((((( open mic/amateur stand-up )))))

MedicineCabinet

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha thatd be a good way to open it up really.

Ill probably, actually definatly be drunk so I dont really care its just stand up.

Ive been watching alot of Louie and its reinvigorated my interest to do this.

Hope all you guys who have been doing it love it, who knows maby one of us will be the next big thing.

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Talking Funny" on HBO, I'm sure it's online if you don't have the channel.

Louis C.K., Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock sit around talk comedy.

Completely interesting, 'inspiring' as far as comedic careers and that fields go. They even mention their first jokes and standup early years..

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Talking Funny" on HBO, I'm sure it's online if you don't have the channel.

Louis C.K., Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock sit around talk comedy.

Completely interesting, 'inspiring' as far as comedic careers and that fields go. They even mention their first jokes and standup early years..[/color]

sounds awesome

thanks, i will definitely check it out

Last night it went down fellas.

First gig, hole in the wall but still atleast 30 people came out.

Only 5 people did a gig, I was up about 10 minutes.

It was amazing, not me but the experience.

Alot of homies/girlies came out to support me and I had people dap me up

after my routine, and they actually ask me to do and encore, so I did about

another 5minutes.

Im stoked, hopefully I can make it a weekly thing

• Like 2

Yeah man it was quite the experience. I was prepped for my first 10 with shit ive been writing down all week, the 5min encore was a few things I forgot in my first set and then I pulled 3 or 4 jokes and a quick story out of my ass.

Thats awsome dude, exactly how I got my gig. Get your fella/ladies to come out, drink but not too much before and it should be a good ass time.

Good luck big homie, im sure youll bring the heat

word the fuck up cunt, congrats! the first experience itself was like lifting weight off your chest, was it not br0?

i did my third one on tuesday, at a place with less dreads (they werenice, though) - same jokes as the week before. they were understood a little more to say at the least at this place. the people were generally cool to me, so i will hopefully try to go back next week

there is no way i can say "good luck" on this page again without sounding like a total fagg0t, but good luck also, words

if either of you ever stop by toronto, i am totally down to go eat shit on some random open mic with yall

• Like 1

I how some girls up in montreal area ive been meaning to visit.

If im out that way which is quite possible this summer well try to link up and do a set itd be fun as shit if nothing else.

Congrats to everyone doing this, im already looking for my second place to go but the first lace I went was almost begging me to come back next week so I might make that my training camp till I get my routine polished.

How do you guys rehearse/write your stuff?

I just have a piece of paper I carry on me and when I get an idea I write it down then on some side time(shower/driving) whatever i try to say it out loud or think how I can tie it in.

Stories are the best though, even shit that youre use to in life can be lolz to other people.

I how some girls up in montreal area ive been meaning to visit.

If im out that way which is quite possible this summer well try to link up and do a set itd be fun as shit if nothing else.

Congrats to everyone doing this, im already looking for my second place to go but the first lace I went was almost begging me to come back next week so I might make that my training camp till I get my routine polished.

How do you guys rehearse/write your stuff?

I just have a piece of paper I carry on me and when I get an idea I write it down then on some side time(shower/driving) whatever i try to say it out loud or think how I can tie it in.

Stories are the best though, even shit that youre use to in life can be lolz to other people.

word2dat, i will be here if you ever stop by. you also, words

whenever a good idea is transmitted into my third eye, i scribble it down on a piece of paper... it may be the entire joke, half, or just the premise, but it usually takes me a few days to whittle it down articulately, to compose into a "joke"

i also consider how it would flow like an arrow; organically into the next joke. for example, a bunch of quick jokes with a similar theme, i will consider using them in groups... basically just going by n00b instinct, but it seems to make sense/somewhat work

& agreed on the stories... check out joey diaz, one of the greatest storytellers. dude has lived a crazy fucking life

any of you listen to free comedy podcasts? if so, which ones do you enjoy on a regular basis?

