Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

I spent a night in Colorado, and climbed up the Continental divide and summited Golden Bear Peak, which took about 8 hours up and down. What a view. I slept in an unused ski lift operation room and tried to stay warm. Found an old hoodie with a joint in it. Score...

IMG_1408.jpg

Dinner last week

• Like 1

As of January 2011, only six homes and one business remain, their owners having refused to leave at any price; the rest of the town's buildings (excepting designated historical structures) are scheduled to be demolished by the end of the year.

Picher is one of only a few locations in the world (along with others such as Gilman, Colorado and Wittenoom, Western Australia) to be evacuated and declared uninhabitable due to environmental and health damage caused by the mines the town once serviced.

^^^

think you made it just in time.

Corrected for accuracy (we like tourists here)-

watch out for the popo

out west it's like dreadlocks and Grateful Dead stickers get you pulled over, end of story.

Since you don't strike me as that type of guy you'll probably be okay...one thing you should keep in mind if you're heading down the coast is that it's trim season in Mendocino and Humboldt and the CHP tends to get a little rambunctious this time of year. In other words- carrying weed can be a bad move if you don't have a card.

Picher is one of only a few locations in the world (along with others such as Gilman, Colorado and Wittenoom, Western Australia) to be evacuated and declared uninhabitable due to environmental and health damage caused by the mines the town once serviced.

^^^

think you made it just in time.

i have been to a place worse or similar to the above mentioned called Centralia, Pennsylvania. the whole place was taken under eminent domain and dont even have a zipcode! i thought it was FULLY abandoned but there are a few super creepers that still live there. its nuts. the mine has been on fire since the 60s. its so ill... the roads are all buckled and cracked from the wicked heat and fire below. the air is fucked.

also im sure traveling with a little sack of weed is the least of his worries if he has guns in the car. just sayin....

Either one is a potential hassle, it's the combo that will fuck you (at least in CA).

Centralia is fucking crazy. I used to go to ghost towns with my parents looking for antiques when I was a kid, and it varies...some are interesting and well worth going out of your way for (Bodie, CA) and then there's others that just look like a pile of lumber in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, and there's lots of weird shit out near the Salton Sea (NE of San Diego).

Corrected for accuracy (we like tourists here)-

Since you don't strike me as that type of guy you'll probably be okay...one thing you should keep in mind if you're heading down the coast is that it's trim season in Mendocino and Humboldt and the CHP tends to get a little rambunctious this time of year. In other words- carrying weed can be a bad move if you don't have a card.

hmm, when i said out west i wasn't only referring to california

and i am speaking from experiences of my own and that of many friends/family

you shoulda heard em when they got me in nevada

apparently my car touched the lane line mark too many times within one mile

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and no, i'm definitely not that type of guy, or girl.

Thanks for the tips...I haven't gotten pulled over yet. i got my card for the pistol so I'm not too worried about that. Although, it was kind of a joke the past month really, because somehow like 4 weeks ago someone who wasn't me was shooting the pistol out of the vehicle while driving down dirt roads and drinking excessively in the middle of the night. And that person was shooting with his left hand and hit the clip release while firing the gun and dropped the magazine in the middle of nowhere.

Traversi046.jpg

Fortunately I was able to find a place to order one and got a new one, with much difficulty. But that's getting ahead of myself.

I filed down the clip release so it would not be so anxious to release. I only have one anyway.

Kind of interesting, I called in and was on the Missouri NPR station for a while talking to a guy about volunteering. It's a really strange scene, being on the radio, hearing yourself talk, and wondering why the guy on the radio isn't answering the host's questions, and then realizing that its you that's not answering the questions.... what a trip. And symbols yes it definately did change quite a bit about myself...

Colorado - right at the Continental Divide.

Traversi055.jpg

I left my typewriter and all of my notes to that point in a city right outside the divide, and forgot about it. I am still trying to get it back.

I made iT to Wyoming and sort of shacked up with my ex girlfriend and her friends.

Traversi067.jpgThe town was called Wilson, right next to Jackson Hole. Jackson was a pain in the ass, a tourist city, but their "Whole Grocer" had a special shed out back that they ditched all their semi-good produce in, which was a gold mine for apples, grapes, corn, and many other vegetables and fruits. I made off with several hundred bruised apples which were cut and dried in an oven to make apple chips which would last almost indefinately.

I left my shoes halfway up one of the large hills surrounding the town, if anyone lives near there. There's some bones in the shape of an X right around where I left them. Fucking forgot them too.

hell yeah this guy does it. Post pics from atop golden bear peak please.

This shit was super windY!!! I got knocked down several times on the hike up there.

13,041 feet

I should have more pictures of the surroundings but it's hard to navigate with such little time.Traversi056.jpg

Somewhere west of Colorado ~

Traversi063.jpg

this place was the best so far in terms of a fun day. Took a "road" that said Petroglyphs -->

and it turned into 3 dirt roads

which I just picked one

which turned into 3 more dirt roads.

I just kept going, found an old trailer where a security guard used to sleep. unlocked. But, as i had dope and a couple of guns on my I did not want to be doing anything too illegal. Besides - I'm supposed to be roughing it. Fuck a trailer, in this fucking landscape, are you kidding me??

Traversi066.jpg

• Like 1