worked in an AIRCRAFT BONEYARD - quick photothread

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

thats exactly why i was out there ha. ill be spending a bunch of time in china lake over the next few decades. a couple weeks here and there. i hear theres not a whole lot to the town.

show up w my rods and tackle- "hey, weres the lake!?" :haha:

The waterline is the line vertical frame stations are referenced off of starting at 0 and going up. All + frame station numbers are above the waterline, all - frame stations are below. Waterline is determined by the manufacturer, and usually runs parallel w/ the floorboards. But not always. The centerline also determines the left and right frame stations. Odd # are the left side and even # the right side. Fore and aft frame stations start at the tip of the nose. There are also wing stations, that start at the wing root, and are specific to the wing as they are a removable subassembly. All major subassemblies have their own stations. Structures guys like myself use them to discribe the location of damage and repairs of said damage.

Well sure, the stationing starts at the nose and gets bigger going toward the tail right?

If I understand correctly the "water line" is called such because of the history of using a hose to transfer what I would typically call elevation but in this case can really only be called level.

I have heard conflicting opinions as to the derivation of the word, do you agree with me on the history?

I do not work with planes so the terminology and ways that mechanical shit is put together is a little out of my normal language.