Been SKWEEELING....

The Responda

There's a subgenre of electronic music I only recently became aware of, though it's been around since about 2006ish, and it's called skweee... It's origins are in Sweden & Finland, though people are now doing their own takes on it throughout the rest of Scandinavia, Europe, and the U.S. Might be described as a funky electro/hip-hop hybrid, typically without vocals. Kind of hard to pin down in words, and can vary pretty greatly stylistically. As a fan of modern tunes feeling bored with most hip-hop, techno, and the over-rated dubstep, skweee kind of feeds on my love of 80s electrofunk a la midnight starr, etc, but with a super contemporary feel.

I'm diggin it to say the least. Here's some good introductory selections:

Daniel Savio, supposed founder

Mesak

Melkeveien vs Nino remixed by Slugabed

Fulgeance

Randy Barracuda

Boss Kite

lack of skweee on youtube really, had to do lots of blog searching/downloading to get into it.

enjoy, should it appeal to you

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds good. Scandinavians typically get it right when it comes to music (Abba being the huge exception).

Are you familiar with chiptunes? I have something like 30,000 of those...there's a lot of filler but the funk is there if you're willing to dig for it.

hmmm no shai, haven't heard of chiptunes but i'll be give some of it a listen later.... this skweee stuff is similar as far as there being a bit of filler, but the funky shit can hit quite hard (without ever seeming to take itself too seriously, which i like about it).

That track by the french Fulgeance that I posted up there is sounding awesome to me, been a couple weeks... At least after the 30 seconds of weirdness.

nice tunes viper. v.c. is doin it nicely, this was the tune of his i heard on some compilation, came on again last night while freshly baked. i bugged out heavily. still sounding good today, but definitely one of those particularly dank-activated tunes.

and skweee doesn't seem like it should be at all labeled as rave music. just scandinavians drinking heavily and gettin funky.

this shit's existence makes perfect sense to me. like i said i find hip hop cheesy and tired for the most part, techno/dubstep/"rave music" has always been too mechanical for me, and as much as i love old funk/electrofunk, modern shit does have a certain appeal. So here's some loose, funky, freaky, electronic shit, often with the bounce and slump of hip hop, and i'm quite down with a lot of it.