Travelling/Hitchhiking/essentially being a piece of shit

forsit

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You two can spoon each other for warmth while you are freezing to death in your Coogi hoodie while being stalked by a hungry Missoula.

*edit - Just to clear this up, how black are you?

Half.

And Nurk, that's what my friend was telling me. Sometimes 4 hours, sometimes, 2 minutes. I'm impatient as fuck so we'll see how this goes IF I even choose to do it.

worst case scenario, your friend ditches you and you get raped and eaten... after being deep freezed for a week. n/h

But a much more likely bad scenario is, you'll figure out you're the kind of guy who geniunely is bothered by being cold and sleepless and fork out for a bus. So personally, I'd say do it. Just read up and plan carefully.

I have an opportunity to travel with a friend via train and hitch hiking to Missoula, then to Memphis for a wedding, then to New Orleans to party or whatever there is to do there. I'd be gone from about the 2nd of October to around Christmas. Anyone done this kind of shit?

Except for the being "a piece of shit" part, tons.

Check out the hobo thread for travel advice. I'd love to say it's all just common sense, but the details that can make or break your trip are many and varied and hard to learn except through experience or talking to someone who's been there. And right now I'm not that person.

Well, okay. Here's a couple-

-Carry a knife that you can easily ditch (legal blade length varies from state to state). You probably won't need it for self defense but it will come in handy.

- If you're shopping for sleeping bags, error on the side of too warm (lower degree rating). It's the only added bulk you won't regret carrying. And your ground pad only has to be from head to knees, full length is only practical if you're going camping. And a tarp, preferably dark...you can use this to cover your pack if you end up on a train somehow.

- If you plan to carry electronics (laptop, camera, smartphone) get padded cases for everything or figure out a way to improvise this. Things will shift in your pack and you don't want to drop your pack when your camera is floating around on the very bottom.

- Go with the smallest pack possible. I've found that mountaineering bags are good for traveling...Lowe, Berghaus and Gregory are all good brands. Bright colors are good if you're hitchhiking, kind of shitty if you're hopping trains.

- A stove isn't necessary but some people like to carry them (I have and haven't). Primus stoves are cheap and bulletproof, but shaped weird and the gas is bulky. If you're planning to be off the beaten track it's a good thing to have.

- Since you will be sweating, get used to carrying a gallon water jug with you. Any plastic milk jug with a screw top will work fine and can be hung from your pack with a carabiner. Plus it makes you look legit.

- It might be a good idea to travel with someone if you're headed to the South. People there are generally friendly but you never know.

- Hopping trains is not a solo venture for rookies. If you plan to take this route definitely ride with someone who knows their shit.

- Clothing is tricky, but here's what works for me- I recommend Carhartts, Under Armour and wool base layers for the top. Rain shell made from HyVent, NOT Gore-Tex (takes forever to dry). Hiking shoes appropriate for the climate with Smartwool socks. Everything you wear will get fucked up, so if you're someone who expects to look crisp and clean at all times, sorry. Another thing is that you can get clothes easily enough on the road...I've set out with one pair of pants, two shirts, plus basic under/outerwear and done just fine.

That's a good start.

• Like 3

you need to think of some more creative insults besides faggot. You little dunkin donuts cafe au lait semi spook. :lol:

If you're traveling with another br0, you can expect to wait longer hitch hiking. Actually most of the time people driving are more concerned about you raping and eating them than you probably are of being raped and eaten yourself n/h.

Like I said if you're ok with giving up some creature comforts for an experience then go for it. You will spend a bit of cash though, but obviously you can still do things really cheap.

In Australia, I seriously never waited more than 10 minutes before someone stopped to give me a lift.

In some other, more suspicious parts of the world I have waited about 3 hours..and then after I got in the car immediately asked if I was a spy...it was still a good journey though.

Paul%20Hogan%20as%20Crocodile%20Dundee.jpg

so how long were you gone on your walkabout?

if your hitch hiking in certain states they won't let you fly signs or will harass you for trying to hitch a ride out of truck stops and what not so look up the laws in the states your trying to travel through. also keeping a semi clean look won't hurt. but if your to clean it might make some people worry.

^ This (shai's) is all good advice. Basically plan as if you're going camping but be as lightweight as possible.

The sleeping bag tip I think is crucial. If you're going to sleep outside when you do this particular trip (travelling in winter) splash some cash and buy a good minus zero sleeping bag.

I don't really agree with the knife thing to be honest. I do carry a small (I think 3 1/2 inch?) pocket knife, but it's more for open beer/wine bottles and cutting fruit .I've never come remotely close to having to use it for self defence. I've met a few people who carry pepper spray. Aside from the girly factor if we're being serious I think it's a better option.

With the electronics, the few things I carried were in padded bags. My camera's in a padded case and so is my mp3 player. If your back pack isn't water proof wrap them in a plastic bags also. Pretty common sense.

I usually get rides not by sticking my thumb out by the side of the road but by asking people nicely at gas stations and rest stops...and I'm not exactly Mr. Clean on the road (or off). I've found that being polite, personable and at least semi-interesting will get you much further than a shower will.

^ you sure are one co-signing motherfucker, every one of your posts is a regurgitation of what someone else has already said. I'm fairly sure your either COS or COS's long lost just as retarded cousin.

:lol: I agreed with two things two people wrote? Get out of here you spaz.

he said this because you're black.

if someone offers to 'give you a tow' they are probably not your friend.

"A tow? But I don't even have a car here with me or anythi--- JESUS CHRIST!"

Forsit, I dunno if anyone has recommended checking out Kabar's posts/threads in the some of the other sections (then again I'm sure someone has) but definitely do that. Dude was a fountain of knowledge on stuff like this.

he said this because you're black.

I didn't know he was black, nor would I have cared if I did know. It's the 21st century, and dipshits are easy to spot if you know what the Dixie Flag means.

WIth that said, the South is one of those places where people seem to burn hot and cold. They can be extremely gracious and hospitable or they can be sociopaths. Sometimes it can be the same person depending on what time of day it is and what they've been ingesting (there's not much to do up in them hollers).

I've also noticed this phenomenon in the boonies of Oregon and parts of Northern CA for the same reasons. Isolation blues.

Traveling solo is fun but with his itinerary he would probably have more fun if he went with someone who's done a few trips like this.

Shit, I forgot a really important tip-

Keep toothpaste, lotion or sunblock in seperate sturdy plastic bags then put them into some kind of hard case (they sell these at Walgreens). This is key...speaking from personal experience, you do not want to be trying to wash shaving cream out of your only nice shirt before you're about to hit the bars.