Pearls Before Breakfast

freakeenyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=myq8upzJDJc

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

"In Washington DC , at a Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007, a man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, approximately 2000 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

After about four minutes, a middle-aged man noticed that there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried on to meet his schedule.

About four minutes later, the violinist received his first dollar. A woman threw money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

At six minutes, a young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

At ten minutes, a three-year old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head the whole time. This action was repeated by several other children, but every parent - without exception - forced their children to move on quickly.

At forty-five minutes: The musician played continuously. Only six people stopped and listened for a short while. About twenty gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

After one hour:

He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed and no one applauded. There was no recognition at all.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold-out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100 each to sit and listen to him play the same music.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the D.C. Metro Station, was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people’s priorities.

This experiment raised several questions:

In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty?

If so, do we stop to appreciate it?

Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made…

How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?"

I thought it was interesting. no tits shall be posted nor shall there be a tldr. The actual article (linked above) won a Pulitzer.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hm. when i take the train if i hear something interesting i always stop to listen, and it's good enough i'll tip the person. in paris here there are always people playing the accordion people don't really appreciate it but sometimes i'll follow the guy throughout the whole train and i can they in their face they appreciate it that i enjoy what they play.

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made…

Interesting on the surface, silly when properly considered.

Best musician? Sorry, for me that would be AC/DC and Pink Floyd

Some of the finest music? That would be Powerage, Dark Side of the Moon and maybe Por Una Cabeza.

Beautiful instrument ever made? [insert your fav guitar, drum kit, set of tubular bells, etc.]

Good chance that the majority of people that passed that day couldn't give a shit about the music and instrument and wouldn't pay a cent for a seat at his gig. However, put Coldplay for the womenz and a pole dancer for the men and I guarantee that at least 50% of the people would stop to join in the fun.

Horse for courses.

Christo-F, ruining days since .....

He was doing it wrong, you have to stand on the platform, that's when people listen .. at least in Chicago. If you are in the tunnel connecting stations or in the entrance, nobody has time to stop and miss a train.

I always pay a bum willing to work for it, but some nurga yelling "hey big man, hook me up with a dollar" can go suck a dick for one.

He was doing it wrong, you have to stand on the platform, that's when people listen .. at least in Chicago. If you are in the tunnel connecting stations or in the entrance, nobody has time to stop and miss a train.

This.

If this was conducted in a public area/park it would be a whole different story.

I'm not going to stop and watch some dude play violin no matter how good he is at 7 in the morning on the way to work.

But I see what they're trying to do here

I just just think this experiment is rather shit.

Yeah man everyone here is retarded except me

You're okay.

It's funny (and kind of sad) that Channel Zero is proving the message behind the story right by not taking the time to read it and think about it.

Sorry everyone, I'm sick and kind of cranky because some of the people around me right now are dumb and inconsiderate. Which, in a way, ties into this story (again).

Those people passed by because they're heading to their miserable job. Most bosses won't allow listening to a talented homeless man as an excuse for being late.

My thoughts exactly.

All you guys posting shit like:

"Well I would've stopped to listen and if I liked it i would've given them 10 bucks cash

and had an in-depth conversation about how their beautiful music is brightening everyones day."

Whats it like not having a job and having unlimited time to shoot the shit, and stacks of money to give to random strangers?

Also,

If youre not in a hurry to be somewhere, why would you be at the metro station at 7 am?

AUPenis

touche..

i played sax at the springfield mall station in febuary and made a fucking killing in 4 hours of playing half assed go team go and the tmnt theme song..

makes me wonder if people where weary of of him due to how he carried himself. he looked like tim burtons willy wonka at a hick bar.

i'dve prolly sat down and listened to him play for at least an hour then sold the violin to a pawn shop in fort washington

Pretty sure this happened a few years ago...still a cool story though.

/Latepass.jpg

Pearls Before Breakfast

Can one of the nation's great musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? Let's find out.

By Gene Weingarten

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Also,

Mercer-I tried to prop you, but I guess I've gotta spread some rep around first.