Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

so i think il take a greyhound to rva and hang out there till i find someone who knows more about riding freights then i do.

If you need to take a greyhound to RVA than I expect it shouldn't take long to find someone who knows more about freights then you do. /nohitchhikethread

regardless, good luck with your adventures.

ive been on the verge of up and leaving in the middle of school and work and everything and this thread just convinced me to do it.

i can only hope my adventures will be as grand as yours, thank you for this KIR.

dude... finish school.

ha probably true.

then dont even drop out because youre planning on doing this trip which will likely never happen, just keep your head in the books.

what sucks is, if you went to my school, you could get credit for a trip like this B)

i sew with dental floss and have like, 2 csx patches. i know all i already need to know about freights. kidding, of course.

put in the two weeks notice today, not worried about school because im in wooden boat building at the local community college, that grants payed for.

ive never ridden past 2 towns over, and those 2 yards just have one track going in and out, so i didnt really get any experience "navigating". I dont trust myself to get to rva alone on the trains before the first cold front.

im looking at the q line schedule right now for csx and apparently the only csx line that goes into rva is from russell ky, which comes from hamlet which comes from a neighboring city. if its supposed to stay above freezing for a while il try it.

waitin on that last paycheck though, so il be about it in 2 weeks :lol:

Fuck what a great day.

Acer that sounds dope, I did the same when I was in school, but I only took off 1 semester. Also edogg that's funny you mention that because I did get credit for a trip I took - documented it and took video, audio, and collected shit and painted things from the trip and after 2 weeks I came back and had a show at agallery. At any rate, I did graduate, so if I could impart any leeway on your game I would definately push to graduate.. but to each their own.

I wish I could get the pictures off my camera today - I am in a town outside Glacier National Park and they won't accept my camera cord or something. There's a mentally handicapped girl who came up the stairs to look around, and they're those stairs that don't have backs to them, you know, and she came back to go down, and she got stuck at the top, and now she refuses to go up or down. And there's these old geriatric ladies all tugging on her, and she keeps cracking up laughing and giggling, and then manically screaming NO!! NO!!! She's on the 2nd step down right now.

Having been to both, Picher > Centralia. I agree that the smoking highway is cool, but there's just so much more left in Picher.

And those weird piles in Picher are the mine waste piles. That's why the town is abandoned, the dust from those piles blows around & might have caused cancer in the residents (and also because chemicals leak into the ground & therefore the water supply).

Awesome thread. Keep it coming!

• Like 1

very interesting. keep up what you're doing! but how are you managing to afford all of this? unless you're a baller.

Afford what? By all appearances, he's really only spending money on gas.

this^ plus. did you NOT see this nigga eating squirrels n shit. the guy is like a modern day

viking of the land. true hessian. my hat remains off to this fool. for i will forever be envious

of his endeavors. kir for president(of the new world) 2013.

so this summer i took a trip to europe, my 4th time there, and told myself the next trip of mine will be exploring my own backyard so to speak. did the perimeter drive when i was younger, 6 weeks one minivan, 20 states. but next time i have the time/money, i want to get out and explore the good ol us of a.

props to KIR,

thats the only thing im really worried about. i plan on stopping in the first big city and wintering there, if i do decide to ride freights

If the weather holds I'd head west on the high line then maybe hitch to San Diego and wait it out there. Riding the low line is risky but doable as long as you're okay with possibly getting arrested by ICE.

Thanks to all the kind words.. I am in st Mary a small town outside glacier park about to head to my campsite about a mile from the cemetary out here. I took a drive up Going to the Sun road and I've never seen such a view of our country.. Too much for words. I'm told this road is where the shining was filmed on their way to the house upon the mountain. If so, they didn't do it justice..

Pheasant legs for dinner last night and breasts for breakfast, far more delicious than any bird I've tasted before. nothing for dinner tonight I suspect but there is a banquet of Oregon grapes, rose hips, and chokecherries to gather in the light of the morning sun.

Tonight I lay my bed beside the backbone of the world, aside the well worn trails of many game, and beneath the evening stars, facing the East, where from all good things come.

• Like 2

Pheasant legs for dinner last night and breasts for breakfast, far more delicious than any bird I've tasted before. nothing for dinner tonight I suspect but there is a banquet of Oregon grapes, rose hips, and chokecherries to gather in the light of the morning sun.

Tonight I lay my bed beside the backbone of the world, aside the well worn trails of many game, and beneath the evening stars, facing the East, where from all good things come.

This^^

You should do some travelling in the Canadian country, also very spectacular in it's own right. Great thread, thx for making the oontz that much better. A banquet of Oregon grapes, rose hip and chokecherries sounds like the best breakfast ever.

If the weather holds I'd head west on the high line then maybe hitch to San Diego and wait it out there. Riding the low line is risky but doable as long as you're okay with possibly getting arrested by ICE.

im trying to avoid the west coast till i learn the ropes. theres a lot of desolate shit to get stuck in between both coasts. ive driven through most of the cities in the us, this trip is going to be more about the people.