breast cancer

sayWORD?

i halfassed searched, didnt find anything.

really couldnt care less if theres been 50 threads about this previously.

my mom got diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer today.

im devastated.

shes a very healthy woman, non-smoker/light drinker, exercises regularily, good shape in her mid 50s.

basically im on self destruct mode, been drinking since i heard and dont know what to do.

feelin pretty hopeless, although i know there is a high survival rate, and my grandmother was amongst those who survived.

just feel like the most innocent and positive woman got fucked by this bullshit we call life.

thoughts? advice? experiences? info?

anything at all will help right now, as long as its not negativity.

so before you get sarcastic or humorous:

keep in mind, this is my mother we're talkin about here, and i have some serious homicidal tendencies right now.

thanks 12oz...

-sayW.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

alright first of all, i know the feeling.

i got drunk for about 2 days straight when my mum was diagnosed.

the best advice i can think of is to keep the pain and frustration you feel away from your mum.

shit is unbearable to deal with, but you have to man up and keep it out of your mums way,

the less she sees you freaking out, the less she freaks out. My mum kept working through the

chemo because it took her mind off it. anything you can do to keep a sense of regular life

through a very strange and scary time will do her good. It sounds hard and it fucking is, but it really

has to be done. dwelling on the shit doesn't help her.

not saying it's not going to be fucked up, it is. just keep it out of her way.

i know this sounds like weird advice off the bat but everyone you know is going to tell you

war stories about their aunt or someone they know who survived ect. i wish someone had told me

what i said when i first found out.

All I can add is that you try and educate yourself on that type of cancer

and try and be a positive force that keeps her healthy and mentally strong.

I think the last thing your mom needs is to think her son isn't handling HER

disease well. I mean that in all respect. I feel for you brother. You have to go

through this as well so stay strong so she can be strong not worrying about you.

sayWORD? I'M SAYIN

My Aunt got diagnosed with it a little over 2 years ago, survived.

One of the homies I met through 12oz is going through it with his Mom right now, they're doing alright also and looks like she's about to be OK.

It's not easy at all, but chances are she'll be fine after it's all said and done.

Don't self destruct to hard so you can be there for her.

I will speak from first hand experience... I felt all the things you are feeling.

*Your Mom needs you to be positive around her... Be strong for her, dont dwell on the negative. Fighting cancer is more a mental game than a physical... a positive attitude and family support goes such a long way in her fighting it.

* Dont dwell on the cancer when you talk to her... what I'm saying is, talk to her like she's your mom, and not a labeled cancer patient.

*treat her like Gold! Take her out, spend time together, make her feel loved and needed. Keeping her in good spirits will help in her recovery.. trust me... i been there.

And honestly, for me personally for my mom, nothing gives you more strength the prayer... the Lord Almighty. Stage 2 is not only treatable, but BEATABLE.

Be strong... you will not do you mom any favors if she watches you fall apart and has to spend energy worrying about you. you have to be there for your mom... she was there for you your whole life.

-G.

• Like 1

my mom and a crew mates mom both beat breast cancer and the thing i noticed in both of them is even with one getting a double Mastectomy is that both did not give a fuck they had it and just went about their life in the most normal and positive way possible... hopefully she will be fine but as for you, you need to remain upbeat and spend ALOT of time with her. support to the max that you can and it will be good...

my grandmother had it, they gave her 6 months to live 12 years ago and she's still alive. Just saw her on thanksgiving and all is well! Keep high spirits, medicine has come a long way in a short time. And since nobody else has said anything smart ass.... she probably................. i kid. not even gonna say it. Best wishes, I'd be getting fut dup if I was in your shoes.

tell your mom to keep her head high..

if you know what i mean

tumblr_lna4awlX001qljr84o1_500.jpg

nah but forreal, hope everything works out for your mom man. i don't know much about cancer but i think stage two has a pretty good survival rate. don't let it get to you, just keep the faith and all, tell your mother to do the same. i'll pray for her.

tell your mom to keep her head high..

if you know what i mean

tumblr_lna4awlX001qljr84o1_500.jpg

nah but forreal, hope everything works out for your mom man. i don't know much about cancer but i think stage two has a pretty good survival rate. don't let it get to you, just keep the faith and all, tell your mother to do the same. i'll pray for her.

