Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

SO when you get your bird, by whatever means you choose, this one acquired along the highways of Montana, freshly slain by a passing motorist, you must make sure that it is not rancid or nasty - do this by smelling it, feeling it, and moving the legs around like it's running in place, and open it's mouth and make it talk - one may recall Ace Ventura's marionetting of the Monopoly Man at the posh estate of the safari guide man.

IMG_1778.jpg

Now I've never slain birds, nor cleaned them, and only have eaten chicken and turkey - preprocessed. This is a novice's account of how to enjoy game birds.

Inspect the feathers for signs of beauty and note their colors to recount to your friends in poor fashion, using words like "so cool" and "really pretty"

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

I began to defrock the bird by tugging his feathers to pull them out. This did not work very well. They were almost impossible to get out, and I had soon figured that there was little point in doing such, as it came to be that I ripped the skin of his breast most quickly!

IMG_1786.jpg

This led to the revelation that it would be immensely easier to simply take the skin right off without bothering to defeather. It was soon easy work. There was almost no effort in pulling the outer soft skin and separating it from the flesh. it came off like a wet sweater.

IMG_1787.jpg

It was if the bird preferred to be skinned, rather than run around with that hot suit on; the meat was so cleanly exposed I had the notion that I needn't even wash it! I rationed myself out of that rather soon, having experienced the effects of unwashed meat. Exposing the breast, and peeling back the skin -

IMG_1788.jpg

I just kept pulling skin back. I found it easier, when you get the chest exposed - to snap off the legs at the ankle, or cut them. Then when you pull the skin off, it will be so much easier, as they slide out like taking off a long sleeve shirt.

IMG_1791.jpg

I found this to be really amusing, and i stopped what i was doing to laugh for a while. it all seemed so absurd. Being so far from anything that I knew, squatting next to a river's edge, pulling this poor bird apart not knowing what I'm doing. The lonliness and uncertainty, and the previous night I had met a girl on craigslist who turned out to be a meth hed and had one of those inverted faces. I couldn't help but laugh...

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

It was all so strange... I had woken before dawn in the midst of salt piles destined for highways. I saw O'Rien, and looked through the scope of my 30.06 at the Pleides, and the story of the seven Blackfeet girls running from a bear into the stars was playing back and forth. I did not want to go back to sleep but i did not want to leave. I stayed there for some time and left before first light.

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

I bathed in the river and refreshed myself, and I set the carcass afloat in the river. Looking back, I wish I'd saved the skull - but at the time it seemed most fitting, and I had enjoyed the feeling of cleanliness, which I knew would be spoiled quickly by the stench of rotting brain and flesh.

• Like 1