((((( open mic/amateur stand-up )))))

MedicineCabinet

I've done it. It's a great experience, and you should definitely go for it if you've ever thought about it. you find out what jokes work, and what jokes don't. Delivery is the tough part. always add to you set, and revise! also practice makes perfect. go through your set a few times before the night you go on. And don't be afraid of making fun of yourself, all the best comics are self-loathing.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure out if I like stand up or not. I don't really watch it often.

Either way, a few people have told me that I should do it, but:

1. I don't want to.

2. A kid who did stand up dated my homegirl and he was a fucking weirdo.

3. My humor is kind of dry and spontaneous and it usually requires something to spark it, like someone saying something fucking retarded, which is probably why I've had so much success around here.

I've thought about it. There are some great am shows in San Francisco every week and I was going a lot the last few years. I heckle pretty fucking hard and have been encouraged to go up on stage by a fair amount of people. Never done it yet, though I do intend to. Just a bucket list goal really.

I love stand up comedy.

If you ever did have a go at it Realism, definitely have SystemFailure open up for ya. You nig-nogs provide the lulz.

I've done it. It's a great experience, and you should definitely go for it if you've ever thought about it. you find out what jokes work, and what jokes don't. Delivery is the tough part. always add to you set, and revise! also practice makes perfect. go through your set a few times before the night you go on. And don't be afraid of making fun of yourself, all the best comics are self-loathing.

nice, how many times have you performed?

I can't figure out if I like stand up or not. I don't really watch it often.

Either way, a few people have told me that I should do it, but:

1. I don't want to.

2. A kid who did stand up dated my homegirl and he was a fucking weirdo.

3. My humor is kind of dry and spontaneous and it usually requires something to spark it, like someone saying something fucking retarded, which is probably why I've had so much success around here.

whenever (if at all) you find a comedian who shares a similar outlook, & inspires you by telling it to the world as you wish you already have, that may change

heckling is dumb. let people do their show. nobody paid to listen to you.

agreed... but i recognize them as a part of the game; a rite of passage, even

your friend is pursuing his dream in a way he wishes to pursue it & that is all gravy

i have slowly started writing jokes & concepts on paper as they come, a baby step

Talked to my big bro the other night at dinner, he knows the local comedy club owner pretty well. Said he can get me in as intro for the real deal's, dont know if thats the best idea for my first time but ive always been someone to jump in the deep end first.

Been writing ideas/topics in my pad during class, car ride whatever.

Im giving myself a few weeks to get a decent routine and do a little rehearsing then I think im going for it.

Wish me luck nurgas.

^

Split personalities meaning you and whoever they said was your other screename(am i thinking about the wrong person?)

or are you talking out the side of your neck.

And yeah ill definatly tell you guys how it goes, if someone tapes it I might just post it on here, dont know if ill post the footage but atleast the audio.

comedy. yes.

saw paul f tompkins last week. he killed. 90% of his set was completely new- first night doing it. he got heckeled by some drunk idiot and tompkins handled it so well. dont want to type story too lazy.

one of my favorites is stanhope, seen him 3 times. got better and better each time. if you want to see him one night be sure to go to the late show. saw jeselnick and his girl amy shummer couple months ago with todd barry etc im basically just name dropping now so ill shut up but yeah im a stand up nerd.

i was supposed to get tix for louie but that sold out. never seen him before but i need to before he dies. hes been doing awesome for years hes probably going to die soon.

listen to wtf with marc maron if you enjoy comedy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
cuuunt, how did your set go?

Havent done it yet.

I was set up for late November but due to some bullshit it didnt pull through.

To be honest its been on my mind and ive been working on my routine.

It will happen, and hopefully there will be audio, maby even video.

Thanks for re-vamping my interest in this, definatly something I dont want to let go.

That's awesome man hope you pull thru with it.

Just found a lil bar that does open mic night on sundays. I'm trying to setup my material with a good intro, small joke, story joke and out...

Are any of you practicing your jokes with other people? Like I'll randomly throw in my bits with coworkers without them realizing I'm testing my material out. Small crowds are a different story but I can manage speaking to a good amount of people while teling a story at a party.

Havent done it yet.

I was set up for late November but due to some bullshit it didnt pull through.

To be honest its been on my mind and ive been working on my routine.

It will happen, and hopefully there will be audio, maby even video.

Thanks for re-vamping my interest in this, definatly something I dont want to let go.

no problem/pressure

let us know how it goes, when it does

That's awesome man hope you pull thru with it.

Just found a lil bar that does open mic night on sundays. I'm trying to setup my material with a good intro, small joke, story joke and out...

Are any of you practicing your jokes with other people? Like I'll randomly throw in my bits with coworkers without them realizing I'm testing my material out. Small crowds are a different story but I can manage speaking to a good amount of people while teling a story at a party.[/color]

good shit!

hah - i too, looked for a small place on a quiet night; it was a crowd of no more than 15

My bar does it every Monday. It's gotten to the point where the bar is packed.

Stand-up is going through a resurgence in Chicago. Some people that suck have no focus,

or direction, just a bunch of non-conected rants with lame punchlines.

The storytellers do the best. If you can manage to keep everything somehow tied together,

or part of the flow, they seem to do the best.

This past Monday this Jewish dood (who was called to go up), came in late, in a suit, sweating

profusely(coke) and smoked through 10 minutes of material in barely 3 minutes. He then

grabbed his jacket and stormed out the door, just like he came in. It was so strange that

it was pretty funny.

try it out br0?

tonight was my second time, same venue

told a joke, followed by a related story... definitely got some laughs, but i think i would be better understood at a place that is not full of vegan tpwfs, feminist types, & middle-aged bluegrass enthusiasts; my joke about burn victims & satan did not go over as well as i had thought

next time