travel log - iwakuni, japan - 2011

KILZ FILLZ

this country is amazing, too bad the language barrier is so intense. even reading a subway map is a struggle. ive dealt with german, italian, and spanish before when reading maps... but nothing like this chicken-scratch-japanese.

last night i went to a 7/11 to use the atm. i brought a six pack of beer to the register and was ready to pay but the cashier was trying to tell me something. then he reached under the counter and pulled out a cardboard box about 10x10x24 with 2 hand sized holes cut into the front which were covered with cloth so you couldnt see inside. the box had 7/11 logos on it and japanese writing. by looking at it you could tell it was some sort of a 'game'. he gestured the number '2' which i figured meant that i get two attempts. i stuck my hand in the hole on the left first and felt gift cards in the bottom and i pulled one out... then i reached into the hole on the right also finding gift cards and pulled out another. peculiar. well turns out one of those cards won me a free beer and the other was a dud. but i won a free beer ... because i bought beer. fucking wild.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STY4Y.jpg

this is whale sashimi. what kind of whale? i dont know. i tried the first piece on its own with no soy sauce or wasabi and it was kinda tough to get down. the rest i ate with the sauce and it was delicious! the taste was similar to a rare to med rare steak. texture was also similar to steak but chewier. very tasty. i

i tried ordering horse sashimi but they were sold out for the day.

RncJ9.jpg

red snapper is my favorite for sashimi or nigiri. this was nearly transparent. absolutely delicious

• Like 1

q9OIK.jpg

some kind of giant sea snail... grilled in the shell. also very good.

kVZiZ.jpg

dont know what these are but the cook kept trying to get me to try some and i eventually caved. im glad i did. that yellow in there is egg (which he beat in the bowl this his fingers..gross) and the tofu cubes you see in there soaked up the flavor of everything.

2i4Wb.jpg

un cooked

my first full day in town was yesterday. i had the day off of work and did what i usually do my first day in a new place... i just went for a very long walk and got lost. i wandered the city for abour 4-5 hours going up and down allys, thru the shopping district, stopped in an arcade to watch some local kids beast on street fighter, just wandering really.

it started to rain so i ducked into the sushi bar that i ate those meals at^. i think i spent another 2 hours in there just enjoying myself. through out the entire time i was eating, i was the only person who wasnt japanese in there. the stools at the bar only came up to about my knee :haha:

peace for now

Iwakuni is where my father's side of the family is from, he's nisei-2nd generation in US....I believe it's well known for a wooden bridge made without any nails...I have a silver coin with the bridge on it, not sure if it'll scan tho, but I'll give it a shot.

My grandfather came to Hawaii to work on a sugar cane plantation. My grandmother was a picture bride. They had 10 children, 8 survived. All of my Aunt's & Uncle's served in the US military during WWII & worked in the cane fields after school as children for 35 cents a day.

My father & the 100th & 442nd WWII Nisei's just received their Congressional gold medals for outstanding service 2 weeks ago!!! 66 years late, as most of the veterans are 87-93 years old now...

15e1d166.jpg

Kintai Bridge, Yamaguchi Prefecture, built in 1673

(Sorry it's a lil crooked, it's after 5am & I'm too tired to re-scan it...)

• Like 3

Weren't you worried about finding a wife before you turn 30?

Find a submissive, slant eyed Nippon wench while there.

Language barrier overcome...BOOM! SCIENCE, NIGRA.

WHY did I have to see this post? WHY WHY WHY???

Where are you, so I can smack you in the head?

BTW...Go pay your hooker, she's tired of beating you into submission for free...

WHY did I have to see this post? WHY WHY WHY???

Where are you, so I can smack you in the head?

BTW...Go pay your hooker, she's tired of beating you into submission for free...

was his discussion of ching chongs culturally insensitive?

BOAT N HOES; i always go wandering on my first day in a new place too, it usually ends up in a late, drunk night and no idea how to get back to the hostel. but thats where you have the best fun, having no idea what to expect you always find some cool shit

looking forward to reading this thread. subscribed.

Don't derail BOATZ travel thread with your seriousness, prease.

/chopstix

Ah, Hakuchisan!...Domo Arigato!, Gaijin...for reminding me of the developmentally delayed level of intellect often encountered here...

GFV...Escuchame pendejo, toma su basura y come mierda. Esta fregado.

Vete pa'l carajo. Cono! Maldito!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BnH~Enjoy your travels & have a great time!

was his discussion of ching chongs culturally insensitive?

BOAT N HOES; i always go wandering on my first day in a new place too, it usually ends up in a late, drunk night and no idea how to get back to the hostel. but thats where you have the best fun, having no idea what to expect you always find some cool shit

looking forward to reading this thread. subscribed.

that is EXACTLY how it ended up/ i discovered jap beer gives me a PBR hangover.

i always enjoy wandering for the 'exploration' aspect but it is also a good idea because you kinda build 'mental landmarks' for the city

wander for a day and you wont get lost after that!

Yokoso! (Welcome)

BE careful, thought I would be here for 1 year, 8 years later....

Still here.

Love it though and for many reasons, not just the cute girls and delicious healthy food.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21181-radiation-levels-in-fukushima-are-lower-than-predicted.html

Just as a bonus

I was 'sposed to be here 3 weeks +

but on the dissy of the aircraft we discovered the problem within the first 15 mins

who ever built it last forgot a critial 'o-ring'

my 3 weeks in japan turned into 4 days in a hurry :[

You only took photos of your food?

Needs moar street flickz.

Travel threads are always good though

Will be waiting for more

ive been taking a lot of pics of street scenes

theyre also my favorite to view

howver, my least favorite to host, comment on, and post

oh sweet irony

I planned on posting a bunch of pics tonight but my laptop died

-so I went on w living my life-

Took my phone off 'airport mode' to post this real quick. Prolly costing me $50/kb...

SAYONARA BITCHES!!!

yesterday i climbed up the fire escape of one of the taller buildings in town

OqJEu.jpg

05PQ1.jpg

j9QpU.jpg

M7eZV.jpg

found out this is a temple for the dead

FKbAt.jpg

aX8Ni.jpg

spotted a fire in the distance

BEkqJ.jpg

i wanted to climb up this blue fire escape ^

but it ran right along peoples windows...

• Like 2