Cool cheap places to live in the world.

Soup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand

The Land of Smiles needs no introduction. More than probably any other South-East Asian country, it knows how to make us farangs (foreigners) feel welcome.

If you’ve visited, you’ll know the satisfaction of strolling up to a street stall, paying 25 baht (about £0.50) for a plate of fried rice, then sitting on a little plastic chair and watching the world go by. Then there are the cheap, comfortable guest houses (or beach huts!), the dollar-a-bottle beers and the cheap buses that can take you half the length of the country for the same price as getting to the next town at home.

And you know what, living here is even cheaper than visiting. Even in Bangkok, a long-term studio apartment is only £90 per month; move somewhere like Chiang Mai, and you could pay as little as £20! So you can budget just £300 for the whole month and have a lifestyle just as comfortable, but infinitely more satisfying than you’ve got at home.

Oh, and we’ll let you into a little secret… pretty much everyone leaves Thailand looking slimmer than when they arrived! Why? Because instead of stuffing yourself with burgers and chips, you’ll be having rice and green curry; because instead of finishing off your meal with cakes and biscuits, you’ll probably find a fresh mango shake infinitely more refreshing; and because instead of being chained to a desk all day, you’ll be out exploring this gorgeous country!

Yeah Thailand for the win, Indo is fukn awesome if ya surf, and cheaper too.

Costa Rica? Fuck that place, full of yankees and mega dodgy.

Nicaragua-hardly any yankees for some reason despite being Costas neighbour, equally dodgy but the people are way nicer, chicks in Costa are hotter though.

So many decisions hey.

And don't ever come live in Australia, the weather sucks, no mountain bike trails, surfing, anything like that, the people are cunts and it's impossible to rack paint or booze, and if you get caught you get 'the boot', just like in the Simpsons

stable government

Nail on the head. Im looking for a place to make a living too. I don't need my hard earned cash going to erecting statues of warlords or cats.

For that reason Brazil might be good too. With all of its problems it's economy is as stable, if not more than ours.

Mexico would be interesting. Aside from the roaming drug cartels it could be a good place. They did invent Thomas English Muffins.

Didn't use that word seriously

Looks like I did

FFFFUUUUUtbollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

*fixed

---------------------------------------

Mexico is NOT dangerous unless you get involved with drugs.

By involved, I mean hanging with dealers and the places they frequent.

Typically, cartel guys are rural types that don't bother messing with foreigners.

What is the point?

They're already paid.

Not worried about your couple hundred dollars.

Also, any work you're looking at is going to be illegal without a work visa which means you will get paid in dirt.

Even with a visa, any place below America is paying you nothing close to a living wage.

So, working your way around or thriving anywhere poor is a pipe dream unless you go somewhere that places value on something you can do.

Thailand is your best bet, but even there, what can you do?

Teach English, but only with a certification.

Otherwise you work illegally for less than a living wage.

Move to Portland.

Live with your people.

Then again...

I hear Burma is beautiful this time of year.

Eritrea as well.

North Korea is too expensive.

Sudan is cheap.

move to varna in bulgaria, if you start a business, learn how to handle to mafia

south east asia is all pretty simple and nice. Thailand and indo for the win, cambodia and vietnam are a little depressing/ annoying.

Move to Buenos Aires etc etc,

0r fuck it, move to Urumqi or move to Ulaanbaatur or move to Favela

Everyones heard that. Saw some random old dudes walking around with young cambodian boys. Definately disgusting.

edit. it's actually hard to tell if it's a weird looking expat with his kid, some pedo bear I should throw my beer bottle at or both. Otherwise I think confronting pedo bear on some angry australian shit is actually not out of the question for me. regardless, the vibe in general is not nice.

ive actually not been to thailand (it looked to touristy for my tastes but sounds like a good place to live).

if you do drugs though, you definately want to learn the law and penalties there, although, as with most places in the world, those penalities rarely apply to people with money doing personal things....but if you do get in trouble it's obviously quite serious. I dont know about indo.