RAILBIKE appreciation.

chorus

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Gas- it's clearly a bike with rims fitted to ride a long train rails. Did you ever do graffiti or even just take a shortcut across a trainline? Or are you just that old washed up guy who's blaming it on the blacks and went to korea that one time ? hah

Concrete- maybe prop the guy who made it. I don't have the time to waste on something so useless (but fun). I just thought some of the people on the oontz might like it.

Al- Why exactly? Nigga's gonna nig. Who cares.

photo3.jpg

Turns out (unsurprisingly ) there's a bit of a history/ culture behind it.

Here's some bits and pieces I found.

'Scores of patents for railbike systems were filed between 1880 and 1920 around the world.'

'Railbikes were once used by railroad companies for track checking, moving workers at work sites as well as going for assistance when the locomotives broke down. '

'Like its contemporary, the bicycle, railbike design went into decline with the advent of the internal combustion engine and the automobile. A few independently minded designers and tinkerers kept the concept alive for the last 90 years and today there is a resurgence of interest in railbiking.'

2railbikes.jpg

3_tbeW4_17014.jpg

^ apparently in costa rica

bbrown_railbike1.JPG

2railbikes.jpg

see someone else googled rail bike. props.

on further research looks like people travel across country on them sometimes (not unlike people who enjoy bike travel). Would be interesting.

concrete- yeah actually I guess it's not entirely useless. You could probably cover alot of ground on that thing in a few all nighters.

Got to go get some things done. Enjoy.

Stupid bike is stupid.

First cop that shows up and you have to ditch it.

Worthless.

I blame the blacks.

First post was a joke... And, this is a great point. Riding it on unused tracks for recreational purposes, could prove to be pretty cool though. Til you get smoked by a fucking train.

mm that joke is old... and dumb (no offence).

If you're scared of lifting a bike off some rail tracks when you see a train coming then maybe it's time for you to just quit life and get a mortgage.

I do agree the idea of taking this to a situation where you'll likely have to make some sort of escape is not a good one.

But it'd be a fun way to cover some distances and all that aside; I think the lesser used rails of some countries would show some great scenery/ lead to some interesting places.

I always wanted to try one of those, but Id be too afraid of getting destroyed by a train. "But dude, youll like see or hear a freight coming from a mile away!!" Thats true, unless for some reason theres a commuter train or one of those trucks with train wheels on it coming. High speed commuters are deadly quiet and fast, and those trucks are even quieter. Ive had more than one sneak up on me.

haha amphibious bike and ski bikes. So good. The mini was becoming suprisingly popular in Sydney before I left.

Boj - get him to finish it bud.

Lew - Yes I think that's happened to many ppl. Personally I think I'd be fine on the bike because I'd have that in mind. But I know what you're trying to say. Peak hour metro track isn't the first place that comes to mind for casual rail biking. (Unless you have some particular adventure in mind).

I think that overall and jail song thing is called a hand car? (n/h)