Inspiration?

qsysue

I'm having one of those terrible weeks where I just don't feel inspired to do anything. (Except go benching, but I can't do that all the time.) This is normally one of those times when I'd start doing photography experiments like I've posted about in this thread. But I just don't have any ideas, or feel like doing anything--blergh.

What do you do when you need some inspiration? Anyone else got the winter blahs?

I was going to try putting some Instax mini film in my medium format SLR to see how it worked, but I got interrupted and haven't gotten back to it. Maybe I'll do that this afternoon.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when i'm really feeling out of ideas, i try to learn something totally new, or go on a trip.

obviously the trip can be inspiring in it's own way for many reasons

but i've picked up some new skills just out of tiring of something i do regularly.

in the past few years i've turned toward learning about sewing, fabric and crochet for example. yes, i still love painting, photography and drawing (though i don't draw so much anymore) and i do get back to it..

i guess i'd liken it to a problem you might be trying to solve, that you don't think about for a long time, then BOOM the answer hits you while you are singing in the shower.. you turn away from your regular habitual hobby, get out of your comfort zone trying something very new, then you suddenly get all these ides about your photos.

you already do photography experiments, try drawing or sculpting or something?

i sometimes also get hit with ideas when i go to a great museum... stealing other people's shit is good for that too hahaha

• Like 1

Thanks that's a really good suggestion. I'd actually been doing some new creative stuff lately. I wish I could go on a trip but I'm often stuck without a vehicle.

I went out yesterday with a camera I hadn't used in awhile, inspired to get some shots with it, but discovered after I'd left home the shutter was broken. I intended to go benching in the morning then head out to some non-train related places to shoot, but ended up shooting 5 rolls of film at my benching spot and never making it anywhere else. Part of my problem is I'm so obsessed with trains that I never shoot anything else even though I really want to!

• 4 weeks later...

Well thanks that's nice to hear. :)

I'm getting set up to develop my own color film at home now so that should be fun. C41 and E6 both. Can't wait to try cross-processing C41 in E6 chemicals. It's too expensive to have a lab do it but soon I can do it at home.

we are also thinking about starting to do home-developing

our local place has declared bankruptcy so it makes sense.

B&W should be fine... lil more nervous to try color but then i consider that at work, i used to develop western blot film all the freakin time. fun stuff.

nice article fist

i didn't read them all but this caught my eye, naturally it reminded me of what i said up there^ haha

It's very important for inspiration to go elsewhere: to move away from the city into pastoral settings, and to make space for meditation. I also enjoy talking to people who aren't involved in art. For my recent work, I've had a lot of conversations with people involved in digital technologies. It's useful to get perspective on what you do by talking to all sorts of different people.

Thanks for the article fist. Interesting how many writers say music is an influence. I sometimes forget how music can be a great motivator/mood changer.

My first batch of color film done at home had some white spots, which I think is caused by insufficient agitation (happened the first time I tried C41 last year sometime). Scanning the second batch now to see if the problem is gone.

When I'm feeling uninspired I become excessively social. People inspire me, so I submerge myself in situations where I can draw from that.

I'm the opposite. Well I'm just a dorky introvert--if I'm uninspired I'm also very much into hermit mode.

qysue, i was reading the other day about a blind photographer

no shit

that got me to thinking about trying to do stuff we do, with a self-imposed handicap

i might like to paint some metal blindfolded haha, just to see what happened.

http://www.peteeckert.com/photos.php

Wow that is amazing, gonna have to read some of those articles on that guy when I have more time.

I'd be interested in seeing your blind paintings!

everything, of late ive noticed my work is getting more personal as i deal with my own shit more .. take what you want from that but i find that when you can freely express what you have floating around up there you can create some really personal work that you will most likely end up being happy with as it has taken a lot out of you mentally and physically, music is a big influence as well.

off beat tunes you dont normally listen to is a great way of freeing some shit up. i recommend ministry of sound uncovered some offbeat covers of pupular music old and new.

from this to acoustic covers of timberlake that sound pretty good.

this post doesnt make much sense but i just felt i had to contribute some bullshit.