DJ's and laptops aka elbows and assholes

Sir Doodles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moogle. let me help you out here right quick. if a niggas just pushing buttons and not

giving any fucks whatsoever about beat matching or crowd response. they are doing it wrong.

we ALL fucking know what a dj is in the greater sense of the word. especially those of us

who grew up on hip hop and know niggas are s'posed to be on some turn table shit. but my slime. it's really not that serious. EVERY old school dj i know these days is pushing some sort of program. serato, torq, traktor whatever. if i could somehow magically acquire all different types music i own on records and find some fairly cheap out-of-make ass tech 12's i'd do it no question. but then comes the issue of transportation. if your in a city. niggas are NOT carrying that shit on the subway. i do not call myself a dj. for i've many year to earn. nor to i like it when people can't even beat match and claim to be. this is my set-up. yes it's cool a couple years departed. i need to use it more. life was sweet with a couple gigs a month and extra cheese spillin out the pockets.

11458_1.jpg

they still use the vinyl plates though.. (for the most part).

n you can find some 1200s on craigslist probably.. or even eBay. theres still a bunch floating around.

that shit there is some shit you fool around with at home

plus its making shit way more complicated than it has to be with all those buttons n shit.. all you really need is a good ear..

but as long as you know how to use it.. fuck it

In all fairness would you diss a carpenter that used a nail gun instead of a hammer?

Bill%2BMurray%2Bn40950792955_1158608_7034.jpg

it's not really dj'ing if you're using auto cue and auto sync is it...

This thing looks like a fucking fisher and price toy, something a 3 year old would figure out in 2 seconds

also overly gay. i don't think i've ever touched those damn sync buttons.

learned on tables and a fader. those are the only parts i've ever used on the x.

with the exception of the occasional sample sounds of "uncle luke."

**also. mr. moderator mercer.

might you be able to explain to me why i keep

having to log back in after every different page load?

oontz been acting weird as fuck for anyone else or

is this my shitty work desks settings problem?

been djing 4 5 years started with vinyl still own 2 techs. my boy got serato 5 so he gave me aerato 1 a while ago and its pretty cool, i dont really need 2 buy to many records anymore. so i dont hate on people using serato but i do hate on half ass djs who use laptops only and r gettin gigs after 1 month of doin it and think theyre the shit. i dont even really like djs who cant flare or crab or juggle but thats just me

See this I can respect, you've evolved using various formats. But at least you started out on vinyl.

Please pass me a mix now sir thank you.

99.9% of what I do now is radio, but if you want I can send you a set from a show I do once a month. It's mainly indie/wave/psych stuff, not hip hop or club music.

Personally, I prefer nothing advances technologically past what was around when I was about 15 years old.

New Technology and all its benefits frighten me.

I liked it better back when we only had rich kids DJ, because they could afford to buy tons of vinyl, and they sucked just as bad as most of todays DJ's.

I'm running windows 95 and netscape navigator to view this site, the user experience sucks but at least I'm keeping it real.

I'll be back, gotta run down to the pay phone, someone just paged me.

• Like 1

See this I can respect, you've evolved using various formats. But at least you started out on vinyl.

Please pass me a mix now sir thank you.

Here's something my HD coughed up from way back when I played funk-

http://www.mediafire.com/?fo87d4e4ygnau6n

Some assembly required (the folder got alphabetized so you'll have to move things around till it sounds good, or listen to it and shut the fuck up).

Personally, I prefer nothing advances technologically past what was around when I was about 15 years old.

New Technology and all its benefits frighten me.

I liked it better back when we only had rich kids DJ, because they could afford to buy tons of vinyl, and they sucked just as bad as most of todays DJ's.

I'm running windows 95 and netscape navigator to view this site, the user experience sucks but at least I'm keeping it real.

I'll be back, gotta run down to the pay phone, someone just paged me.

you big tear jerker ass nigga

i'm all for vynil really... eveyone who i see on laptops these days are playing dubstep/electro all recent sort of stuff... which isn't to my taste...

i'm well chuffed when i see someone spinning records... because i know they're probably gonna be something that wasn't released in the past 10 years... and i really think i would knock someone clean out if they were playing a tune before me on a lap top that i had been digging over fifteen years to find...

like el sabbah nur said "nobody respects the crate digging game anymore" which in my opinion is essential in the fuckin' DJ field... really we could be having pretty much the same argument aboot re-pressed vynil to original pressings...

but if you're using fuckin' ableton/serato/tractor and pushing a button to fuckin' mix the tracks for you... you really shouldn't be calling yourself a DJ

i'm also a carpenter, and i don't use a fuckin' nail gun... wooden shafted hammers all day son...

I used to feel the same way about having music no one else had, but the internet is just too convenient of a resource to pass up. It did level the playing field somewhat but I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing...you have to know what to look for and where to find it, then know what to do with it.

Programs like Serato can make anyone sound technically proficient but it takes time and experience to make a good set.

^ this right here...

really if you're playing funk and northern soul...

you're gonna have to be travelling to record fares, or auctions where old radio stations have gone into liquidation (that's where you find rare fuckin' gems)... but you know once you find that fuckin' record you've been hunting like a fuckin' whoore fir... fir fuckin' years, and you get it for a good price... i really doubt any cunt could put a fuckin' price on that... especially when yi see the croud's reaction playin' it oot...

it doesn't have to be expensive... it just needs the effort of goin' to car boot/ jumble sales and keeping digging alive...

on the other hand... i'm well aware that record spinning is i dying art, and if you're trying to play recent material on vynil then you're pissing in the wind...

it's gonna be so much easier to download that pish...

for me it boils doon to what the fuck you're gonna be playin'...

i'm pretty drunk right now...

laptop dj's are lame.

It's semantics but I agree with you about 90% of the time....there's a few notable exceptions, though.

Nightmare- it's not a mix, it's a playset from a radio show I did about five years ago...I don't remember what order it went in so have fun with that.

Either way, enjoy. I'll upload a mix of some more current music (well, current for me) eventually.

I have Traktor and Logic Studio installed and play with it from time to time. I am simply a person who plays music to get the living quarters all the way live.

6846437.jpg