CES 2012

Newer Bigger Better

I know a lot of you aren't huge fucking dorks like i am, but some of you are. And i ahve some friends there right now, getting drunk, having sex with hookers. And getting to look at cool new shit, while im stuck at work. So im making this thread.

So far the best thing i've seen? VIZIO is getting into the pc business. And they just dropped some AWESOME looking unibody ultrabooks. And considering what they charge for tvs, i HAVE to assume that they are going to be dumb ass cheap.

DSC_1481_gallery_post.jpg

2012-01-09viziocomp-17_gallery_post.jpg

2012-01-09viziocomp-19_gallery_post.jpg

link

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is the best thing about CES this year...

CES Nerds Can Get Married In an Apple Store-Lookalike Vegas Wedding Chapel

CES Nerds Can Get Married In an Apple Store-Lookalike Vegas Wedding Chapel

Though they don’t need to stress about finding a member of the opposite sex to force into marrying them, as pop-up wedding chapel iDo also performs commitment ceremonies; fake weddings and even pet weddings. Taking design cues from Apple’s retail stores, iDo at The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas also gives newlyweds rings made out of erasers, because nothing says love like rubbing out the words on your marriage certificate after you come to your senses the following day.

Offering several different types of ceremonies, for $80 (£50) you can receive a ceremony with two cans of champagne (classy!) from Sofia Coppola’s vineyard (hmm); a photo booth picture, and two eraser rings. For a little bit more ($125 — around £80), you get a 4-pack of champagne cans; a silk flower bouquet; party favours; two cake pops, and one logo t-shirt. But the grand kahuna of wedding packages also includes a bottle of champagne; six cake pops, and VIP entry to the hotel’s nightclub for $195 (£125.)

Given the Apple-esque aesthetics of the wedding-chapel-cum-gift-store, springing the extra $10 (£6.50) for the opportunity to play your own wedding tunes from your iPod is probably just the ticket to cement your love. CES nerds, can I recommend Computer Love by Kraftwerk; Television Man by the Talking Heads, or perhaps Dinosaur Adventure 3D by Underworld?

But if your marriage doesn’t work out, CES nerds, don’t stress too much — if you spring the extra few bucks for AppleCare, you can get your marriage sorted out just as soon as you can get an appointment at the genius bar…

I like that every single blog is saying how different it looks from a macbook. And that they are glad that vizio isn't blatantly copying it like LG did.

I know you're an Apple fan Mercer, but they didn't invent the unibody. They didn't invent making laptops out of aluminum. And there is no design cues from macbook that i see. The lines are different, keyboard isn't chicklet style. I guess they could paint the aluminum a different color? I think it looks great. And also they have 1080 screens.

And being as it's by Vizio, and the vizio head dude was saying that they were releasing them at "unbelievable prices", im going to guess pretty fucking competitive.

Vizio says it's trying to disrupt the computer market, and I think it just did. These are simply gorgeous machines, and are fast and powerful to boot.

We saw three lines today, the Thin + Light laptops, its Notebooks, and some really amazing all-in-one desktops. The entire line features great industrial design by Scott McManigal, and Vizio says it plans to build each machine with top of the line (and as-of-yet unannounced) components. I'm also hot on what it's doing with Windows 7. The machines come with clean builds—meaning they aren't bogged down with a bunch of crap programs and garbage you won't need. It's been working with Microsoft to make that happen, and says that when Windows 8 comes along it will go even deeper.

The Thin + Lights come in two configurations, 14-inch and 15.6-inch. Both have milled unibody aluminum design, and a really unique-looking keyboard that gives more real-estate to the buttons than you get in a typical chiclet keyboard configuration. The 14-inch has a 1600 x 900 display, while the 15.6-inch is 1920 x 1080. Vizio makes some pretty great displays and you can see that lineage. They're very pretty, and loaded up with USB 3 ports on either side.

Like its new tablet, the specs aren't final, so Vizio won't say just how thin, or how light they are. But the 14-inch felt comprable to my Macbook Air, and looked to be similar in terms of thickness. (See comparison shot.) Bottom line, this thing will be a breeze to shove in a bag and tote around all day.

There's a lot left to ponder on specs. Chipset? Vizio isn't saying. Graphics? Not saying (other than that it will be integrated). Ship date? Price? Not saying. What it will say is that the components will be the highest quality available in the world, and that it should be able to announce all this in a few weeks (hint, hint).

I was also pretty impressed by the All In Ones. These are basically desktop entertainment centers that double as powerful computers. They come in 24-inch and 27-inch configurations, and have a 1920 x 1080 resolution. The computer itself is in the base of the machine, and is so small you might not even notice it. (See the gallery photos to see how it compared to my pen.)

Both will come with options for discreet NVidia graphics (no specifics yet) and terabyte SSD. They have 2.1 sound, with a subwoofer that doubles as a power supply. Each also has two HDMI inputs, so you can hook up an XBox or DVR and use it as a TV with the computer powered down. It also ships with a very nice trackpad, keyboard and remote control. There are three USB 3 ports. It's a very sleek little setup.

Meanwhile the 15.6 Notebooks are also pretty great, if not quite as mind-blowingly beautiful. The 15.6-inch notebooks will have that same great 1920 x 1080 display, and discrete NVidia graphics. It's also going to sport a high end chipset, that's still unannounced. You can also spring for an external optical drive.

All in all, it's quite a lineup.

from gizmodo

Yeah its really just a time issue more than anything. Something as simple as adding some ram (which takes all of 5 minutes on non-unibody) ends up taking an hour because you gotta take every goddamn screw out of the thing. They say it adds to durability but Tell that to the 100's of MacBook top cases I've replaced. A screen and/or hard drive ain't gonna handle a decent fall very well no matter what kind of body its in. They do look nice though.

But I digress......

Where's the goddamn hover-boards!

I WAS PROMISED HOVER-BOARDS!