Military Service help.

Silba

I know a few of you atleast have been in the military, or atleast know someone.

As you may know, I was hit by a car back in May, now I have a metal rod in my femur. I would also like to join the service, but I'm not sure if I am eligible.........Anyone know if the rod might DQ me from enlisting...?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should talk to the recruiter about this, not 12oz, and they'll give you an accurate answer.

I think at the minimum the rod will limit you from acquiring certain job positions within the service, but not the military as a whole.

Also, military people are cops, as are park rangers, meter maids, and movie ushers.

A recruiter is not going to know for sure, since their job is to just get the applicants to the MEPS. All a recruiter can do is tell you what their experience is.

Right now is a horrible time to join for all branches. The current downsizing trend means that any potential disqualifying condition, that would normally be waived, is not waived. To join currently, you need to do great on the ASVAB, have almost nothing wrong medically, and have no criminal history (all involvement, not just convictions).

A fact is that the military does not need people and must lower their numbers by quite a lot.

I know alot about the process of joining the military, for all branches, if anyone wants to ask about it.

BTW, Let me say that I am not a recruiter, I work higher up in the process then that.

Not if you misspell "score".:lol:

For real, the ASVAB is not about how smart you are. It measures your interest in certain areas. The scores that are pulled from it just show an aptitude towards those subjects. So, it does not matter about all the previous knowledge you have.

90%+ of the people who take it do not join the military or even try to. The ASVAB is marketed as a Career Exploration Program. It guides high school kids to subjects that suit their interests and shows them what careers are out there for those interests and also shows them what skills they need to focus on to be a success in those careers.

In my opinion, the DOE should run the ASVAB, not the DOD.

A recruiter is not going to know for sure, since their job is to just get the applicants to the MEPS. All a recruiter can do is tell you what their experience is.

Right, I was saying that he should go to the recruiter, because the recruiter would be the liaison between himself and MEPS - and they would relay that information back to him. He couldn't go directly to MEPS, especially since there's only a few MEPS stations in each state, and their job isn't really to answer questions from people walking in off the street.

It may save him from having to go through the process of signing up, going through MEPS, only to be rejected - if the metal rod is an issue.

There are only a few kinds of people that try to join or are interested in joining the military. The largest group of people who try to join are the people that do not have any "worthwhile" things in their future.

The military is still looked at as the avenue of last chance, regardless that it is not true. It is extremely hard to get in the military, at least for the past few years. The stats are somewhere around 7-8 people out of every ten that approach a recruiter, do not get to go to the MEPS.

If Silba wants to join, I wish him good luck and hope he gets what he wants. But to imply that the military is not a "worthwhile" option in life for some people, just shows an obvious bias of some sort and totally disregards the option (sometimes the only option) of bettering that persons life.

Morton, I am glad that you are doing something "worthwhile" in your life, but not everyone gets a chance to do something. i travel alot and see alot of communities, where there are no options at all.

So, you are operating on the assumption that simply because Silba wants to join the military that he has no other path in this world toward gainful employment and self fulfillment?

It really sounds to me like you are saying that the military is for poor folk and that they can not do any better.

I do not agree.

How about I phrase it this way,

Fuck joining the US military.

If you buy into all that hype about it making you a man and them taking care of you after then you are a big sucker.

We got all kinds of Vets coming back right now and they will soak up all the "give a vet a job get a tax break" jobs, by the time you get out you will be assed out of that I rekon.

• Like 1

You obviously are biased against the military and I doubt it is based on any realistic info. It seems like you are the one basing your opinions on the commercials.

I think if Silba wants to join, cool,

if not, cool

Whatever he or anyone else chooses, good for them, but the military definitely can be alot better then some of the other options in peoples life's.

I frequently come across people like you, who are against joining and have no clear rational for it. Usually these same people are working some minimum wage job and do not have shit to show for it. Maybe you are different, maybe you are not.

Ultimately, I think that if I had an option to join the military vs flipping burgers (or some other job that has no future in it), I would join the military. This is the dilemma that many people face.

If a kid comes up to me and asks about joining, the very first question I ask them is "do you have any other options, like going to college or something else, going on for you?". If a kid has a chance of going to college, he should go. Getting drunk and fucking girls in college is a way better option then sitting in some middle east country with a shitload of gear on your back.

I am against joining the military first and foremost because I object to the US military aggression around the world.

I am against joining the military on a more practical level because I think the benefits are mainly hype. I had friends that joined because they thought it would be some sort of path forward for them and it did not end up working out that way.

I have not seen any commercials discouraging military enrollment lately.

As far as my personal station in life, I work in a career that is satisfying to me. I have had a few helpers from the military over the years and found them to be sort of a mixed bag, one dude was a army ranger and was a very impressive worker, a couple of marines I have worked with I found to be sort of fuck ups.

One guy I work with at the moment has his job because of wounded warrior or whatever. He is a nice enough guy and all but if he wants to continue in this line of work he will need to step up his game once this job runs out.

