***2012 MLB AMERICAS PAST TIME THREAD***

IHATEU

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea it seems these past couple years they looked for quick fixes instead of long term solutions.

this is a testament to RAJ, he went all in with the wallet and giving away the farm system to win a WS, it hasn't worked... if it had, people would love him for it and say "it was worth it" but it hasn't, so he's on the other receiving end. i think his over-belief in pitching has blinded him... then again, im not a GM, and there is allot on his plate...

phillies, won't win their division this year, utley is done as well as howard, we have seen the last of utley, unfortunately we will be stuck with howard as a perennially injured chump who can put up numbers against slobs but can perform against the best. this will also be charlies last season with the team.

Moving back to Minneapolis in less than a month. So fucking psyched. Just bought tickets for two games for the week that I get back, vs Angels and Rangers. Pavano vs whoever gets opening day nod for the Angels, and Baker vs unknown for the Rangers. Hopefully Yu Darvish, because I want to see that dude in action /nh. It will be my first time getting to see Target Field. Fuck yes.

I didn't go to any games last year, but I plan on changing that this season now that I'm able to have some spare money around.

I'm pretty excited, some of the guys are doing pretty well in spring and look like they're ready to go.

thats debatable bed famed and your opinion is always welcomed...

from what i see (watching the game) fuck sportcenter and scouting reports... i would have said valdez was a world apart from martinez as an all around baseball player... RAJ thought they are equal and went with the cheaper option... fuck i mean valdez provided the most memorable game of all last season appearing in late inning relief and striking out the heart of the lineup... but anyhow, utley is done for good, or at least till he gets surgery, so done for this season... howard has constant set backs, and did you see any of his footage in spring training? dude got FAT AS FUCK, i mean injured or not have some fuckin work ethic mr cant learn how to hit a breaking ball 8 seasons in... and now martinez goes down with a fractured ankle... pauli is already out too... this is a BIG FUCKIN JOKE... i mean ill always love certain players on this team for what they did in the past, and i respect all of the above mentioned, this is RAJ and charLIE who have fucked up, trading away picks, not replenishing with youth, depleting the farm system, and trying to sign big names like your fuckin george stienbrenner, charLIES stubbornness to play better players in certain spots out of "loyalty" ect ect ect... im over it, ill still watch every game but im looking for a few things this season, i want sherm stick to win his first cy young, id like dom brown and freddy galvis to emerge, worley to continue improving, as well as mayberry, thats our future, other then that i don't care. im boycotting stadium this year, ive averaged a minimum of 15 games a season since i could walk and im fucking disgusted with what is going on... i dont want to sit next to fags from jersey and yardley having their first cheeesteak talking about a deal they closed over miller lite. fuck outta here

From the Chicago Tribune:

Former White Sox pitcher Bobby Jenks was arrested early Friday for DUI and for leaving the scene of an accident in Fort Myers, Fla.

He is scheduled for a court appearance on April 9, according to the police report.

"We're aware of it and are still gathering information," Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington told USA Today.

Jenks is recovering from back surgery and is on the disabled list.

Jenks' life has fallen to pieces.

Morneau hits 2 no-doubter HRs in 2 at bats. Twins fans everywhere let out a huge sigh of relief that he seems to finally be getting his timing down. According to radio announcers (since I haven't actually been able to watch many recent ST games), he's been scalding a lot of line drive outs and fouls too. Mauer is hitting well. Span is hitting well. Liriano is pitching well.

Granted, it is Spring Training and you can't put too much stock into it, it's still really good to see some of these guys playing well after all sorts of injury bullshit in 2011. Definitely have some question marks still, but I'm waiting for the regular season before I write anyone off.

I'm liking how this team will probably shape up.

* - denotes platoon/secondary role

C Doumit, Mauer

1B Morneau*, Mauer*, Parmelee

2B Casilla

SS Carroll

3B Valencia

DH Morneau, Doumit*

LF Willingham

CF Span

RF Plouffe, Revere, Doumit*, Parmelee*

SP1 Pavano

SP2 Liriano

SP3 Baker (DL?)

SP4 Blackburn

SP5 Marquis

RP Perkins

Capps

Maloney

Deunsing

Swarzak

Waldrop

Manship

Others to consider (two to make team to complete 25-man roster, three if Baker starts on DL)

Hughes - all IF positions (likely)

Burroughs - 3B, middle IF (getting a long look, great defense, little offensive power)

Butera - C (god, no)

Dozier - middle IF (AA, org. wants him in starting role, likely to start in AAA)

Benson - OF (needs more seasoning at plate, plus speed, probably in AAA)

Burnett - RP (looks horrible this spring, possible option as an extra arm if Baker is on DL)

We have more versatile players than we know what to do with.

Hughes will for sure get a spot. He's been destroying this spring and if he doesnt make the team, someone else is definitely gonna grab him off waivers. Benson won't get a spot unless he is our starting RF, which I think is going to go to Parmelee. Parmelee will probably end up splitting time between RF, 1B and DH, but I think he's gonna be the starter in RF to keep his bat in the lineup and filling in at 1B when needed. If we do end up carrying 3 catchers, which I hope we don't, I'd like it to be Towles. Dozier will go to triple A unless he takes the starting SS role and Carroll or Casilla change to a utility role. I think either Carroll or Casilla will suck it up and we'll see them moved to the utility role and Dozier called up as our starting SS within a few months though.

