Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CALIgula

September 11th ...10 years later.

10 years has gone by since the attacks on Sept. 11th.

Thoughts? Comments? Are we safer? Are we as unified as we were after the attacks?

Should the mosque get built at ground zero? Should the steel cross be put in the memorial at ground zero?

Wanted to get the channel zero perspective on things.

Here is Injury's thread in Crossfire:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139075

Here is the actual 'as it happened' thread the day of the attacks:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54648

R.I.P. to all the victims/heroes of that day. :(

• Like 1

I agree....the first 3 or 4 pages just show the chaos and confusion that was going on. When I saw the first reports on the news everyone thought the 1st plane was a commuter plane and that it was an accident. Also, in the original thread, people were posting about a bomb at the pentagon and a bomb at the washington mall.

@knife--i agree...i was on wshh earlier today and listened to the whole thing and thought it very insensitive for the people at wshh to post that clip.

I feel like nothing but respect is due to the victims, as well as the police, firefighters, and rescue personnel. They rose to the occasion and handled an insanely unpredictable situation very well, as did everyone who had no obligation to help but did anyway...they should be acknowledged and remembered, along with the troops who have died in the wars we are currently still bogged down in.

However, my feelings about the way 9/11 has been treated in the past decade are extremely mixed, and I don't like a lot of what I've seen...unity (to a degree) and patriotism are two great things that came out of the tragedy, but they are counterbalanced by an unfortunate amount of xenophobia, racism, religious bickering, and people who make a buck for themselves off of cheap "remembrance" paraphernalia and those who have used the events that day to push their own agenda.

I rarely post seriously on this site but this topic deserves it...I'm sure some people will think I'm completely off the mark or radically wrong, and that's cool...so many factors are in play; something that is unequivocally one of the most major events in American history is gonna spawn differing opinions and viewpoints.

• Like 4

I feel like nothing but respect is due to the victims, as well as the police, firefighters, and rescue personnel. They rose to the occasion and handled an insanely unpredictable situation very well, as did everyone who had no obligation to help but did anyway...they should be acknowledged and remembered, along with the troops who have died in the wars we are currently still bogged down in.

However, my feelings about the way 9/11 has been treated in the past decade are extremely mixed, and I don't like a lot of what I've seen...unity (to a degree) and patriotism are two great things that came out of the tragedy, but they are counterbalanced by an unfortunate amount of xenophobia, racism, religious bickering, and people who make a buck for themselves off of cheap "remembrance" paraphernalia and those who have used the events that day to push their own agenda.

I rarely post seriously on this site but this topic deserves it...I'm sure some people will think I'm completely off the mark or radically wrong, and that's cool...so many factors are in play; something that is unequivocally one of the most major events in American history is gonna spawn differing opinions and viewpoints.

this.

i agree with you 110%.

we've given up unity and patriotism for racism, religious bickering and people selling rememberance paraphernalia.

i was watching the home shopping network last night and they were selling pocket knives with sept. 11th inscribed on them.....not to mention the commemorative coins and t-shirts.....i understand the idea of "never forget," but to make a quick buck off of the tragedy is uncalled for.

• Like 1

i have 100% respect for victims and all fire and rescue personnel on scene or anyone else who died.

with that said i CAN NOT handle the medias coverage of 9-11 every year and moreso this year on the 10yr anniversary. the sensationalizing and making money off of such a sad and horrible event bugs me to no end. every fucking channel having their own "specials", documentaries and programs about that day in every way shape or form is discussing.

one that stood out to me was, just the other day on yahoo there was a photo of a black woman covered in ash looking fucked up and so confused. and this AP photographer shoots a photo (which in itsself sucks) but then there is this story about where this woman is today... telling about her addiction to alcohol, her financial short comings and other hardships because of that day. like what does that matter, why do we need to know that sad shit and put that poor woman on front street like that. just seems like so many people are getting exploited and played to tell the "story" like we dont know, like we need more coverage and more horrible shit to let us know what happened was awful.

end rant....

reading that shit give me chicken skin. still remember waking up that day, "america under attack". the two towers feel before most of hawaii was even awake that day. it was crazy not seeing planes in the sky. eerie as hell.

rip

You should be sickened to know that tomorrow New York City is hosting a celebration in honor of all those who died ten years ago. They released an official statement asking all Firefighters, Police Officers, and all other "First Responders" to not show up cause there just isn't enough room.

. . . but NYC is footing the bill to fly in George Bush, and paying for Rudy Gulliani to attend, amongst other useless people.

I don't know why anyone even talks to George Bush Jr., he not only ruined the United States, but he managed to ruin the entire planet. The guy is the worst president in the history of the United States, yet people still continue to honor him.

Fuck that guy, he either caused, or knew about 9/11. . . then proceeded to profit from the war, and somehow is still a respected member of society, what a joke.

I have heard this and it's ridiculous.

It also irritates me to no end that Bush gets applauded for his leadership during 9/11 and the months immediately following. The fact that he was able to ride the coat tails of that "leadership" to win another term is laughable. Anyone could have been president during that time and been cast in a positive light, he benefitted strictly from association.

i have 100% respect for victims and all fire and rescue personnel on scene or anyone else who died.

with that said i CAN NOT handle the medias coverage of 9-11 every year and moreso this year on the 10yr anniversary. the sensationalizing and making money off of such a sad and horrible event bugs me to no end. every fucking channel having their own "specials", documentaries and programs about that day in every way shape or form is discussing.

fucking this

Who remembers this?

cnn.jpg

I remember walking to class that morning stressing because my dad was at the airport in Baltimore flying home. What a damn day that was.

how long until there's car dealerships with "9/11 sales" or some sort of 9/11 ride at a theme park that's similar to the tower of terror

Here is the actual 'as it happened' thread the day of the attacks:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54648

thanks for doing the dirty work finding that thread, I was going to re-post as the way I found out about the whole thing.

I was working in center city philly and read that post, (which I still find kind of eerily cool that it was authored by a now long time friend of mine). went for what I had which was a radio and listened to it from there. given the option to leave work shortly there-after I did, and on the off chance there was just a good old regular fire in a highrise as I was walking home, leaving me no other choice but to think that we were at full blown fucking war.

I think WalMarts sale on flags by the dozen red white and blue paper cups and table cloths and banners help create symbolically patriotic commerce.

I can get behind that

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now