I encourage you to do something worthwhile with your life instead of joining the military.

This.

Fuck the military.

All it is, is a job corp.

My boy joined the Marines, he just told me the other day its the worst thing hes ever done.

Dont do it Silba, start a business, or work on a talent or anything.

Dont be uncle Sam's fuckboy.

Youll come back PTSD and wind up shooting cops, which actually is pretty sweet

TRY join the air force man. you gotta test high to get in, if you think you can i say go for it.

a bunch of people will give you shit for it, but it will be worth it.

from what i hear, those guys make the most $ for doing the least shit.

not to mention, maids cleaning your barracks, bus boys in your mess hall, even tennis courts and shit on your bases.

This.

Fuck the military.

All it is, is a job corp.

My boy joined the Marines, he just told me the other day its the worst thing hes ever done.

Dont do it Silba, start a business, or work on a talent or anything.

Dont be uncle Sam's fuckboy.

Youll come back PTSD and wind up shooting cops, which actually is pretty sweet

You do not know anything about the military, do you?

That would be pretty dope.

Also, I could go to college, but I screwed around my first 2 years in H.S, and dug a decent sized hole.

I could get in to any college in Illinois based on ome test scores, but my main thing has always been to join the service. I know the service dosent always end well with a lot of people going through PTSD, but Im an optimistic kind of guy and I dont think about the negatives.

Also, my phone spell checked score to sure.

not sure why...

I am against joining the military first and foremost because I object to the US military aggression around the world.

I am against joining the military on a more practical level because I think the benefits are mainly hype. I had friends that joined because they thought it would be some sort of path forward for them and it did not end up working out that way.

I have not seen any commercials discouraging military enrollment lately.

As far as my personal station in life, I work in a career that is satisfying to me. I have had a few helpers from the military over the years and found them to be sort of a mixed bag, one dude was a army ranger and was a very impressive worker, a couple of marines I have worked with I found to be sort of fuck ups.

One guy I work with at the moment has his job because of wounded warrior or whatever. He is a nice enough guy and all but if he wants to continue in this line of work he will need to step up his game once this job runs out.

Fair enough, your opinion is your own.

But, as you have suggested, the military is a mixed bag. I would just add, that this is not because of the military, but because of each persons life decisions and ability. Some people will fuck up in everything they do. Some people will succeed in everything they do. Each person should make the most out of their options in life, as long as they have an option.

The military is an option. It might not be the best option for some, then again, it quite possibly might be someones only option.

I know the service dosent always end well with a lot of people going through PTSD, but not sure why...

This is actually a small percentage of people that serve. Not downplaying it at all, but a vast majority of people who leave the military, regardless of the amount of time they served, never have any issues.

This is actually a small percentage of people that serve. Not downplaying it at all, but a vast majority of people who leave the military, regardless of the amount of time they served, never have any issues.

This.

im sure I can do some tours and make it out fine. If not then ill make the best of it, but you cant worry about the what ifs.

You do not know anything about the military, do you?

Well im not a blood sucking recruiter like you, so im sure you know more you piece of shit.

Im just trying to save the man from wasting his life being a dough boy for imperialism.

Say what you want and downplay PTSD but I have quite a few friends and non-friends who have joined every branch of the military and everyone of them regretted it to some degree, some minor some thinking its the worst thing they've done.

I use to want to join since my pops and grandpops where Rangers, and my brothers both served time themselves.

Everyone in my family has served ina war other than me, and I dont plan on changing that trend.

But I guess I wouldn't know what im talking about.

as to ptsd: its a gamble. you get blown up enough times and your outlook on life changes.

i didn't love most of my time on active duty, but the benefits i now have from it? absolutely worth it. i made a sacrifice, and i sympathize with morton's anti-world-police sentiments. but i got $65k of college debt paid for, and a lot of opportunities now.

did i get fucked over in some ways? you bet.

i agree w/ boatsandhoes tho, go AF if you can.

Instead of coming home in boxes the US troops have been coming home in pieces due to advances in medical technology.

If this sounds like something you want to do to further the interests of the pigs that run this country then that is your choice.

If you think it will provide you the best path to become a man, get training, go to college etc, then you are a pussy or a sucker.

Join the national guard and the same thing will happen, now that the are are winding down... for now.

The only people I know who join the military these days are losers, drop outs, and people who have nothing else going for them.

Yes, some of my friends included.

Theres other choices Silba, why is it you want to join if I may ask?

Thanks alot, AF would be cool, but Im not sure what exactly they do....

besides fly F16s which Im sure is the hardest thing to do, what other things do they do?

Should def look up an AF recruiter

And the reason I want to join? Boyhood dream. Ive always knew I wanted to join the service when I reached age, and it's something Ive always looked up to do.

Most people want to be doctors or some other civilian job, Ive always saw myself in the service.

im not a lowlife and Im sure there are other options in life that I can do much easier, such as go to NIU or some other Illinois school, but I still want to enlist. I just wouldnt want to go through life knowing what I could have done in the service.