If we don't carry three catchers, I'd prefer Hollimon over Burroughs. Hollimon can play 3B, SS and 2B. And Hughes can always play 3B in a pinch. Considering Valencia has been a workhorse in terms of games played, I see no reason to carry a bench player who can really only play 3B or pinch hit.

Personally, I'd like to see both Parmelee and Benson in the lineup, but there is no way to do that unless Benson is in RF, Parmelee at 1B and Morneau as DH. That would then kinda throw off Mauer and Doumit DHing when they're not catching. I think it would definitely be the best option for the lineup though. Benson is more than ready, in my opinion, and the much better option than Revere or Plouffe. Problem is that we want Benson playing every day, so I think he starts at triple A.

I don't think we're gonna win the division, but I do think we have the capability to put together a decent season. A lot boils down to Baker and Liriano though. Pavano is going to eat some innings and give up a ton of runs, Marquis is going to be hot garbage, and Blackburn will start out hot and then fizzle like he always does. If we want to be competitive, Liriano and Baker need to stay healthy and consistent, which is probably asking too much. I'd also like to see them swap Hendriks for Marquis, but thats not gonna happen out the gate.

Any which way, I'm excited for baseball and the fact that I'll be getting back to Minnesota right as the season starts.

Good to hear you're coming back. Were you in CO?

The weather is unseasonably nice right now.

I only threw Burroughs in the mix because the organization is very high on him (no pun). Parmelee will be a 1B guy, since it looks like the Twins are seriously considering making Justin the DH. I don't necessarily agree with it, but whatever keeps his head from knocking around I guess. The guy is an elite defender.

I was in CO for a bit, and i've been out in MA for just under 2 years.

I think in the long term Parmelee is our 1B, but they've been giving him outfield time in the last few games and I think they're gonna slot him into RF and he'll probably see a fair bit of 1B time as well. Probably a bit of a mix and match with various people seeing time in RF, 1B and DH (Morneau, Mauer, Hughes, Parmelee, Doumit can all play first. Parmelee, Doumit, Plouffe can play right. Any of them can DH). We got a lot of outfielders coming up in the system, so I definitely don't see Parmelee being a RF for any significant length of time. He has had a lot of games in the minors in RF, and defensively I don't see him being a liability or concern, to be quite honest. Sure, he won't be spectacular in the field, but thats not really what I care about in RF.

As I said, if Morneau is full time DH, I see no reason why we wouldn't be playing Parmelee at 1B and Benson in RF. But who knows what our FO is thinking. Revere has no business in RF, and Benson will be better across the board than Plouffe, in my opinion. Willingham LF, Span CF, Benson RF, Plouffe as 4th OF for someone who can actually hit off the bench. If Span needs a day off, shift Benson to CF and throw Plouffe in right. If Span goes down with injuries, call up Revere. As it stands, Revere is really only good for a pinch runner if he's the 4th OF spot, since he's not a threat at all as a pinch hitter.

And yeah, they seem really high on Burroughs, which I don't really get. Sure, he's got a great come back story, but who fucking cares when we have Valencia at 3rd and Hughes is a fine backup if Valencia needs a day off. If Valencia was actually injured, it's not like we couldn't just make a roster move and have Burroughs or Hollimon or Chang up by the next day.

Edit: I should probably specify that i'd like to see the scenario with Morneau as DH, Benson in RF and Parmelee at first instead of some super shuffle, different lineup/fielding positions every day type of shit that Gardy loves to pull. Don't get me wrong, Morneau is a solid first baseman, but the lineup looks better to me with him at DH. I also think I got my numbers wrong on Parmelee's time in the OF and I'm pretty sure it's way more.

Double edit: In the minors, Parmelee has 323 games at 1B, 282 in RF and 4 in LF.

Going to see my first MLB game this season. Going to check out the Jays when they play in Seattle in late July. One of my buddies is from Windsor and he's a huge Jays fan, he's gotten me into the sport so I'm looking forward to getting drunk in the sunshine and yelling at the players.

^ SO ODD, I WAS RAISED ON BASEBALL, PLAYING T-BALL FROM THE SECOND I COULD LIFT A BAT... BEING AMERICAN I THINK MOST PEOPLE ARE ON THE SAME BOAT... I TAKE IT YOUR CANADIAN, PROBABLY A SIMILAR UPBRINGING FOR YOU VIA HOCKEY... I HOPE YOU LIKE THE GAME LIVE, BUT LEARN THE RULES AND LEARN THE HISTORY BEFORE YOU GO BARKING IN THE STANDS.

I was raised on soccer and ice hockey ^^

Yup, Canadian. I'm not completely ignorant to baseball though, we watched the Jays win back to back pennants in the mid nineties. I know the rules, I don't know the ins and outs of the pro game like I do for soccer and hockey but I cannot be held responsible for what comes outta my mouth after a few barley sandwhiches :D