Workshops

CILONE/SK

I am more of a "process" guy and not a "outcome" guy. I would rather see someones workshop and how they made something, then I would like to see the final outcome. Because of this, I am starting a workshop thread. This could be a corner of a room that you store your photo equipment or a shop like I am going to show. Wherever it is that you do your "work", show us.

Below is my shop.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Super jealous!! That is a set up to be proud of.

I had to move and lost my workspace last Sept. Hoping to get a new one going again in a few months. Have been able to get some art space in a bedroom which I just started to use last week. If all goes well I will go from a 2 car garage with everything to a bedroom for cleaner art stuff and a 1 car garage for all the messy stuff. Currently I do have access to two wood shops, a good friend & my step brother both have solid shops (licensed contractors) but it sucks to haul to and from.

This is a photo of the art side of my space, before I started to add woodwork into the mix.

Don't photos of that before I had to move out.

Studio.jpg

• Like 1

Nice hand drills and planes (?), haven't seen any hand tools like that since my Grandfather passed away.

I actually only use 1-2 of the drills but got most of them cheap $1-5 at garage sales.

I do use the planes alot and I also use alot of older different tools like that. Sometimes it is just easier to use them then other modern tools.

I also restore older tools and sell them. I should have posted all my hand saws waiting to be sold.

Bojangles, what is it that you plan on doing in there? I thought you just wrote graff and books.

Well, I'm a painter. (Not your grandma's house, but large-scale gallery pieces.) These days, most of my paintings (See: abstracts thread) are 30x40 and larger, so I need space for those. Especially considering I have almost a hundred out in the wild at any given moment.

Also, I build and restore vintage BMX bikes and road bikes as well.

Also-also, this space is right in the middle of the cool, hip neighborhood of my city, so when I get too wasted to drive home, I can go recover here on a couch for a few hours.

Who knows? Maybe I'll sit in here and write another book as well!

I bought my grandfather an apartment in one of those swanky old folks joint with all the medical care, swimming pools and whatever and he gave me his old house. He was a boiler maker by trade, had the world's best work bench full of all the tools that he made himself. Even as a kid i loved it enough to be a little prick and say "Pop, I know this is rude bet when you die can I have your work bench?". Apparently he was super chuffed at that. Never took a photo of it and I kick myself for that. Was so fucking awesome, even had his old leather motorbike coat hanging off the door that always got stuck on the creaky floor boards and 50 years worth of cobwebs. One of the best memories of my life is being a kid watching him work on that bench.

^ what happened to all of his stuff when he died? Did he die?

My parents have it. My father pretends that he can use tools and destroys things with them from time to time. We also have my great uncles stuff as they had no kids. He was a rail worker as well and made his own tools. Both these families rarely threw stuff away as they had lived through the great depression so there is a treasure trove of old tobacco tins, tools, money boxes, display cases, picture frames, furniture (that my mother has had restored and I am sitting at one of those tables now that I 'loaned' from their garage). It's amazing what people are willing to pay for old tools. I know one day they will have to be sold and better that they will go to some one who prizes them than just sitting in boxes in my garage because of sentimental reasons.

I want Alts' marker sets.

Depending on the kind of tools there are, I can help you or point you to places to learn about those tools if you want. I know alot about those old woodworking tools.

Maybe if you decide you want them and are able to show an interest in them that goes beyond novelty, your dad might let you have them.

BTW, people getting rid of tools sitting in their garage because someone died, is where me and other woodworkers get old tools, because they do not make them any more. At least cheaply.

Speaking of price, alot of times these old tools are not worth what people think they are actually worth. For example, I did not pay over $20 for any of these tools, except for the two power drills. Almost all of them were $1-5, except for one of the bigger planes ($20) and the blue plane, because I bought that new.

IMG_5292.jpg

These are my saws. I clean them up and resell them. Alot of work involved and all I expect to get for them is $20 for most of the saws cleaned up and up to $80 depending on what # type they are. Not really that much for the time involved. Unless you run into a very rare tool, you have the knowledge to spot those tools, and you know where to sell high priced old tools, it usually is better just to keep them.

IMG_5297.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

jebus effin christ on a cracker

after seeing that ^^^ that CILONE posted

rest assured i won't be posting up the disaster area/paint stash/tool storage/old oil repository that is my basement

much less the yarn mess/fabric scrap pile/sewing machine/cutting area that is my sewing workshop

:(

jebus effin christ on a cracker

after seeing that ^^^ that CILONE posted

rest assured i won't be posting up the disaster area/paint stash/tool storage/old oil repository that is my basement

much less the yarn mess/fabric scrap pile/sewing machine/cutting area that is my sewing workshop

:(

Post your yarn mess. I think that 99.9% of people who make things or are creative, do not have model shops that are shown in magazines. the everyday shops and creative spaces that most people have, should be shown, to give people hope and incentive to create what they want with limited resources.

I am drinking and hope this makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...