Pearls Before Breakfast

freakeenyc

Good article that can be summed up for the mouth breathers in Channel Zero in four words- wrong place, wrong time.

one element of this: who listens to classical music? music nerds, nerds, musicians, and the like.

most people consider classical music "elevator music" and have no basic comprehension of any element of music. pop, shitty hip hop, and radio rock from the 90s seems to be enough for most of America.

plus its a fucking violin. on its own i don't like it, especially at 7 in the morning when i'm pissed to be awake and workbound--that is just gonna grate on people's uneducated ears even more.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

metromap.gif

anybody thats been in there knows the lighting coming up vs going in has a weird effect. plus running around down there to catch the metro is insane.

had another point but theres some chick sitting near me that looks like a mulatto molly ringwald in 16 candles red hair and errything..bueno

The implication that I'm not smart enough to understand it is incorrect, it's simply dumb.

Channel Zero is not exactly a hotbed of critical/qualitative thinking, and occasionally I make light of that. If you get the message then what I said doesn't apply to you. Carry on.

Mercer, I'll concede that the metric was flawed but the story raises a couple good points. Modern life is very compartmentalized, and when we are presented with something out of place like a concert violinist playing in a subway during rush hour or street art we tend to pass it by or be somewhat annoyed that someone had the nerve to put culture in our faces without our consent.

For fun, let's turn the proposition on its head....what if there were to be a performance consisting of the sounds and sights of a subway station in an opera house? You can have the sounds of trains, loudspeakers, newsstands, lousy diffused ambient lighting, soot, and have the audience stand in the aisles or sit on subway seats/station benches....do you think people would get antsy and feel the need to get up and go somewhere or would they be able to sit and pay attention through the performance? Would they get the joke?

I re-read the article and caught this...no wonder it won a Pulitzer-

MARK LEITHAUSER HAS HELD IN HIS HANDS MORE GREAT WORKS OF ART THAN ANY KING OR POPE OR MEDICI EVER DID. A senior curator at the National Gallery, he oversees the framing of the paintings. Leithauser thinks he has some idea of what happened at that Metro station.

"Let's say I took one of our more abstract masterpieces, say an Ellsworth Kelly, and removed it from its frame, marched it down the 52 steps that people walk up to get to the National Gallery, past the giant columns, and brought it into a restaurant. It's a $5 million painting. And it's one of those restaurants where there are pieces of original art for sale, by some industrious kids from the Corcoran School, and I hang that Kelly on the wall with a price tag of $150. No one is going to notice it. An art curator might look up and say: 'Hey, that looks a little like an Ellsworth Kelly. Please pass the salt.'"

Leithauser's point is that we shouldn't be too ready to label the Metro passersby unsophisticated boobs. Context matters.

Kant said the same thing. He took beauty seriously: In his Critique of Aesthetic Judgment, Kant argued that one's ability to appreciate beauty is related to one's ability to make moral judgments. But there was a caveat. Paul Guyer of the University of Pennsylvania, one of America's most prominent Kantian scholars, says the 18th-century German philosopher felt that to properly appreciate beauty, the viewing conditions must be optimal.

"Optimal," Guyer said, "doesn't mean heading to work, focusing on your report to the boss, maybe your shoes don't fit right."

So, if Kant had been at the Metro watching as Joshua Bell play to a thousand unimpressed passersby?

"He would have inferred about them," Guyer said, "absolutely nothing."

And that's that.

Interesting... but I think the experiment would have been better served in a park setting on a weekend where people are just hanging out relaxing. Not in the subway when people are heading to work.

If I'm on my way to work, even if I did recognize & appreciate the "beauty" and knew who he was, I'm not going to sit there for the next 30 minutes to an hour to listen.

But like others said, it does bring up interesting points - are people inclined to appreciate things more because of the setting & context and a sense of belonging & "mob mentality?"

only way i wud give this mafucka tha time wuz if he wuz playin a sample 4 a rza beat

I bet way more people would have stopped if the RZA was performing in the same spot at the same time. I'd like to think that the general public has little to no interest in classical music, I know I sure as shit do not. If I would have saw that guy playing when and where he was, my first reaction would have been either "fucking weirdo" or "look at this attention starved asshole."

I guess from now on I should stop and listen to every street performer with a classical instrument and at the end make sure that he's playing on a multi-million dollar instrument, because the cost surely affects the quality of the piece, right?

Unless they're terrible and they annoy me, I usually give a buck to anyone playing music on the street/ subway. At least they're doing something, y'know?

One time, I was having a pretty shitty day and was really stressed out about a bunch of petty bullshit. I was waiting for a train, and some dude in the station was playing guitar and singing, and I recognized a few of the songs from records my dad used to play when I was growing up. I wound up skipping two trains and listening to this dude for almost half an hour. It completely turned my day around.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the article, but I think it's cool when talented musicians just play somewhere like that. And I know you guys like coolstorybros.

• Like 1

I bet way more people would have stopped if the RZA was performing in the same spot at the same time. I'd like to think that the general public has little to no interest in classical music, I know I sure as shit do not. If I would have saw that guy playing when and where he was, my first reaction would have been either "fucking weirdo" or "look at this attention starved asshole."

I'm not a classical aficionado or anything, but all big dawg real nikka jokes aside I enjoy it...it's an important foundation to Western music, if anything I think it deserves a head nod for that. Plus I think it's cool to catch a piece on the radio that's been sampled in a song I like...that goes for any genre really, not just classical.

Even in a smaller city like the one I live in, I don't think people really consider it weird or attention seeking to do this, it's just creative panhandling. Much rather deal with this than some asshole shaking a cup in my face when I walk into CVS talking like "bring me your change when you come out."

for two years I walked past some aboriginal buskers with a didjeridu and techno music setup near where I caught my ferry home.

every second day my timing would be exact. as I be walking past they'd be yelling

"this next song is called walkabout warrior" then they'd start off

oontz oontz oontz

oooooooorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhr click click oontz oontz onntz cllcik click oooooooooo etc.

sydney heads know the ones.

killed me on buskers.