Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Plans now are to finish drinking all of this beer (ended up being just over a beer a day for a year) in short time, and then heading to one of several places.

1. New Mexico to pick up half my stuff which I left coming to WY - then to:

2. Alaska - > Fairbanks

3. California again - SF to stay for a month or two (Karl Hungus getcherass Ready!)

4. Tennessee - > Philadelphia to see the East Coast & meet up with a fun lady

5. Tennessee - > Florida to raft to the Bahamas/Cuba

Any suggestions?

Wait, you're going to RAFT to the Bahamas or Cuba? That can't be a good idea, can it?

There's a reason it's last on the list.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Americans_in_Cuba

Drive to Florida then get on a plane. It can't be that expensive.

Yes, it's a good point, but it's not really the point. It wouldn't have been that expensive to fly from Tennessee to Seattle, and then down to SF. It's a hell of a lot more fun to get somewhere, anywhere if it's by your own means. At least for me.

5e3286d9.jpg

Currently the state of my affairs is thus: Renting a room in a house for 300 a month, for one month, while I finish up these little painting gigs. I believe I will come out with around 2,500 dollars for these two jobs, which will be basically the most money i've ever had. So I don't know where I'm going from here. I just met this girl from Maine a week ago. She's driving to Cali to go to school and dig the scene there. Etc. Etc. Spent a few nights together. Met her at a square dance. Etc. Etc. Thinking about going to Cali again to meet up with her. She's in oregon now, wants me to come visit/stay when she gets to SF. Mind going loco... She's fucking beautiful though.

e09a8839.jpg

55eb6d8a.jpg

9ab6dd54.jpg

Anyway...I'm getting super anxious to get back on the road. I've been in Jackson for almost a month now. My ex lives here and she's dating someone else, however we're still best friends so it's pretty strange.

The town is amazing, but it's super touristy in parts. I'm living in the super rustic part, but it's still kind of bad. I miss being on the road and not knowing where the fuck I am or was or will be or why or when or how... It's strangely addicting.

Yes, it's a good point, but it's not really the point. It wouldn't have been that expensive to fly from Tennessee to Seattle, and then down to SF. It's a hell of a lot more fun to get somewhere, anywhere if it's by your own means. At least for me.

I know what you mean. Just thought the risk of dying while rafting across an ocean was significantly greater in comparison to driving from Tennessee to Seattle. It would be real cool if you could pull it off.

Came upon this on google

http://yachtpals.com/junk-raft-3041

junkraft_0.jpg

If you're planning something like this, maybe even a little smaller, I think you'd have a good chance.

i think his game is already stepped up beyond anything i'll pull off before i'm in my 60s and have fully gone crazy.

if you had a real boat it doesn't seem like it would be too tough.

what happens when a cuban gets a flat tire?

they drown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YES!!! Finally about to be back on the road after two months of inert activity and the absurd practice of acquiring finances. On Sunday morning I leave for Santa Fe - via Colorado - possibly meet up with some 12oz'ers and do rap spray - before heading west again to San Francisco - Oakland area!

9bafd2e8.jpg

Not much has happened in the past two months except a lot of silly painting gigs and lots and lots of hiking and shooting guns in the park. Jumping off cliffs into lakes and drinking excessive amounts of craft beer. I had been visiting here like a dog trying to rekindle some romance between my ex and me, but upon arrival found she'd been dating some relatively douche-baggish cornswallower, so it took me a while to realize that it was fine... So anyways I met this girl, etc etc, now I'm headed down to the Bay area AGAIN! But this time I plan on meeting up with a bunch of you goofballs while I'm there. Karl Hungus was a great guide and host last time I was there....

99013728.jpg

Dumpster diving in rich towns is orgasmic...

8bb62918.jpg

Painted this for the people I was living with for some hookup on rent - - -

Painting on scaffolding - all the beer you can drink - shift meals at a fancy restaurant - and gettin paid too?! Cmon son! This was so much fun to paint...

53d0b2f7.jpg

I'd never seen one up close before, so I checked it out. Broke its neck when it got hit. It was most likely within the past 24 hours - but the heat had spoiled most of the meat and I had little time to quarter it and take some home so I figured the best thing to do would be to cut off the head and save it for later.

d5658616.jpg

46c264e6.jpg

acfe3298.jpg

It doesn't take much, only a sharp knife and a few strong cuts all around the skin. Then twist the head with the antlers as grips and you don't have to cut through the vertebrae.

db66ec67.jpg

6fa21675.jpg

46ca8761.jpg

Came off pretty easy!

11267d92.jpg

The only difficult part was trying not to get blood all over the camera..

baba9c09.jpg

Bang! Aint she a beaut?!

2bfb42f3.jpg

Then to strap that shit on top of the whip and get the fuck out of there... I wasn't sure if it was illegal or not - Tennessee it's fair game if it's dead - but some states don't have that. As I drove off scot-free I suddenly realized I left the knife back at the body and had to turn around. I pulled up to the body and got out, located the knife and glove, both of which covered in blood, and began walking back to the car - when very suddenly a sherriff pulled up behind my car. The scene is such: A decapitated antelope, a man standing on the side of the road with a bloody 5" buck knife, a station wagon with a severed antelope head roped to the roof, and a sherriff standing outside of his truck with his hand on his gun, all the while a semi-steady stream of traffic on an old Wyoming state road at high noon.

• Like 1

8e533754.jpg

We stare at each other for what seemed like an hour before he said, "Son, would you mind putting that knife down and coming over to the car..."

I did so, and he asked me with a curious look, "Can you tell me just what in the hell you think you're doing?"

"Well, sir, I saw this antelope on the side of the road and I thought it'd be a nice skull so I pulled over and cut it off."

"I see you're not from this state by your license plate...Did you know it was very illegal, what you did there? That is a trophy animal, and you are required to have a permit to transport any part of a trophy animal in the state of Wyoming."

"Oh no, sir, I just figured cause it was dead and all it didn't matter - it's not like I hit it or anything. I was just tryin to not let it go to waste..."

"Alright, let's see your license and registration " I hand him my carry permit, license, and the paperwork - " So you're carrying today?" "Yes sir, under the seat" "That's fine - I'm going to my car so hold tight for me - I'm going to call the Game Warden and see what he wants to do with you"

I had a very difficult time not exploding in laughter for the entire 20 minutes he was on the phone in his truck behind me. I didn't care if he fined me ten thousand dollars, the whole scene was so ridiculous - that I would be in trouble for reconfiguring something that was lifeless was beyond me - it seemed so absurd! Hell, fifty years ago in that part of wyoming it'd be the sherriff himself cutting off the head - but the times have changed to a much more nannyish state than ever before and now you can't just cut up whatever you want even if it's already dead.

"Okay, son, here's the deal. We received about thirteen calls in as many minutes you were out here - five to the sheriff, four to fish and wildlife, three to WYDOT, and one to the Game Warden. I just got off the phone with him and here's what he wants to do: You follow me to his house, about ten miles away, he'll write you a warning, and if you'd like to keep the head you can pay $8 for an out of state game transport license. How's that sound to you?"

Nee

• Like 1