I dont undertsand your Aussie bullshit, if your saying dont perform for your friends that probably because you have few,

and no one cares about hoe fucking bothersome you are, either you do stand up comedy or shut the fuck up

Ahhh.......... not here to apologise, but I would like to point out that you misread me. It's cool because you said you don't understand.

If you read back, I've posted nothing but positives and also told you I do daily routines to groups of people.

My point was, I prefer to try new material on people I do not know - because my mates laugh at everything I say, sometimes just because they are confused. Sometimes because I pull a funny face.

My mates are a bit Australian though.

Mate had a carrot up his nose, banana in his ear and a zucchini in his hand. Went to the doctor.

Turns out he wasn't eating right.

a list of free weekly podcasts from some of my favourite comedians

bill burrs monday morning podcast

http://billburr.com/podcast

uninformed with bill burr & joe derosa (discontinued)

http://www.youtube.com/user/omgwtfitssteve/search?sort=dd&query=uninformed&view=u&page=1

the joe rogan experience

the lavender hour with natasha leggero & duncan trussell

http://lavenderhour.com/

beauty & da beast podcast with joey diaz & felicia michaels

http://www.beautyanddabeast.com/

ari shaffirs skeptic tank

http://www.arishaffir.com/

Ahhh.......... not here to apologise, but I would like to point out that you misread me. It's cool because you said you don't understand.

If you read back, I've posted nothing but positives and also told you I do daily routines to groups of people.

My point was, I prefer to try new material on people I do not know - because my mates laugh at everything I say, sometimes just because they are confused. Sometimes because I pull a funny face.

My mates are a bit Australian though.

Mate had a carrot up his nose, banana in his ear and a zucchini in his hand. Went to the doctor.

Turns out he wasn't eating right.

My bad man, I was drunk as fuck when I responded so obviously I half way took it the wrong way.

S'all good.

Keep doing your thing, thats awsome youre consistant.

Whats aussie humor like, ive meet maby one bloke from down under and he was Americanized.

On a sidenote I think ive booked my second gig at a bigger place sometime in Feb.

this shit is really fun, anyone reading this thread should hop on and go out and give it a try.

AYYYYYYYYYE!!

I did my first standup show sunday and got invited back this wednesday. I didn't kiiill but my jokes definitely landed within about a 20+ people crowd (at least paying attention). No one else even performed that night but the host told me Wed nights get packed up to around 100 people.

So def into this and I really appreciate this thread and the support. Man I REAALLY fuckin like this. Nerves totally left after a couple minutes being up there.

And yea my before practice outline is: small note or expanded joke, practice out loud in car or on various people without them realizing I'm trying material and while I was up there I ad-libbed/improved on the jokes.

*I don't travel much but if the opportunity ever comes around, I'll def drop by Meds, thanks.

• Like 2

Fucking A man, good shit.

Im already prepping for my second gig, and the place I did my first invited me back mid FEB.

Anyone else doing shit besides me MC, and ATWW?

What kind of flow did you have, tell stories, short jokes?

And yeah I pulled a few jokes out of my ass as well, once you get up there and get comfortable its basiclaly just talking to people.

AYYYYYYYYYE!!

I did my first standup show sunday and got invited back this wednesday. I didn't kiiill but my jokes definitely landed within about a 20+ people crowd (at least paying attention). No one else even performed that night but the host told me Wed nights get packed up to around 100 people.

So def into this and I really appreciate this thread and the support. Man I REAALLY fuckin like this. Nerves totally left after a couple minutes being up there.

And yea my before practice outline is: small note or expanded joke, practice out loud in car or on various people without them realizing I'm trying material and while I was up there I ad-libbed/improved on the jokes.

*I don't travel much but if the opportunity ever comes around, I'll def drop by Meds, thanks.[/color]

good shit, man! i am happy you broke that shell

agreed on the nerves leaving after a bit... i think that is when you get into a "zen" state where your worries leave you & you feel your act naturally flow out. great feeling

haha yea, i sometimes practice bits out loud while showering