Draw the username above you

swif1

• 2 years later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, delv said:

Just got procreate so totally cheating but keen to bring this thread back. 

I use Procreate for so much... work, personal design projects, art projects, and of course - sketching Graffiti. I don't see this as cheating, I see it as progression.

Sure, it's not the tools I learned with - it's not a real paper blackbook where you have to hone your skills using Design and Prismacolor markers, Gel and Posca paint pens, and Prismacolor color pencils. A tablet is a tool for the time we live in. It's a blackbook, markers, paint pens, and color pencils wrapped up in a well-designed frame. It's just another tool in your arsenal. It's progression.

Think of it like caps and Euro paint - back when I started painting in 1985 there were two caps - Testors cap and Bug & Tar cap, now commonly referred to as a NY Thin and a Rusto Fat. There was also 2-3 brands of spray paint with very limited colors - maybe 20 colors each brand but not every store carried all colors. You used what you had because those were the tools in your arsenal. Then Euro paint came on the scene and brought with them a wider range of colors (over 100 per brand) and a much larger variety of caps. No one considered it cheating because they're just tools to get the job done. And now there's even more spray paint brands. That's progression. 

Cheating would be using your tablet to take a photo of a subway car in the station and drawing digitally over the photo to make it look like you painted the subway car. 

Your tablet is just another tool. Celebrate it. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Joker said:

I use Procreate for so much... work, personal design projects, art projects, and of course - sketching Graffiti. I don't see this as cheating, I see it as progression.

Sure, it's not the tools I learned with - it's not a real paper blackbook where you have to hone your skills using Design and Prismacolor markers, Gel and Posca paint pens, and Prismacolor color pencils. A tablet is a tool for the time we live in. It's a blackbook, markers, paint pens, and color pencils wrapped up in a well-designed frame. It's just another tool in your arsenal. It's progression.

Think of it like caps and Euro paint - back when I started painting in 1985 there were two caps - Testors cap and Bug & Tar cap, now commonly referred to as a NY Thin and a Rusto Fat. There was also 2-3 brands of spray paint with very limited colors - maybe 20 colors each brand but not every store carried all colors. You used what you had because those were the tools in your arsenal. Then Euro paint came on the scene and brought with them a wider range of colors (over 100 per brand) and a much larger variety of caps. No one considered it cheating because they're just tools to get the job done. And now there's even more spray paint brands. That's progression. 

Cheating would be using your tablet to take a photo of a subway car in the station and drawing digitally over the photo to make it look like you painted the subway car. 

Your tablet is just another tool. Celebrate it. 

Tablets cool.... But no ruler? I am all about being  tool user. But found this a bit hypocritical after you told me no ruler.  A tool is a tool.  

9 hours ago, EkONE23 said:

Tablets cool.... But no ruler? I am all about being  tool user. But found this a bit hypocritical after you told me no ruler.  A tool is a tool.  

You're right, it does sound hypocritical, but I'm still pushing back:

Using a ruler to create your outline in a blackbook, of which most people are using an 8.5"x11" format, can set you up for frustration when you take that outline to the wall. On a small sheet of paper like that teaching yourself to hit a relatively straight lines takes practice, but it's achievable. And if you can teach yourself to hit those lines in a blackbook then you can teach yourself to hit them on the wall, too. And ultimately the wall is where it counts, most. 

As I mentioned in the original post - using an 8' long 2x4 as a guide will help you hit those lines on the wall but then you need folks to hold that piece of wood for you, for every line. For every outline you paint? That's not sustainable. There's the option of tape but I don't think anyone would dispute the argument that tape should not be used in Graffiti writing. Murals, sure, writing Graffiti... seems iffy. And full disclosure, I've used tape before to create Graffiti. I kicked myself in the dick later for doing so. I've use tape on some of my bigger murals because the lines are sometimes 20' or longer with angles coming from two or three stories up, and while I'm decent at getting straight lines with paint, I'm no machine. I also don't consider those murals Graffiti since the content usually centers around the client for whom I'm painting the mural, and not around letters. If I do paint letters in my murals, they're secondary to the mural concept. Yeah, I know... I'd give me the side eye, too. 