It's awful, stay strong for her though man, the last thing she needs is to be worrying about how you're dealing with it. You need to be positive for her, take some time to process and then man up. Don't treat her like glass, the best thing you can do is keep it ticking over. It's VERY beatable and you're Canadian, right? You have some awesome healthcare there. Stay positive, you're in my thoughts innit.

Don't take yourself into a depressive downward spiral.

My mum had breast cancer and I spent the whole time just making the best of things, making her laugh and getting her mind away from it. She's usually an extremely anxious woman anyway.

If you start getting down and out that's not gonna help her at all. Carry on as if nothing has changed man, don't read too far into the negatives and worry yourself/her. Hopefully it all goes well for her.

Cancer sucks, lost too many people to it myself. But as redeye said, medicine has come a long way. There's some good success stories these days surrounding breast cancer.

Keep your head up man, take your mum out for some nice lunches or something and try to keep everything positive around the treatments, etc..

Good luck dude, hope it all works out.

just wanted to say that i really appreciate every kind word that was said in this thread and throughout pm's.

especially dow.

thanks brah.

im so ignorant in this subject because, of course, i thought it would never happen to me or mine.

i can understand that me self destructing is nothing but detrimental to my mother and her health, and i definitely needa get my shit in order with the quickness.

its funny how when a situation such as this arises you remember in minute detail every bad thing youve ever put your mother through, and then automatically hate yourself for it.

it doesnt help with the self medicating.

today is the first day in my life that ive seen my dad break down.

it broke my heart.

im gonna do my best to be the best i can be.

for my mom and the rest of my fam.

ive been talking alot to my friends outside the internet, but all i seem to get is that patronizing/pitying look, and alot of "im sure it will be okay".

apparently, no one in my social circle has had direct contact with this kind of illness, which kinda surprises me.

again, i really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment, especially those with kind words or their own experiences.

grd, mercer, noes, romero, injury, bizley, iou, rea, ihu, brickos, internerd, bedframed, archie, shl, bigdough69, perts...

good lookin out.

lots of love from canuckville,

-sW

**thanks to you too, daily

My heart is breaking for you...this disease changes how you see the world & you begin to evaluate your life. Suddenly. At 50. Life. Dammit.

I am so deeply sorry for you & especially for your Mom.

Let me first say, my son was THE best, most helpful, wonderful,

amazing person during my surgeries & dreadful chemotherapy & all the other shit the health care system puts you thru.

He lived with me, took care of me & got me thru the worst of it.

He cooked for me, cheered me up, walked the dog, did the laundry, damn...I would've been lost without HIM.

I HOPE you can be that person for your Mom too.

Trust me, she needs you. A lot.

Please pm me if you'd like me to relay the research I've done. Or if I can do anything. Even just listen.

For the past 4 years, people have said to me "Oh, you're so strong, tough, & keeping it together."

Are you fuckin kidding me? I've never been so scared or so scarred.

But I don't want to freak them out so I try to keep smiling.

Don't bother reading the horrible shit people on 12oz wrote/posted to me in 'Breast Cancer Graffiti'. Sick photos which were removed, cruel comments.Yeah, some usernames were awesome, most were really insensitive heartless bastards with no souls.

I wish you & your family the best. Love is what's important, not sickness.

good luck to her, and you

my mom was really sick for my entire life, it's a tough thing to deal with.

breast cancer can be treatable., also can be fatal, so i hope she got good news along with her diagnosis

my tattoo artist specializes in helping reconstruction of the breasts post-mastectomy

he does a really nice job replacing the removed nipple. in most therapies, they only use vegetable dye so it's a redundant treatment.

i hope she is able to get good treatment, i've heard the breast cancer center in new orleans is one of the best. very pricey though. they developed this new surgery that is so cool, instead of a typical 4-5 rounds of surgery they do the whole thing in one go, using her tissue to rebuild the breast rather than doing implants

http://www.breastcenter.com/

if she got genetic testing for the brca gene and you ever have a baby girl, get her tested for it.

more info about brca gene http://www.facingourrisk.org/

Check out http://www.annieappleseeds.org/ for alternative treatment, diet, health etc.

Also,http://www.wisewoman.com...herbal remedies: green tea, tumeric, curry, fish, soy depending on if estrogen pos/post menopausal.

What symbols mentioned about using one's own tissue only works if the person's not a smoker etc., so not an option for me...but it's worked really well for women I know & they seem to get back on their feet quicker.

Many of the prescribing physicians wouldn't even go thru the medical treatment they advise YOU to undergo.

Cancer is a billion dollar business...