Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

FUCKING THIS:

"This is the whole reason though. I don't have any money to buy a plane ticket out there. And doing things without money is almost always more fun. Imagine - with some flares and a harpoon for sharks!! And a kite, and a book, maybe a sail. But I don't know hwo to sail. So maybe just a couple of oars or a paddle. And a compass. I bet I could do it in a day, but it would be way better to do it over at night at sea."

-KIR

GREETINGS!!! 2012 is upon us now. Might need to change the thread title. I am writing from Brookings, a small town on the border of Southern Oregon. About to head down to California today and see the redwoods. I wish I would have stayed longer in Portland. I didn't even realize I was in it until I was out of it. On Tuesday I arrived back in Seattle to Dorothy (my wagon) and on Wednesday night I had the privilidge to see Wu Tang live, one of many life goals. Thursday morning I left and stayed somewhere between Seattle and Portland. I got stuck in the mud in the night trying to turn around in a field, and figured - hell, this is agood enough explanation if anyone fucks with me. So I unpacked the car, threw my shit on the roof, and enjoyed the stars marching across the sky all night.

ae557294.jpg

In the morning I had to get her out. What a frustration to have a 2wd subaru, let me tell you. I eventually had to jack up both front wheels and shove a bunch of shit under there, while rocking the car, with the foot on the pedal and one on the dirt. I have found that when you have a problem, the best way to handle it is: two lazy tries, then if they don't work, go all out with no room for error. So the jacking was the last effort. It took two hours to rock her out but it was done and the day was new again...

5ac8e50e.jpg

406df719.jpg

Sorry for the lack of introspection. Quick post today. Back on the road. Feels great. Heading to California. Getting warmer by the mile!

Finally got to the Coast!!! THE 101!

a52262cb.jpg

Stop for a quick bite to eat

37ab1df4.jpg

daae6d24.jpg

^Saturday Night on the Pacific Coast

618b3c86.jpg

Last night - six cop cars, a deputy, and two narrowly avoided felonies. More on that later. California here I come...

• Like 2

I had the privilidge to see Wu Tang live, one of many life goals.

WTF? that does not seem like it would be a "life goal" of a person who lives life like you do...

i mean you say some shit like that then a few photos down you got a steak grinder minus the cheese, bread and grill! raw meating down the 101 haha

and i told you pages back, traveling with them guns is going to get you jammed up! you lucked out man...

I am about 5 hours from Oakland / SF Bay area. PM ME for my number and hit me up if you are around!!! Going to sleep in the park tonight. Stopped at a little shop to hollar at yall. More than this tomorrow, Yeah also I had some trouble with the pistol in Oregon. ALMOST got my car searched and what would have been several felonies. Smooth talked. Lucky. ANyway now it's all safe and sound. Fished in the Elk river today and took a nap on the beach. California... I love you.

Also making plans for a trip to Tijuana or down the Baja peninsula.

This is just wrote real fast right after it happend so it needs some tidying up but yeah..

This conversation is being recorded. This is a no parking area is why I have stopped you.

Oh, I’m sorry. I did not see a sign.

It’s right there (flashlight to a single P/ sign in the distance) Can I get your licence and registration and proof of insurance please

Yes, here’s my license and my registration. I’m not sure where my insurance proof is, all I have is the one from last term.

Ok, …………(shines flashlight in and around interior) DO you have any weapons besides that knife in the vehicle?

Oh, well, yes, I have a pistol, which I have a concealed carry permit for and am licensed to carry, though I lost my permit along with some other papers and the duplicate is in the mail.

Ok, go ahead and step out of the car for me please. (I stand up and move over to the front of the car) Now put your hands on your head for me, just so that I can check you for weapons, please.

Sure. (Pats me down)

The pistol is located under the seat? – Yes, just right in . Yes, right at the front there. ( I become stupidly aware that two jars are also underneath the seat just behind the pistol containing an ounce of ________ in one, and in the other an eighth of ________, several ______, and about ten ________ –) Also in the back are the two rifles which I can't remember if tehy are loaded or not.

As he reaches around for the pistol and shines his light under the seat, I become also aware that I have to go to the bathroom immediately. Stress induced IBS. He takes an unusually long time pulling out the pistol. I had just then, right after parking, unloaded the magazine and the bullet in the chamber. I had not done so the entire trip until that point. This was one of the saving graces I believe. I am now going to jail tonight. I will become a felon. Another police car pulls beside the first. Then another. Then another. Then the deputy.

So, do you have anything else illegal in the vehicle?

No, sir.

Anything at all? No marijuana? No methamphetamines?

No sir, nothing illegal.

OK well you don’t mind if I check out the area around your seat, just so that I can be safe, in case there’s anything that would harm one of us while you are sitting there, do you?

Well, yes, I do.

Why? What do you have to hide?

I don’t have anything to hide. I just don’t want you going through my things, that’s all. If it is about your safety, then I’ll just stay outside the car until you’re done.

So is it the marijuana underneath the seat?

I don’t have anything illegal in the car. I just have everything all packed up and I don’t want to get it all out of order, that’s all.

Well, I wouldn’t go through all your stuff, none of the things in the back. I just want to make sure the places within your reach don’t have anything dangerous to us in them.

