Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ronald Reagan

General train information/guide for beginners

I've been painting for a few yrs now and only recently started to get interested in the freight scene.

I quickly fell in love with the feeling of painting trains or even just benching and snooping around the yard and layups looking at all the types of cars. A feeling i quite frankly cant get from painting the streets.

I have found myself growing an interest in trains in general (not just freight graffiti) and i am therefore trying to find some site or book or w.e where i could read up and get information on general train history, types of cars, etc etc

I am not even sure such a website exists but im giving it a shot. anybody knows anything?

thank you!

Is this a joke? You have the internet. Use it. If you cant even manage to do some searching then suck it. People are getting dumber and lazier by the second.

Id wager you could type somehing like oh i dont know history of railroads or whatever into google and voila... results.

haha, some of yall are on edge. rolling nowhere, take a xanax dude. you need to tone it down. skip the thread if you dont like what you see, fuck outta here.

trust me, i have been looking around google and have found some shit i was looking (including on this forum). doesnt hurt anyone if I ask around... someone couldve found something i havent found (and be willing to share)...

^ no it won't (although it is a cool book). Get books on actual railroad history and on modern operations, check railfan sites, and theres great books on railroad rolling stock (railcars) too. I've found that a lot of writers have a very biased and often immature view on railroading.

Is this a joke? You have the internet. Use it. If you cant even manage to do some searching then suck it. People are getting dumber and lazier by the second.

Id wager you could type somehing like oh i dont know history of railroads or whatever into google and voila... results.

amen and if you cant find nothing on Google or yahoo you must be a retard

I've found that a lot of writers have a very biased and often immature view on railroading.

seriously. people out there painting 1000 freights in a year and they really dont know anything about railroads. seems weird to me.

my knowledge skyrocketed when i started riding trains.

im not trying to be an asshole but i am an asshole i guess. there was hardly a fucking internet when i started really getting into trains so anyone who cant figure it out in 2011 probably should go back to video games or whatever dumb shit people do these days. look around motherfucker. damn.

the internet and the library are your greatest source of info. also maybe visit a freight museum. i went to the one in dallas and got one of those little miniature UP engine toys.. shits dope.

anyways, since im sort of a nice guy i'll post the different names of different trains etc.

gondola.

marklin_ho_freight_gondola_4689_02.JPG

gondolas tend to be smaller than freight cars,most carry scrap metal and random shit like that. the great thing about gondolas is they almost never get buffed. atleast thats the impression i get, the oldest pieces i see are on these things. im talkin early nineties shit.

hopper.

3350658132_213ede40b7.jpg

coal trains, real common freight car out there, probably the most common. most are clean, in the sense that not many get hit, and if they do its usually only tags and throws. you can see a whole line of these fucking things roll by and see nothing but silver. which is alright if your a big freight enthuiast, but if you are there with the purpose of benching it can be kinda disheartening.

covered hopper

coveredHopper5100PD.jpg

im not a hundred percent on what these things carry, i've always been under the impression that they carry mostly grain or wheat etc. everyone calls them tankers, but i think thats a misnomer. great for painting imo. they tend to be kinda high up though.

tanker

AAXC3H.jpg

tags and throws, tags and throws. theres a youtube vid of one of these things imploding, shit was nice.

boxcar

image019.jpg

trying to find one that isn't crushed is almost impossible. everyone loves box cars. they carry all types of goods so they go all over the place (most freights do haha) the door bar is a bitch if you're painting.

autoracks

autorack001.jpg

carries cars and shit. everyone loves them. for obvious reasons.

reefers

IMG13850.jpg

refridgerated cars. everyone wants to paint these. tropicanas especially. i've never painted them, and only seen a handful of them, i assume their pretty rare but it might just be where im staying at. anyways most fools i talk to say they are like the epitome of freight cars or something.

doublestacks

350px-DTTX_724681_20050529_IL_Rochelle.jpg

some people call them piggybacks,you can see why too. i like them, lower to the ground and all that. if your a little motherfucker these are the freights for you haha.

i'd say talk to kabar or rolling nowhere if you want to know about freights, but it seems rolling wants nothing to do with that hahaha.

anyways, from reading this forum he seems to be full of all types of knowledge about freights, check the trainspotting section and read through all the threads, there is bound to be some gems there.

i never said i was the most knowledgable about freights. i just know a little bit about them.

where im from coal cars are the most common, i assume they are the most common freight car because coal is byfar the most common commodity transported by freight.

everyone talks about autoracks like their the shit, i've never heard anyone be like "man fuck autoracks and their smooth surfaces". there are whole threads here about autoracks and reefers. so obviously someone likes them.

i've heard alot of people call covered hoppers tankers, infact when i looked up "covered hoppers" tank car came up instead. i don't call them tankers, but some do, thats why i added it.not everyone is as educated on freights as you are.

toys aren't the only thing turning the freight scene to shit, its dickhead writers with who think because they've been in it longer they can be an ass to everyone. you started out as a no knowledge toy just like everyone else who's painted freights or hopped them or whatever else. no need to shit on everyone who wants to know a bit more about freights. could he have maybe googled it instead? yeah probably. my guess is he wanted to get some info from people more experienced with freights and the graffiti aspect of it, unaware that everyone on this website has a inflated,usually unearned ego about them.

graffiti became a 'how-to' guide once it went online

it really took the fire out of it