Workshops

CILONE/SK

what do you make in your workshop Cil?

Have neglected this thread.

Here is what I made last weekend. It took me 4 hours and everything (except for the top) is made from cheap 2x4's and 4x4's that I cleaned up, including the shelves. I wanted it to cost as little as possible. The shelves are removable and shift left and right.

I plan on painting it when I paint my deck.

Also, I got the piece of granite for $99. The whole thing cost me $140.

This thing is really rough compared to the finer things I make.

IMG_5337.jpg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have made many pieces of fine furniture in one stall garages with a low ceiling. I owned a townhome right outside Chicago once and I made due with 1-2 outlets (pics below). Pain in the ass, but doable.

Picture_0134.jpg

Picture_0133.jpg

The key to doing big things in a small shop is to plan ahead. The frames you see in the second pic are a blanket chest I made.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
ive cleaned up and rearranged since this pic. A lil clay, a lil silk screen, a lil paint...

studioy.jpg

its in there lol

studio4c.jpg

So I figured since this thread has made its return I might as well update my situation. Ever since I moved back to GA I have been revamping my workshop area this past year and accumilating a lot of tools to tinker with. %95 percent Harbor Freight tools but if you do your research on reviews some of there stuff is pretty good. Not too mention its nice to use a %20 coupon on a tool haha.

So what used to be a plain pole barn has been redone a bit with some acquired materials, almost all of it free. This is what the outside looks like now.

on5o.jpg

Ended up getting a direct power hookup instead of running off the house. Wired ten 120v outlets throughout where I work. wired two 220v for the kiln and a welder. Built the extension roof to smelt under during hot months, but its turned into a cover way to the new green house which will house my aquaponic system come the end of January.

Sadly with bringing the wall out the the end of the pole barn has left me with a dirt area, which I did fabricate a wood floor for but recently ripped it back up. Going to slowly concrete this in one section at a time and hopefully fabricate a good hood to take off the heat from my furnace and just smelt indoors....which is still risky haha.

b7u1.jpg

Love my big work table in the middle. Got two of these blue print drawer things from my bro in laws work.

b6do.jpg

When I feel like working with wood and the lathe.

2xqx.jpg

Got the welding table from my bro in laws work as well. For when I need some metal tools.

4rog.jpg

On the clay side of the studio. Had a bad leak destroying that far wall. I got a ton of glass (which I used for the green house) from a condemned home so the largest piece, 54x54 inches, I used to replace the wall. Brings in so much light. Moved the sink and put in an adjacent window on the back side.

4bm5.jpg

Kiln corridor

m846.jpg

I would love to have perfect shelves and matching everything but everything now functions as a makeshift setup. It works and is constantly evolving as I pursue different routes. Im sure once I find my direction I will be able to better the whole setup so that the main elements I use constantly can be readily accessed.

• Like 1

I moved my pictures in my photo bucket account and now they are not showing. I will post new pics in the next few days.

Shortfuse, I would rather have a wood floor instead of a concrete one. I would put dust collection in a wood floor, but not a cornet one. Electric outlets too.

Well I was frustrated with the one floor I had down. Fabricated the sub flooring out of pallets and covered it with t-111. I primarily do a lot of clay stuff so moisture was an issue. Also being that this past year Ive been doing a lot of metal casting or just overall heating to manipulate the metal make me not like the wood floor aspect for obvious reasons. So thats why I wanted to make a hood out of a 55 gallon drum or two to ventilate through the roof and just smelt indoors on the concrete. My furnace will kick out some serious heat and thats just with melting aluminum. Come the new year Im going to make a second furnace that will allow me to cast iron and that will REALLY put out heat, just about double to be honest. So thats why Im looking at doing concrete. Just a little at a time when I have some extra few bucks till its all done.

Oh and termites were an issue with the old floor so Im glad I ripped it up. Dust collection is my next issue. I track in so much outside dirt/clay on top of what I already produce. I hook up my shop vac and have 3 ports in the studio to aid in keeping the dust exhaust from inside my studio out. As for the electrical I have 2 on the ceiling, 2 on the left wall, 2 on the back wall, 3 on the right wall, and 1 on the outside of the right wall. Each wall has its own breaker and I know I can have at least 6 per breaker if I really wanted to, but Im more than happy with what I have now.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks man.

If these sell I'll make more.

I set up a Big Cartel Acct. waiting for my Paypal confirmation.

Which do you guys think is better, Etsy or Big Cartel? ]

I would say Etsy because it's more of a network of different artists selling their stuff, so you would be able to get your stuff out there more. I feel like you have to provide a direct link to your Big Cartel store most of the time, and it would be more for like if you were trying to build a specific brand independent of other things.

I saw someone mention etsy. You could sell everything through it. Even commissions. You can post reserved listings so that you can arrange specific people to purchase an item. What that does for you is allow you to showcase your work for others to see, and in sense if they like it the restriction might create a want in there mind. Ive come across a bunch of shops with very few non-reserved items. It also allows you to show youve had sales and received positive feed back which in turn makes people want to buy from you. The only downside to Etsy, to me that is, you have to play their game. What I mean is that it has a huge social media background to it. People can "favorite" and "admire" items in your shop or just your shop itself yet never buy anything. People can follow each other and in turn others can see who they follow. Its a good thing really for an artist, yet the double edge aspect of it is that I feel if you dont participate in the game people might see you as a "bad" etsy person.

On another note. Paypal has created what they call Working Capital. They chose 90 thousand Paypal users throughout the US and depending on there financial activity through Paypal they were offered loans. Each one qualified for a different amount. Upon given such an amount they were able to chose a percentage of pay back from each paypal transaction. I think it was anywhere from like 2 % to 18 %. No late fees, no minimum, just what ever percentage would come out of every incoming transaction done through paypal thus ensuring they got their cash. Genius idea really. Obviously you would have to be someone that uses paypal for a business to be able to use it, but still it would be something to work towards. My mother was actually one that got the opportunity to take advantage of it. Shes had an Ebay/Etsy business for years. She was offered 2500 which she only took a grand. Turned around and bought an Ipad Air for doing festivals. 3 months later she almost 50 % of it paid back with no credit detriment to her.

I heard recently there a plenty of banks that are pissed about Paypals thing. Theyre just mad they arent robbing people of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all that information. I've sold out of the original 10 "candleholders" I made.

I'll keep it moving.

Latest commision is for a dope local style writer.

The Formula

12490272615_9a03e2ca93_z.jpg

12488377865_13e1491c90_z.jpg

12505375134_b1fc653732_c.jpg

Still in the finishing process. Big thanks to CILONE/SK on some helpful tips on finishing this mahogany, which I don't get the pleasure of working with often.

...but got this today! Free lol

12529005895_a05ff433c6_z.jpg

Come UP!

• Like 1