Occupy Wall Street

ILOTSMYBRAIN

Official Statement from Occupy Wall Street - this statement was voted on and approved by the general assembly of protesters at Liberty Square: Declaration of the Occupation of New York City

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!

*These grievances are not all-inclusive.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://digg.com/news/world_news/jp_morgan_chase_donates_4_6_million_to_nypd_to_deter_occupywallstreet

JP Morgan Chase Donates $4.6 Million to NYPD to Deter #occupywallstreet

stopforeclosurefraud.com — Timing is everything: JPMorgan Chase just donated $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center. 1 day 7 hr ago

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm

i think about 5-10% of these people in these occupy movements, 'get it.'

the vast majority are ideologically on the spectrum from soft social democrats to hard marxists to anarcho-communists.

there basic argument is that corporations control the government and its regulations, so we need the government to control the corporations. its circular. its impossible. the problem is GOVERNMENT. absent government, no corporation has any advantage or coercive power over anyone else.

look at the new list of demands:

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-for-occupy-wall-st-moveme/

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

cmon, that might as well be the manifesto of the USA communist revolution.

americans used to protest to keep government out of their lives. now they protest to use force against other americans to impose their will on them. they demand more from government, not to be left alone.

if the people who claim this is a noble movement and is the beginning of the 'revolution...'

everyone should be agreed on negatives... such as ending the war, stopping the bail outs, stopping assassination of US citizens, dismantling the FED. all the other stuff about massive class warfare, redistribution of wealth, having the government pay off your student loans that you were stupid enough to take on in the first place... keep all that to yourself.

the protesters need to stop being like these protesters:

and start being like this protester:

until you realize what the problem is... 'occupying' isnt going to fix anything.

its sort of like if someone on the right is against welfare, they dont go occupy and protest at welfare offices, they protest against the government for stealing their money to give away in their name.

look to the source, strike the root.

/\/\ you are falling into your role exquisitely. let the controlled squabble amongst themselves and the mighty won't have to do a thing except continue to take so you can keep fighting for crumbs.

the working class needs to stop squabbling and aim their frustrations at the top.

i don't agree with all the demands being made, but i agree with the sentiment of bringing this system down.

that is an on-point video AOD, i wish i could speak loud and calm like that. i get so frustrated and due to my scullery and military background every third word is fuck, shit, or fucking... i should take a public speaking class.

i think about 5-10% of these people in these occupy movements, 'get it.'

the vast majority are ideologically on the spectrum from soft social democrats to hard marxists to anarcho-communists.

there basic argument is that corporations control the government and its regulations, so we need the government to control the corporations. its circular. its impossible. the problem is GOVERNMENT. absent government, no corporation has any advantage or coercive power over anyone else.

look at the new list of demands:

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-for-occupy-wall-st-moveme/

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

cmon, that might as well be the manifesto of the USA communist revolution.

americans used to protest to keep government out of their lives. now they protest to use force against other americans to impose their will on them. they demand more from government, not to be left alone.

if the people who claim this is a noble movement and is the beginning of the 'revolution...'

everyone should be agreed on negatives... such as ending the war, stopping the bail outs, stopping assassination of US citizens, dismantling the FED. all the other stuff about massive class warfare, redistribution of wealth, having the government pay off your student loans that you were stupid enough to take on in the first place... keep all that to yourself.

the protesters need to stop being like these protesters:

and start being like this protester:

until you realize what the problem is... 'occupying' isnt going to fix anything.

its sort of like if someone on the right is against welfare, they dont go occupy and protest at welfare offices, they protest against the government for stealing their money to give away in their name.

look to the source, strike the root.

aod I hate for it to seem like i'm on your dick, but whatever... you are the most on point person in this forum.

Zig that is because you and aod share a lot of the same views, I admit I like to discuss things with aod but I don't think he is on point, just a matter of opinion really.

I support the people getting together to get their voices heard, business and government are so intertwined that it is hard to seperate the 2. personally I think that if you run for government you should not be allowed any ties with business and similarly business should not be allowed to give money to political campaigns, there is too much self interrest at the moment with business and government.

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the more radical people on this forum and that list of demands is...well, some of them I agree with, some I don't, and there's a few I'd LIKE to see happen but they're completely unrealistic.

