So I just saw some dude walking a bad ass Dalmatian....

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this made 2 pages, I'm pulling out the old name to comment here. Most of this is misinformation, I heards, people who don't know what they're talking about, and people whose family did it wrong. I've had 2 Dals over the past 16 years, and these dogs are fucking awesome (as well as total girl magnets).

They are smart as all hell, and very easy to train. They have great temperaments, I referred to my 1st as the distinguished gentleman as he was cool with puppies, small dogs, children, etc. Much of the problems associated with the breed is due to inbreeding and people not doing their homework, although as with all animals, some are just jerks:

205.jpg

The dog was essentially bred to run, and needs a hell of a lot of exercise. Without the exercise, they will appear irritable, misbehaved, or hyper, but really they just need to blow off steam. Some are born with deafness, you should make sure they were tested before you get a pup. Some lack the enzyme to break down proteins and are thus prone to kidney or bladder stones. However, this can be easily corrected with medication or diet. Much of the bad press on Dalmatians comes from people who rushed to get one after the movies without doing the necessary research to own one. If you take care of your Dal, it will look and act young years beyond other dogs.

You will never wear black the same again if you own one. They are short haired and shed easily. Their coat is almost self-cleaning and needs little maintenance beyond brushing. Mine could go running, get dirty, and be clean by the time we got home. The hair are unique, they have barbs in the ends that make them stick into everything. There are only a handful of fabrics that the hairs won't cling to, so you're bound to get them on clothes, upholstery, etc.

They're born mainly without the spots, which come in through the fur as the puppy matures. Too few spots, or too many clumped together into big patches is no good in terms of what a judge would look for.

Think someone said they're working dogs, but actually I think they fall under the nonsporting dogs category. They used to run along the coaches of royalty. Later, they would run along the horse drawn fire trucks, which is how they got associated with firefighters. The first time my first Dal saw horses, he naturally fell in line with them, kind of funny at the time.

Anyhow, that's one to grow on, and knowing is half the battle.......

let me reiterate:

DALMATIONS ARE STUPID AS FUCK.

my neighbors growing up had one, that dog was as dumb as a rock. fucking barked ALL the time, didn't listen to its owner(s), and was generally wack as fuck...

meanwhile, my Aussie was babysitting me and my friends in front of the house, chasing coyotes out of the yard when they tried to get our rabbits, and listening to an array of commands...

He'd go out on the boat with us for 24+ hours at a time and not shit or piss once while aboard... he'd swim ashore with us on the channel islands and go then.

he'd scare the piss out of anyone that tried to come in the house uninvited. he would never bite, but that's because they didn't make it past the door out of fear.

both border collies and aussies are great dogs, but i think aussies tend to have more charisma in general. border collies can be a bit introverted i've noticed.