the internet is dead

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Scientist i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to soup.

I stopped listening to you when you sad that you were a shitty band on a shitty label. You should WANT people stealing your shit, at least then you would be getting your name out there, and you could tour... Which is where the real money is.

Basically if the world was South Park, you'd be MOOP.

assumed you were agreeing with this guy

Yeah. Don't really agree with that sentiment. Historically musicians never made much on record sales. Most of their millions came from concerts and merch. Record companies took home the majority of record profits and left shows and merch sales to the artists. It's only with the advent of the internet killing record sales that the last 3 remaining record companies are turning to the "360 deal" which means they take a piece of record sales, merch, and concerts.

If you're a musician in this day and age, I would make friends with a few computer nerds and manage/produce yourself.

If anyone's got half an hour to kill. Cliff notes: Katy Perry's hit album cost her record label 44 million to produce/publicize and only returned 8 million profit... but katy perry's doin good. That's the old way of doing business with tens of millions in overhead while the young youtube pioneers take home almost everything they earn.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/01/20/145538772/the-friday-podcast-katy-perrys-perfect-year

I applaud their "win" but Ive been in a few legal battles and this wasnt a real legal "battle" that was Fiat cutting a quick check to avoid a shit storm allong with all the rest of the bad press. Had this been any other wall and another company, the company would have exhausted the artists money as long as it would take just to win. This is the norm in the real world. This TATS crew case is dope for writers but not a realistic thing to expect.

And If I designed a tshirt and spent 10k on it, do you think Id be dumb enough to upload a high res version of it online? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And If I designed a tshirt and spent 10k on it, do you think Id be dumb enough to upload a high res version of it online? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on now, I'm talking about someone else ripping off you image and putting it out there for the world to use.

Scientist i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to soup.

I stopped listening to you when you sad that you were a shitty band on a shitty label. You should WANT people stealing your shit, at least then you would be getting your name out there, and you could tour... Which is where the real money is.

Basically if the world was South Park, you'd be MOOP.

By shitty band and shitty label I meant that I wasn't on Epic Records playing arenas with The Foo Fights. It was a label comparable in size and success to something like Epitaph Records.

Took us to every major city in the U.S. and every major country in the rest of the world.

Were we on MTV? No. . . did we get a gold record and a grammy? No. . . we got reviews in Alternative Press and Maximum Rock 'n Roll as Opposed to Rolling Stone and Hit Parade.

Does a small band want as many people to get their music as possible. . . even if it's for free? That's a complicated question. It's yes and no.

In order to tour, and sell T-Shirts (which is where the money is made) you need to have a booking agent. . . but no agent will represent you if you're not signed to a label, even a small, shitty one at that. And you wont play any real clubs unless you have good sound scans in those cities.

Nothing is free at a label, if they lay out $50k to record and advertize, you don't make a cent until all of that is recouped. So, if people steal your music to the extent where the label doesn't make their $50k back, you're a bad investment and your contract wont be renewed, and you wont be able to have an agent book you shows. So you wont tour and sell shirts, etc. . .

It's not as cut and dry as "I have lots of fans, I get lots of shows, I make lots of money".

There's a hundred different angles that need to be played.

what if you know the band and they told you verbally "use any of our music in your videos" but you get sued by the record label, can said band show up to court and slap a judge?

Only if they have the publishing rights. . . if they signed the rights over to the label, then they can't give you permission to use the song even if they wrote it.

Wait. . . did you say a verbal agreement? I wouldn't worry, A verbal agreement is the best form of proof you can have when in court. Don't ever get anything in writing, it'll only hurt your case.

I spent a ton of loot on Vinyl, Tapes and CD's growing up and it almost always felt like a rip off.

I honestly can't even remember the last time I payed a cover charge, even though I have the money.

I feel as if I'm under no obligation to pay someone for recorded music unless I'm using it to make money myself.

I do however provide shit tons of quality intelectual property for free almost every day because I love to do what I do.

Not going to say it isn't annoying when someone doesn't credit me but as far as ending the internet as we know it over it, I think I'd prefer to keep the internet.

YWxdf.jpg

Sick one bruz.