For starters, what I'd like to see is an end to corporate personhood and an audit of the Federal Reserve. Those could happen tomorrow. Maybe reasonably priced health insurance, or a subsidy to cover insurance for working families that can't afford it.

exactly. (directed at shai's post)

a list of demands like that is reflective of the legal system we have in the government (that doesn't work and is what we're complaining about). its all watered down and spread thin, 4 or 5 points/demands that don't contradict eachother.

calling for trillions pledged to anything while asking for your money to be worth something? come on.

open borders? get the fuck out, thats just moronic and cheapens the whole list by throwing it on there.

anyways, i'll be participating in my local occupy parade this weekend.

i've been burned out politically for a long time and all i really feel anymore is frustration and the desire to just leave this bullshit, it seems impossible to turn the tides without a very violent revolution, i hope i'm wrong, but for now this is the first 'cause' in a long time that i am actually inspired by and motivated to be a part of.

• Like 2

Those demands in that list are insane.

A few would probably have a detrimental effect on America - opposite to what the author intended no doubt. But it just goes to demonstrate the lack of real understanding these people have of politics, economics, society, human psychology, etc and their complex interdependence.

I'm all for progress and moving towards a better society. Protest and grass roots people power is a great way to this end, but this whole occupy movement seems to be lacking in understanding the issues.

More could be achieved through free labour markets, greater government support for innovation. Etc

@ crooked...cause well im too lazy to quote..and copypasting links is a pain on my phone

Source: Adbusters

Hey jammers, dreamers, patriots,

Anonymous has just released a video communique endorsing

#OCCUPYWALLSTREET. Using language from our first Tactical

Briefing, the video calls on protestors to adopt the nonviolent

Tahrir-acampadas model. On the 17th of September, it says,

"flood into lower Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful

barricades and occupy Wall Street for a few months … Once

there, we shall incessantly repeat one simple demand in a

plurality of voices."

See also signs of support for S17 on Anonymous's Twitter and

websites.

Meanwhile S17 is surging ahead internationally. Simultaneous

occupations of financial districts are now being planned in New

York City, Madrid, Milan, London, Paris and San Francisco. With

a bit of luck, this list of participating cities will grow.

If we can pull together just the right mix of nonviolence,

tenacity and strategic smarts, S17 could be the beginning of the

global revolution we've all been dreaming about for so long …

wouldn't that be lovely.

.................................................................................

• Like 1

Zig....Lol on what basis can you agree with 11?

What happens when debt builds up again in a century....we start all over again?

Do you understand the function of money? It's merely a medium for exchange. Debt will exist in society regardless.

I don't like any of them.

These guys are crying for "freedom" but none of those things lead to any kind of freedom what so ever.

Perhaps the racial and gender amendment, but how would this even work or be applicable in law?

Individuals have to over come those bias's on their own, a government mandate would just back up court systems and create even more gridlock.

You know what's sad is that this is really taking media attention away from actual protests by REAL Progressives that have their shit together. Protests in washington that have garnered the respect of great people like Van Jones.

The people that believed in Obama and got him elected really took a fucking snooze as soon as he was elected. They figured their work was done and let the motherfucking Tea Party take leaps and bounds in the political arena. Whats sad is that the Tea Party garnered so much power through the use of tools the Progressives used first: Twitter, for instance. In fact, they used it better than we did.

I really want to support Occupy Wallstreet but frankly they're a bunch of fucking whiners with a long list of complaints, who can't decide if they're Progressives or fucking Anarchists. The world is watching and waiting for them to get their shit together and the only thing they have to say is WE'RE not being very nice to them. Come the fuck on.

occupyWallstreet's WHOLE platform seems to be "We don't need a platform. We're just mad."

Meanwhile yesterday they tried to go protest the Fed. The fucking fed! If you're one of those crazy tinfoil Zeitgeist movie watchers who think their dreams will be raped by shapeshifting reptilian freemasons, then you hate the central bank. The people who actually pay attention to the economy know that the Fed did an amazing thing for the US by buying a crapload of toxic assets—something that totally went against the business model they had in the great depression. It kept us out of a second great depression and yet people still think the Fed is part of this great big "Bank Cartel." Then they accused Goldman Sachs of concealing Greece's debt from investors and are currently heading a criminal investigation into the matter.

My point is OccupyWallstreet is very simply the blind leading the dumb.