Flying

El Jefe Uno

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with flying

Turbulence freaks me out a bit

I was on a flight not long ago and we hit some turbulence. Shit was shaking pretty hard.

There was an empty seat next to me and stewardess sat down and was freaking the fuck out. her hands were shaking and she started eating peanuts all nervous like.

It was weird.

If the stewardess was freaking out,i had reason to be freaking out.

the palms were sweating that time

but usually i'm fine

i prefer driving or taking a train, much cooler than flying. sure its hell of a lot slower, but you cant get into too much shenanigans on a plane. you also cant see any cool shit along the way. i mean if you gotta be somewhere yesterday than you gotta do what you gotta do, but if its planable, i take one of the other 2 options.

Train is fuckin dope. I've taken Amtrak across country a few times and it's fuckin rad. Unfortunately I don't have the time to take the train for this trip.

Xanax it is, haha.

dramamine didn't help my airsickness, nor did it make me tired.

just saying fyi, and that was me. i know it does help a LOT of people

planes are safe though. and just think, every once in awhile the plane hits a flock of birds, loses both engines, and still lands ok.

as for the stats thing, there ARE a gazillion ways to interpret safety.

but here's how it goes for miles travelled..

If a particular individual traveled 1,000 miles in a plane they would have a 1 : 1,400,000 chance of dying (one fatal accident per 1.4 billion miles flown).

If the same individual traveled 1,000 miles in an automobile, they would have a 1 : 63,000 chance of dying.

This means that airlines are 22 times safer (when only fatalities are involved) than automobiles, per mile flown/driven.

another thing

Considering that the 1,000 mile trip in a plane will likely be more like 1,500 in the car, and that non-fatal but debilitating injuries are presumably more common in automobile accidents than in plane crashes (although plane fatalities are surprisingly low in accidents; over 95% of all people involved in airplane crashes survive!), and it is safe to say you'd be better off traveling by air.

i've flown a TON. i lost track of how much in the US. taken at least 20 overseas trips.

i've also driven a lot. all over the US

i almost died in a car, broke 7 ribs and a collarbone, plus collapsed a lung and fucked up my left kidney and spleen. i couldn't be in a car, comfortably, for about 4 years after. didn't own a car for 6 years after

Flying scares the shit out of me too, it should if you're human like someone said its instictal to be afraid when youre up in the fucking clouds.

Hitting turbulance is like seeing a shark fin in the water for me, but then I think how few plane crashes there are and how the pilot wants to live just as bad as I do.

It also helps to think that you can fly 2 hours or drive for 13.

Its not a hard choice for me

Charge iphone batteries

Smoke weed on way to airport

Make weed brownies if domestic flight

Have good new music and a book/magazine on deck.

Pretend you no speak a Engrish to people seated next to you

Let the fat fuck next to you know his fat isn't welcome on your side of the armrest

Don't eat anything that will make you gassy or worse yet, have to take a dump mid flight

hate flying. just hate it. i take lorazepam- not only calms the nerves but usually puts me to sleep through the flight too. i just cant stand to think about how... stuck i am up there. that if i want to get away or feel uneasy, there is no where to go. stuck in a capsule miles above ground.

just got off a 10 hour flight actually, but the preceding 1 hour flight was way worse- one of those rickity board-from-the-tarmac-staircase planes that holds like 60 people and dips and dives at every bit of turbulence. ugh.

Is lorazepam the same thing as Ativan?

I feel you on feeling trapped... I think it's the fact that if I feel uneasy, which I do when I'm 6 miles above the ground, there's nothing I can do about it. Fuck, I'm stressing, hahaha.

that sounds about right, not sure off the top of my head though.

moral of the story is... fuck flying. already loathing the potential 6 more flights on my schedule before the year is up. kill me now.