D • I • Y [do it yourself thread]

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
23 hours ago, aimer said:

@Hua Guofang3V system looks legit man! Keezer is sick too, I wanna upgrade my keg fridge to a keezer this year so I can have a few more on the go.. how many kegs can you fit in that?

Heres my ghetto electric 3V, wish I had a space like that to brew in haha

saasasffasfa.jpg

Nothing wrong with that setup, mate. Whilst I like working with gas, I do like the convenience of having everything connected to switches like you have there.

Do you recirculate through your mash or do you just let it sit?

My keezer fits 5 kegs, easily and could fit 6 at a squeeze. However that's a flooded font and I'll have a 20 litre jerry sitting on the hump with a pond pump recircing chilled water through the font on the warmer days. I'm going to put tow taps on the collar as well for the darker beers. That Andale font was a fuck to restore as I was sold some super-difficult line that barely expanded in hot water, making fitting it an utter bitch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

Do you recirculate through your mash or do you just let it sit?

Just let it sit at the moment, then have a sparge arm thats not in the picture to recirc and mash out at the end
HLT keggle is already drilled for a herms setup I just need make/buy a coil and pick up another temp controller to run it but that will probably be a project over summer.. will probably end up buying a counterflow chiller and repurposing my immersion chiller as the herms coil I think

How did you rate the robobrew? every now and then I consider downsizing to a 1v system I'm sure it'd make my brew days or at least the cleanup quicker/easier but I'm not sure if I'd get bored of it

I’m intending on making a hermit coil and don’t use the counter flow or the immersion chillers I have. I brew double batches with a mate who takes a cube home so I just end up no chilling as well these days. 

The robo 1.5 was shit. The space between the pipe and the kettle wall was to wide and the water ratios didn’t allow for an inch over the grain bed and insulate the grain pipe, so mash had varying temps throughout. 

The gen 3 is supposed to be better but I like to maximize time spent brewing so I do double batches, which aren’t possible with a robo. 

• 1 month later...

Nice. Probably better to skip the clear coat so she isn't introduced to chemicals accidentally. When I was that age or maybe a year older, I bit right into the shelf overhang of our console TV. Those big furniture, tube television sets, that was before solid state transistor. The tiny crescent teeth marks were there until we got rid of it years later.

• Like 1

The other day the power went out in the Magic Mouse that I was using. I thought it was the batteries so I changed them but no go. Closer inspection revealed that one of the POS(+) contacts was unstable. The mushroom head of the plastic rivet has sheered off. This allowed the contact to flap away from the battery instead of resistance for positive contact.

This link shows how to take one of these apart without breaking it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Mouse+Teardown/1240

I cut and folded a piece of cardboard and wedged in between the back of the contact and another component. Pictures and captions below:

1) POS(+) contact flaps away from battery.

2) Looking behind the good contact reveals the type of assembly and that the broken side was sheered off to a peg.

3) Folded piece of cardboard wedged in there.

4) Batteries in for testing before complete re-assembly.

5) Switched on, green LED confirms power source restoration.

1-POS-Contact.jpg

2-Mushroom-plastic-rivet.jpg

3-folded-cardboard.jpg

4-batteries-in.jpg

5-switch-ON.jpg

• Props 2

Posted this in the Your Day in Pies thread. Main drain backed up and turned out to be a crack in the drain pipe just before the septic system. $1.98 for a new elbow, $12 for a 10 ft pipe that I only needed about 10 inches from, already had the PVC glue and maybe a few minutes to cut the old joint off and glue on the new one. Stunk, but not as bad as you’d think. Digging wasn’t bad either. 

8678D068-20B7-44F6-9170-68B806790503.thumb.jpeg.15fd9f309adf6c616ff4bdcb7c62a856.jpeg

003736CB-59AC-4E76-8BAD-31F0639F894A.thumb.jpeg.ac1c21096bdfe01a61e0524e14517ff9.jpeg

003AACE8-B8BD-43BA-BAFC-4055CF4180D0.thumb.jpeg.b4ed87ae6ed4c7a704853ba156e0f576.jpeg

921080D6-3F32-4EBB-AD43-45D9DFB41972.thumb.jpeg.d975c58d1be42f1a68187edf4fa9838b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 2

I remember seeing this DIY in the YDiP thread. Good work on that fix. When you successfully do it yourself, it's always very rewarding and builds confidence for doing more sht.

This is a similar fix that was done at the beginning of this year. The shower drains were clogged but the toilets and sinks, and kitchen sink drains were fine. We tried to snake through the shower drain but it gets stuck just before the clog.

I took a chance by using some general logic by looking at the vent pipe on the roof and drew an imaginary line to the street from there. Started digging next to the house on that line. I was right on point! The age of my house means it's all iron under the slab then as soon at it leaves the foundation, the pipe changes to clay all the way to the city sewer line.

It was already dark that night so either I discovered the clay pipe of we found a human skull. The builders of the house just buried the main clean-out point. Why, I don't know. Cracked it open with a steel bar and now I have a main clean-out.

The following pictures show how I capped it for future access.

DIY_Sewer-cleanout-discovered.jpg

DIY_Sewer-cleanout-dug-around.jpg

DIY_Sewer-cleanout-pipe-coupler.jpg

DIY_Sewer-cleanout-capped.jpg

DIY_Sewer-cleanout-housed.jpg

• Props 1

• 3 months later...

Spent some time in the attic today. No, I don't mean I was alone in my own thoughts and contemplation. I mean actually up in the attic of my house.

Replaced the old range hood duct and installed an anti vermin grille at the exit end just for good measure. This was a one hour job that took me all fckin day because I don't do this regularly.  A contractor would've been done before lunch, but I would've had to pay for it.

range_vent_no_vermin.jpg

range_vent_installed.jpg

range_vent_sealed.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...