Think of this way... you know those flat plastic templates you can buy that have several sized circles or ovals? If there was a Graffiti template with arrows and extensions, bits and doo-dads... would you use it? Not necessarily the same idea as using a ruler to create straight lines in your outline, but kinda. 

All that said - if folks want to use a ruler to create their outlines in a blackbook, then do it. My word is not the end-all be-all gospel of Graffiti. I'm just encouraging them not to rely on things like a ruler. If using a ruler to create a line is necessary, I would try using the ruler as a guide. Lay the ruler about a quarter inch away from where they want the line, and follow the ruler along as they draw the line. Do that a bunch and I bet they'll start to get relatively straight lines without a ruler. It's like Industrial Design or Product Design students learning their craft... they'll waste an entire sketchbook practicing drawing perfect circles and straight lines over and over. It just takes practice. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

8 hours ago, Joker said:

You're right, it does sound hypocritical, but I'm still pushing back:

Using a ruler to create your outline in a blackbook, of which most people are using an 8.5"x11" format, can set you up for frustration when you take that outline to the wall. On a small sheet of paper like that teaching yourself to hit a relatively straight lines takes practice, but it's achievable. And if you can teach yourself to hit those lines in a blackbook then you can teach yourself to hit them on the wall, too. And ultimately the wall is where it counts, most. 

As I mentioned in the original post - using an 8' long 2x4 as a guide will help you hit those lines on the wall but then you need folks to hold that piece of wood for you, for every line. For every outline you paint? That's not sustainable. There's the option of tape but I don't think anyone would dispute the argument that tape should not be used in Graffiti writing. Murals, sure, writing Graffiti... seems iffy. And full disclosure, I've used tape before to create Graffiti. I kicked myself in the dick later for doing so. I've use tape on some of my bigger murals because the lines are sometimes 20' or longer with angles coming from two or three stories up, and while I'm decent at getting straight lines with paint, I'm no machine. I also don't consider those murals Graffiti since the content usually centers around the client for whom I'm painting the mural, and not around letters. If I do paint letters in my murals, they're secondary to the mural concept. Yeah, I know... I'd give me the side eye, too. 

Think of this way... you know those flat plastic templates you can buy that have several sized circles or ovals? If there was a Graffiti template with arrows and extensions, bits and doo-dads... would you use it? Not necessarily the same idea as using a ruler to create straight lines in your outline, but kinda. 

All that said - if folks want to use a ruler to create their outlines in a blackbook, then do it. My word is not the end-all be-all gospel of Graffiti. I'm just encouraging them not to rely on things like a ruler. If using a ruler to create a line is necessary, I would try using the ruler as a guide. Lay the ruler about a quarter inch away from where they want the line, and follow the ruler along as they draw the line. Do that a bunch and I bet they'll start to get relatively straight lines without a ruler. It's like Industrial Design or Product Design students learning their craft... they'll waste an entire sketchbook practicing drawing perfect circles and straight lines over and over. It just takes practice. 

I dig it. And when I paint my piece is always a bit different then the outline. And I fill up book after book praticing my craft. I more use my ruler for proportions and spacing.  Also there are no real rules to graff. This is an expressive art. Hence the wide range of styles. But I am also a firm believer of using tools. I started writing in 98. Befor eruo paint and caps and 12oz. So still had to rack paint,test caps and make my own mops. That taught me to use anything at my disposal.  I am down with a tablet. I am down with a ruler. I could see using a 2x4. I will use whatever to translate what is in my head into reality. 

9 minutes ago, EkONE23 said:

I dig it. And when I paint my piece is always a bit different then the outline. And I fill up book after book praticing my craft. I more use my ruler for proportions and spacing.  Also there are no real rules to graff. This is an expressive art. Hence the wide range of styles. But I am also a firm believer of using tools. I started writing in 98. Befor eruo paint and caps and 12oz. So still had to rack paint,test caps and make my own mops. That taught me to use anything at my disposal.  I am down with a tablet. I am down with a ruler. I could see using a 2x4. I will use whatever to translate what is in my head into reality. 

My bad 12oz started in 98. But I did not have internet then. And I guess I Montana and Belton were around. But it was not accessible. 

Edited by EkONE23

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...