Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAR

Scuba Diving Underwaterpartythread

I thinking about getting my scuba certifications this winter, who here dives? Is there anything I should know when looking into places to learn?

also,

1181059_LSHwgELS_c.jpg

2602932120101246683S425x425Q85.jpg

I am PADI and SSI certified.

Diving is amazing. It can be a somewhat expensive hobby if you really want to get tech with your gear. I'm sure you could get some used shit off Craigslist for a cheaper initial investment. You're gonna need fins, mask and snorkel at the least. Most schools don't provide those three, however they'll have everything else on loan. Buoyancy compensator, gauges and the rest of them thangs.

PADI and SSI are similar programs, you'll have to sit through some classes and do a few pool sessions before ya get to hit the ocean. After a few more instructed dives you get certified, many other avenues open up like open water, fresh water & high altitude diving... Or using oxygen/gas mixes (nitrox etc...) and deep diving all which have separate classes in SSI.

I prefer diving cold water, richer in nutrients so life is more abundant. Kelp Forests and pinnacles in Monterey Bay is where I learned.

I keep meaning to do it, but haven't for *insert excuse*

i bought a mask and fins and everything.

i went scuba diving once it was awesome then i watched that bbc documentary deep blue and am now terrified of the ocean

always wanted to try it. i frequently see people diving in a local area, cold water as well.

from what i hear it is a great spot to dive. seems like it is very, very expensive to delve into but once you have the base level gear you are ready to start learning i would assume.

I'm a certified PADI Open Water Diver. Unfortunately, I have not gone diving in around 10 years. Only dove in the tropics and always rented or borrowed gear (besides fins and mask). Could probably use a refresher course before I dive again.

this was always something i wanted to do but i was scared of my head exploding if i come up to fast

Buddy of mine from FL dives. Said him and his dudes used to go into underwater caves and shit. I had no idea there was anything like this in FL, but apparently so

-- http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/photography/photos/underwater-photos-gallery/cave-florida-ocean-blue/

http://aquaviews.net/scuba-dive-destinations/cave-diving-at-peacock-state-park-florida/

Pretty rad shit

~$300 for certification, 20-200 for a mask, 50-whatever you want to spend for fins, daily gear rental (wet/dry suit, tanks, etc) is 20-50 most places i've looked.

i feel like you can get pretty set up for about $600, thats the budget i'm working with.

Yeah that's pretty much it. 500-600 dollars. Get yas some decent split-fins. A decent mask and snorkel set. An underwater flashlight is pretty cool to have as well. Color dissapates with depth just like the light and visibility.

I did get to do some wreck diving in the Cayman Islands. In about 50 feet of water between coral reefs.

I was also going to add that if you luck out with a cool dive master for your class, they might let yas go down to like 60 feet. Most people stay at about 40 ft on their first attempts. I remember we were hitting 80 feet on our second time down. But 'Scuba Steve' was a real chill dude.

If you're open water certified you're cool to 90 -100 feet. After that depth interesting things like Nitrogen Narcosis come into play. People using Trimix and other mixes. Shit gets real technical and most of the people I've met who use SCUBA to dive past... say... 180 to 200 feet are absolutely fucking nuts. Like out of the head crazy fucks just like Patrick Swayze in Point Break.

ive done a bit of free diving and spear fishing but im not certified.

get someone to teach you how to use your flippers properly.

Yeah I got my license but it didn't interest me enough to make a habit of it. Many other things I'd prefer to spend my time money on. Horses for courses.

I dove at the great barrier reef. One of the scariest things I've ever done. Only went through with it because I'd already paid the money and the scrooge in me wouldn't let me pussy out.

My head just couldn't wrap around breathing underwater and I freaked out and had panic attacks etc. Was also hungover as fuck which didn't help.

is karla23 a decepticon ?

I took my padi in australia where the water was somewhat warm, I had an excellent time out there and saw big fucking sharks. I would recommend to anyone to do it.

I live in Vancouver, and there is world class cold water diving right out our front door. . .

I am thinking of starting again, I haven't been around my area yet but my roomate and I were talking about it.

I dove at the great barrier reef. One of the scariest things I've ever done. Only went through with it because I'd already paid the money and the scrooge in me wouldn't let me pussy out.

My head just couldn't wrap around breathing underwater and I freaked out and had panic attacks etc. Was also hungover as fuck which didn't help.

What was so scary about it? That's world class diving right der.

I also, have trouble controlling my breathing underwater...always the first to run out of air. Not really panic attacks, but definitely uncontrolled heavy breathing.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now