar range. I also have some that are unopened that might be worth more.

Not sure what the fist step should be, any advise??

:confused:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

1. go buy bags/boards, wash your hands, put on gloves and put them in there.

be wary of bumping corners, scuffing bindings, etc. THIS SHIT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

2. make a list of what you have. 2-4 bucks does add up, but its usually not worth your time. you need to find out if there is anything significant about anything you own--first appearances, deaths, etc. complete runs of story arcs are good, too. invest in a current price guide, you can prob find a used one on amazon or ebay too

3. people think comics are inherently valuable, that 2 bucks listed price, means you can sell it for 2 bucks. wrong. comics are everywhere, if its not a particularly rare or significant issue, no one will buy it, period. your best bet is to find someone who just wants to collect them for the sake of saving them. (just like baseball cards: if beckett says its worth 5 bucks, that means that a card shop can sell it for 5 bucks--they'll but it for $3 so they can turn a profit and make it worth their while).

step 1 is the most important, the 10-20 bucks you spend on bags and boards will be paid off if you have anything worthwhile, and if you don't, you've at least protected the comics for those that might be interested. and fucked up corners can drop a comic from NM to F real fast. also, no one will buy your comics if they aren't bagged/boarded unless you have something you don't realize is important.

good luck on getting money on something that isn't rare. people always say they'll save it for their kids, but everyone is saving the shit for their kids and though they become more and more rare, there have been so many fucking shitty comics put out by all labels in all story lines that its unlikely you're sitting on a gold mine--but you might be. :)

hey guy thanks for that info. Anything helps. my first thought was to just take it to some comic store and see if they can make an appraisal but, I doubt they're any honest people in the world anymore. I guess you just got to do things yourself to get shit right

the bottom really fell out of this stuff

baseball cards and comics aren't worth much compared to how hot this shit was 20 years ago

i'd lower expectations and bundle it on ebay, but that's me

i'm just holding onto my comics and hoping i come across a kid who really wants them (so i can give them away)

think of taking it to a comic store like taking it to a pawn shop

since they'll be looking to make money offa your collection, they will offer you the absolute minimum

i have almost every marvel SERIES cards that came out... im holding on to them for my son, i went on ebay and a lot of them go for 2 or 3 dollars all my hologram ones go for good money ... i guess the best thing to do is hold on to them on till it gets popular again bcuz everything comes back around (look @ all the marvel movies thats coming out) and im sitting on a NICE collection -2 nike boxs of cards

if i can make a suggestion...

unless your REALLY hurting for money, hold on to them, the economy is SO bad you wont get shit for them. dont even shop them around, dont bundle them no bullshit like that.

i have a serious amount of toys, comics, baseball card and all sorts of shit and i would not sell them in this economic climate. also, having things like that are always good for trading if you find someone who is super into comics or collectables. like it was stated above, get bags and backing put them in a safe place and forget about them... things like this are great to hand down to kids or the like...

Fist and IHU covered it pretty well.

You're better off letting something like this marinate (and preserving them properly). I have a decent sized collection from the 70s and 80s and few are worth past 10 dollars...I looked into selling them a while ago and it just isn't worth it now, plus they have sentimental value to me. Best to wait for the economy to improve and some time to go by to pump a few more quarters into their value. That, and you can always cross your fingers that Hollywood will make a movie centered around a hero/villain that you have the first appearance of

Also, not to be a dick but just to be realistic, unless you're looking at "mainstream" franchises, you shouldn't get your hopes up too much. Something via Marvel like X-Men or Spiderman is always good to hang on to regardless of value, just because it's a cool pop culture item at the least. Those are also what you should expect to see money from, if anything. Wouldn't get too excited about things like Devil Dinosaur appreciating in value though ha...

75 dollars is pretty good. i haven't had the time to really dig into them but 75 bucks is pretty good, not like some rare 200 dollar comics i dont expect to have any "if any actually exist " but things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. i dont have any sentimental attachment to them. i dont think i will be selling them anytime soon, just wanted to see if anyone had some advice. Fist does know his stuff though

75 for a silver or current era comic isn't bad, considering a heavy majority of comics with a $1-4 cover price are usually valued at $0.25 each, tops.

if you treat comics as an investment you're silly, most of it will never be worth what you paid for it, with inflation and everything else you might break even.

i've spent thousands on comics and comic memorabilia, its unlikely that i'll make much of it back. i've got some very rare preacher and goon stuff that i might try to sell when the respective movies come out, but more likely i'll just keep it and enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 1

oh btw, i meant 75 in the grand scheme of things, is a drop in the bucket.

i agree that 75 for a comic is decent, and since these things are not the best as an investment, it may be worth it to keep them

obviously priorities are different for everyone, but i've definitely preferred holding onto mine, valuable or not