Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chorus

RAILBIKE appreciation.

This kid posted this in the yard for some reason. I liked the idea so much I wanted to show you all.

something I was working on over he summer untill I was layed off.....

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

over kill....

004-7.jpg

006-4.jpg

lock out

008-7.jpg

009-6.jpg

Keeping it Rail. :)

• Like 1

Gas- it's clearly a bike with rims fitted to ride a long train rails. Did you ever do graffiti or even just take a shortcut across a trainline? Or are you just that old washed up guy who's blaming it on the blacks and went to korea that one time ? hah

Concrete- maybe prop the guy who made it. I don't have the time to waste on something so useless (but fun). I just thought some of the people on the oontz might like it.

Al- Why exactly? Nigga's gonna nig. Who cares.

photo3.jpg

Turns out (unsurprisingly ) there's a bit of a history/ culture behind it.

Here's some bits and pieces I found.

'Scores of patents for railbike systems were filed between 1880 and 1920 around the world.'

'Railbikes were once used by railroad companies for track checking, moving workers at work sites as well as going for assistance when the locomotives broke down. '

'Like its contemporary, the bicycle, railbike design went into decline with the advent of the internal combustion engine and the automobile. A few independently minded designers and tinkerers kept the concept alive for the last 90 years and today there is a resurgence of interest in railbiking.'

2railbikes.jpg

3_tbeW4_17014.jpg

^ apparently in costa rica

bbrown_railbike1.JPG

2railbikes.jpg

see someone else googled rail bike. props.

on further research looks like people travel across country on them sometimes (not unlike people who enjoy bike travel). Would be interesting.

concrete- yeah actually I guess it's not entirely useless. You could probably cover alot of ground on that thing in a few all nighters.

Got to go get some things done. Enjoy.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather ride one of those carts with the water pump type thing on it that you have to sing jail songs to operate.

You probably also have to be in overalls.

• Like 3

Stupid bike is stupid.

First cop that shows up and you have to ditch it.

Worthless.

I blame the blacks.

First post was a joke... And, this is a great point. Riding it on unused tracks for recreational purposes, could prove to be pretty cool though. Til you get smoked by a fucking train.

mm that joke is old... and dumb (no offence).

If you're scared of lifting a bike off some rail tracks when you see a train coming then maybe it's time for you to just quit life and get a mortgage.

I do agree the idea of taking this to a situation where you'll likely have to make some sort of escape is not a good one.

But it'd be a fun way to cover some distances and all that aside; I think the lesser used rails of some countries would show some great scenery/ lead to some interesting places.

Ha! That's my friend's. I forgot all about that thing. I don't think he ever finished it though, from what I can remember.

these things are awesome

but i think i prefer ski bikes

skibike.jpg

skibike.jpg

i think the 1 arm across the track design seems much more ridable... must be stupid when you finally meet up with a train and you gotta lug that thing off the tracks

but also, other cool bikes..

amphibious-bicycle_2_KdM6c_69.jpg

amphibious model^

bike-mod-1.jpg

no seat model^

zero_yodo04.jpg

the mini^

4615288989_58c8701ca3.jpg

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now