Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

((((( open mic/amateur stand-up )))))

i was skimming through the comments during & assumed it was something along the lines of that

apart from what is obvious, i knew fuck all regarding stand-up until a year ago or so; a friend showed me clips of various legends & tuned me into the world of comedy podcasts

recently watched doug stanhopes hour in NYC via comedy central & it was great

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it. It's a great experience, and you should definitely go for it if you've ever thought about it. you find out what jokes work, and what jokes don't. Delivery is the tough part. always add to you set, and revise! also practice makes perfect. go through your set a few times before the night you go on. And don't be afraid of making fun of yourself, all the best comics are self-loathing.

I can't figure out if I like stand up or not. I don't really watch it often.

Either way, a few people have told me that I should do it, but:

1. I don't want to.

2. A kid who did stand up dated my homegirl and he was a fucking weirdo.

3. My humor is kind of dry and spontaneous and it usually requires something to spark it, like someone saying something fucking retarded, which is probably why I've had so much success around here.

I've thought about it. There are some great am shows in San Francisco every week and I was going a lot the last few years. I heckle pretty fucking hard and have been encouraged to go up on stage by a fair amount of people. Never done it yet, though I do intend to. Just a bucket list goal really.

I love stand up comedy.

If you ever did have a go at it Realism, definitely have SystemFailure open up for ya. You nig-nogs provide the lulz.

Yes.

Not one of those faggoty negative hecklers, you know just hating on everything and everybody. Not like that at all.

I like to think of it more as encouragement through cheerful antagonism. And if/when I ever get up on stage I'll expect the same from a crowd.

I've done it. It's a great experience, and you should definitely go for it if you've ever thought about it. you find out what jokes work, and what jokes don't. Delivery is the tough part. always add to you set, and revise! also practice makes perfect. go through your set a few times before the night you go on. And don't be afraid of making fun of yourself, all the best comics are self-loathing.

nice, how many times have you performed?

I can't figure out if I like stand up or not. I don't really watch it often.

Either way, a few people have told me that I should do it, but:

1. I don't want to.

2. A kid who did stand up dated my homegirl and he was a fucking weirdo.

3. My humor is kind of dry and spontaneous and it usually requires something to spark it, like someone saying something fucking retarded, which is probably why I've had so much success around here.

whenever (if at all) you find a comedian who shares a similar outlook, & inspires you by telling it to the world as you wish you already have, that may change

heckling is dumb. let people do their show. nobody paid to listen to you.

agreed... but i recognize them as a part of the game; a rite of passage, even

your friend is pursuing his dream in a way he wishes to pursue it & that is all gravy

i have slowly started writing jokes & concepts on paper as they come, a baby step

Talked to my big bro the other night at dinner, he knows the local comedy club owner pretty well. Said he can get me in as intro for the real deal's, dont know if thats the best idea for my first time but ive always been someone to jump in the deep end first.

Been writing ideas/topics in my pad during class, car ride whatever.

Im giving myself a few weeks to get a decent routine and do a little rehearsing then I think im going for it.

Wish me luck nurgas.

^

Split personalities meaning you and whoever they said was your other screename(am i thinking about the wrong person?)

or are you talking out the side of your neck.

And yeah ill definatly tell you guys how it goes, if someone tapes it I might just post it on here, dont know if ill post the footage but atleast the audio.

comedy. yes.

saw paul f tompkins last week. he killed. 90% of his set was completely new- first night doing it. he got heckeled by some drunk idiot and tompkins handled it so well. dont want to type story too lazy.

one of my favorites is stanhope, seen him 3 times. got better and better each time. if you want to see him one night be sure to go to the late show. saw jeselnick and his girl amy shummer couple months ago with todd barry etc im basically just name dropping now so ill shut up but yeah im a stand up nerd.

i was supposed to get tix for louie but that sold out. never seen him before but i need to before he dies. hes been doing awesome for years hes probably going to die soon.

listen to wtf with marc maron if you enjoy comedy.

• Like 1