Sorry, but I have always been told that if you have the option to consent, then to say No. That’s all. Like I said, I will stay outside the car until you are done.

“OK then….”

“Where’s your proof of insurance?”

“In the Glove box, I believe, I can go –“

“You’re not getting back into the car. At all.”

“Oh, ok…well I think it’s in the glove box. “

More later

He goes through the glove box, luckily tossing my papers and napkins on the barely concealed open beer bottle. He pulls out the loaded magazine for the pistol and a single cartridge and places it on the roof, then closes the door. I am trying not to shit my pants, literally.. I lean over and let out some air pressure. The cop making small talk with me is motioned over by the original officer. They go back to the dark cloud of silence a couple yards away. I am absolutely stricken with panic, but I know that the only, only way out of this, if there is one, is to be calm. It’s 40 degrees and I’m in a t-shirt so my acute attack of Parkinson’s Disease is slightly explainable. I wonder if they’ll take me to jail right then, or let me go and I will have to return later to court. No, the - will make it a felony, which requires them to take me to jail. How much will bail be? I think I’ve got a clean slate. I have been arrested about thirteen times, but they’ve all been expunged. Or have they? I rack the thousand possibilities of how I will end the night. Now an SUV pulls up. A red light flashes blinks into existence to reveal two figures inside. They open the back door and mull about. Is it a K-9? If it is, I’m fucked. I am definitely, assuredly, without a doubt, going to jail tonight. The job for tomorrow is dust, Mexico is gone forever. For the rest of my life. Other countries don’t allow felons in. They’ll tow my car. I’ll stay in jail for the next couple of weeks until I can bail myself out. I’ll have to explain all this to my family. How amateur.

It wasn’t the dog. I was relieved. It was the Sheriff. Probably worse. He broke from the pack and brought a couple of cronies with him. None of them spoke when he was present. “So, why don’t you tell me what’s going on here? I know something’s up. If you tell me now, before I find out on my own, I can work with you. Otherwise, it won’t be good.” I had now begun to convince myself that there was actually nothing wrong. That I was beginning to be slightly annoyed that I was still standing out here and had nothing to hide. “Well, I’m from Tennessee, I’ve been on a road trip for several months, and I was told this was a good place to park for the night. I honestly did not see the little sign over there and I don’t feel like I’ve done anything wrong. I’m just looking for a place to park and get some rest.” He didn’t seem to pay attention. As he was looking me up and down, then at the pistol, the mace, and the knife, he asked me about my ROTC shirt. “You ex-military?” “No sir, just trained with them in college. Hoping they’ll still take me after this trip I’m on, if I’m not too old by then” “No shit huh. Well… Good luck to you.” The other officers had gotten their call backs from the station house and had motioned for him to return to the huddle. After kicking around some dust and farting for about ten minutes, they seemed to have made up their minds. The original officer approached me at a strong gait and held out some paperwork. “Well, son, I’ve got some bad news,” and as he began I could see his eye shift from the paperwork to the driver’s seat, then, sternly, back at me. “Unfortunately you don’t have proof of insurance. In the state of Oregon that is a misdemeanor, and I could…” He paused, and looked deep into the chasm of my inner soul. For just a split second, time stood still, and we were awash upon the cosmic sea, and his spirit was stabbing my spirit with jagged metal shards, screaming Confess! Confess you little shit remnant! But my spirit was strong, and it held its ground. The battle ended, we abandoned the cosmic shores and returned to the parking lot of reality. He continued, “I could issue you a citation for it. But, since you’ve been patient with us, and I trust that you do have insurance, I’m going to let you go with a warning.” Every muscle in my body went limp, and in the split second before I lost footing, I regained control again and forced a casual, unexcited, “Oh, thanks officer.” He looked at me crossly, then pursed his lips in a manner that seemed to say, “I know you have something in there, you little shit. You win this round. Until next time.”

And so they left me there. And I drove across the street to a rest area and spent the night in a wierd state of thankfullness and unstable equilibrium.

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway

About two hours outside of SF and Oakland on the hwy 1. Shit is turly burtiful. Foreal...

Woke up to this in the morning and hiked down to the mouth of a small river off of the 101.

eee33fe1.jpg

Fished for a while and took a nap on the shore - when I was walking back I found these

582eb2ab.jpg

Stopped last night at a little pull off and listened to Stephen Hawking on audio tape while eating tuna and peas in my little spot of heaven..

df51f985.jpg

adf2f1f2.jpg

Go to sleep sweating and wake up freezing. But the view is incredible..

1d64ffe7.jpg

4f747a32.jpg

No, seeing Wu-Tang live was not a life goal, I have much more aspirations than that..haha

Stopped and had lunch at a cemetary overlooking the coast. The 101 - 1 has definately been th emost peaceful and enjoyable road I've ever driven.

00f767bc.jpg

f589200c.jpg

Heading into town to

*edit

^^No kidding, a brick would have been shat!!!!

I think a brick almost was shat...

I become also aware that I have to go to the bathroom immediately. Stress induced IBS.

Every muscle in my body went limp, and in the split second before I lost footing, I regained control again

Never heard it called footing before, but hey, glad you avoided that mess.