Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

In March I was in Jackson Hole visiting some friends doing a mural and getting nasty amounts of free lift tickets.

I learned that my uncle in Fort Smith, MT had a stroke and was unable to speak. Considering he was already

wheelchair bound and his wife does everything for him I figured that they could use some help. So I headed

up through the pass and camped out a couple nights along the way. It was fantastic...

6573ed37.jpg

Found a little outhouse on a dirt road and set up for the night..

551e7771.jpg

c93f410a.jpg

5347909c.jpg

9d042951.jpg

Checked out the local wildlife... ( In Ft. Smith there was a freezer of deer waiting for me so I did not take the shot - sorry to tease -it would have been wasteful )

Listened to 'Tis by Frank McCloud on the boombox on cassette...

e4867df8.jpg

Made up a little dinner and smoked a joint to the stars...

dff652aa.jpg

I'm back in Jackson now, but I will be updating some more tomorrow.. Just for shits and giggles I'll show you where I pitched my tent today...hope all goes well.

It's to the right of the marker, in between one of the bends of that river. Got camo and everything !

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x0:0x0&q=43.475248,-110.772374&t=h&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=Yb6QT_OGCIWWyQX5iuH9DQ&dtab=2

In the morning, we set off for the hot springs, which were about another 5 miles away. The hike was not as bad as coming in, but it was a lot of down hill. Still pretty nasty. We made it to the hot springs at a little before 9 am and she decided she's stay there for a while. She'd walked some thirty or forty miles in two days before I'd picked her up and her ankles were looking pretty rough. I lost interest in the Violin Maker because I forgot that I had told this guy Nerf that I'd be in Santa Barbara to paint that day. Whoops. Anyway they were sulfer springs - very pungent, and the hike to them was spotted with beautiful juniper trees and old growth pine, all along a mild and super clear river, about two miles from camp.

1411f14a.jpg

The springs jutted out from the mountain in little pods of water and we got nekkid without asking questions. I thought we might try to put the moves on each other or even plant tulips but it just wasn't the scene. She was nice, but I knew I was leaving that day so it kind of put a damper on the fire. For the first time I saw that she was cut up all over - scars lined her arm like a plaid sweater. Big gash down the soft part of her wrist. Then bible quotes tattooed on her shoulders and upper arms. She said she believed in Harry Potter and that the mountain talked to her at night. I did get one quick picture of her butt, which was pretty fun.

85108b2a.jpg

!

Can I get a name on this chick? Like just the first name? Pretty sure I messed around with her five years ago...

You know when you're on the plane, or mass transit of some sort, and you see a girl who if you saw her on the internet or a situation with a large amount of people she would only be moderately okay looking.

But in the context of that plane, or that subway train, she's pretty hot.

I imagine that while you're driving down the freeway by yourself, and you see a girl, it's like that X infinity.

I work in an oil refinery and am generally surrounded by men while I'm on shift.

When we do see the women around the work place it definitely appreciates their looks.

We call this "contractor pretty" :lol:

Anyway - finally made it to Montana for the 2nd time.... Went out hunting with my old Crow Indian friend Leland Walking Bear. He got the pheasant and I got the rabbit. It was swarming with fleas. I took a shot at another pheasant and missed. We were on our way out to my great uncle's cabin in the highlands to break his horses. He had a shotgun he bought for $20 at a pawn shop and ate most of whatever was at the other end of it. It was a bolt action without a clip. He gave me two shotgun shells to chase after the second pheasant and told me "the first one's for the pheasant - the second one's for you, if you miss."

c663d77e.jpg

Well - I missed the second pheasant but got a rabbit.

I soaked the rabbit in a bucket of warm water with a couple drops of soap to kill all the fleas. They floated to the top like old hens in a storm.

61fc4a26.jpge5fc535d.jpg

5584f23a.jpg

I only skinned a rabbit once before and it wasn't a whitetail but it seemed the same as a deer or squirrel. I pinched the stomach near the groin and made incision then cut up through the ribcage making sure to only cut the skin and not the organs less you desire such a strange feast

eee44754.jpg

4e7e2c60.jpg