Help fix my TRUCK!

ImChristeezy

I suppose this isnt thread-worthy but im in serious need of some help and Im sure a lot of you on here are somewhat mechanics since majority is doods...

So here is my problem...

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2... I bought it from a dude who has a shop all the way in Burlingame, so there is no way im towing it from here (sac area) to there (SF area) to see if he can fix it when I know itll cost a shit load of money to get there then fixed once the problem is found.

So I was driving home from rosa when the battery light came on, I got all the way to Fairfield which is like an hr and 10 minutes from when it first came on... when all the sudden my stereo turned off and all the dash lights came on. Having the anxiety I do, I immediatly got off the hwy and turned off my car, thinking I had lost all power. I tried cranking it over an it just canked hella times, no power.

Got it towed home then a few days later had somebody look at it. We took the altenator to autozone and they checked it, said it was good. Same with the battery, but thats brand new. So I tried having somebody jump it and it started, a couple of the dash lights still on, plus the battery light but it ran. I drove it about 3 minutes down the road to my parents in laws and after turning it off, it wouldnt start again. Had it jumped again and it made it all the way to the intersection, then as I excellerated it lost power an got real slow.... I made it through the intersection then to the side of the road... Had to get it jumped again then got it home which was right there anyway.... So its losing power somehow.. Its not the altenator so Im not sure at all. I know I had the AC on the entire day I was driving it the day it died on me as well as the stereo but not using those things when ive been testing it out after being jumped, so not sure if those things may be draining it at all? but how if im not even using them...?

I just need some help on some ideas, i just moved to this new town and dont have a fuckin car anymore and i need one. especially this one with AC. please help me if you can think of anything? I dont have the money for a dyno either so thats out of the question.

Thank You!

-Steezy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but I was told it was brand new.. It looks brand new so idk... I would assume if a ton of lights on the dash are coming up as well as the battery light, that its a bit more major than just an old battery.

could there be something wrong with the battery even if it is new??

land rovers are notorious for having electrical problems, and have low reliability ratings. unless you get a pre-'96 model, which have less frugal engines and electronics, you're going to have problems in the long run. also having an all aluminum block, 4.6L V8, will make it easier for you to crack the block or the heads when you over heat.

Land rovers/Range rovers are not a car you buy used, its a car you lease new, and get rid of it before they start giving you problems. same goes for Jaguars.

wreck it and collect $5k from the insurance, and buy something low maintenance, and more practical

Alternator might be shot. Putting a brand new battery into a car with a shoddy alternator is a pretty swell trick to fuck someone over. It'll have initial charge and auxiliary component power but it's not going to last too long if the alternator is trashed. I read you've had it checked out, but there's not much else that would 'drain' the battery after initial start. If the alternator was taken out of the car and tested, have you checked the alternator belt? Not super up on LR's, sorry.

Only other thing I can think is bad earth?

As has been said, LR's are fucking shithouse for faults.

I would try finding a LR specific forum and asking on there. Car forums are generally pretty forthcoming with ideas and technical advice, in my experience anyway.

Try here; http://landroverforums.com/forum/

Asked my mate;

Turn everything off and disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Grab a multimeter and set it to DC amps.

Connect multimeter between neg battery post and neg battery lead.

Read current draw. (make everything is off. eg. interior light)

Should be less than 0.1amps (100mA)

If its more, start pulling fuses till the current falls, this will identify the offending circuit.

If the alternator is shagged it can pull current from the battery when the car is off.

Not likely to be a bad earth as this increases resistance, which causes current to fall. (Ohm's law)

land rovers are notorious for having electrical problems, and have low reliability ratings. unless you get a pre-'96 model, which have less frugal engines and electronics, you're going to have problems in the long run. also having an all aluminum block, 4.6L V8, will make it easier for you to crack the block or the heads when you over heat.

Land rovers/Range rovers are not a car you buy used, its a car you lease new, and get rid of it before they start giving you problems. same goes for Jaguars.

wreck it and collect $5k from the insurance, and buy something low maintenance, and more practical

How much did you pay for the car?? Lighting it on fire might be the way to go-- Don't buy a car that you can't afford to fix.. The more you know oner

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2...

I think this is your problem. It's possible to have a battery problem .. but more likely than not El V nailed it on the head.

When Ford bought LR Shit went downhill fast. I agree with the total and cash out for an Accord.

Alternator might be shot. Putting a brand new battery into a car with a shoddy alternator is a pretty swell trick to fuck someone over. It'll have initial charge and auxiliary component power but it's not going to last too long if the alternator is trashed. I read you've had it checked out, but there's not much else that would 'drain' the battery after initial start. If the alternator was taken out of the car and tested, have you checked the alternator belt? Not super up on LR's, sorry.

exactly what i thought after i read ..

alternator .. just put a new one in and a new battery and go from there. don't bother swapping only one and not the other. you will just run into more problems.. either way its a LR and like a few other people said already .. electrical problems are common ..it is like a can of worms it just just keeps turning into a mess and going until you wind up replacing every god damn wire in the whole car.

Some of you guys aren't even reading, alternator is good, battery is good.

This is just a guess based on your story, you probably have an intermittent short somewhere in your electrical system.

This means under certain conditions exposed wires are touching metal causing the short, or you have a bad relay somewhere.

Either way, it's going to require a mechanic or someone with a volt meter and skills to diagnose and and fix it right, they're usually tough to fix.

If you want to try to find and fix the problem yourself I'd look at your fuses and make sure none of them are jumped out, and that there are only actual fuses being used.

If you do find a jumper you'll at least be able to narrow down where the short is coming from and try to fix it.

The problem is when it's intermittent like this you can't find the short unless it's actually happening.

Also, Land Rovers really do suck and are worthless if they have over 50k miles, I'd fix it and get rid of it now.

if you are dealing with an electrical problem, and it sounds like you are due to the ok reads on alternator and battery, combined with an intermittent problem that associates with random dash lights coming on, you are in for it.

unless you have a trusted mechanic who has expertise in this, you should cut your losses NOW and ditch the car. electrical issues that can't be immediately identified and rectified usually aren't worth pouring money and time into unless it's a new car or you have no other choice for some reason.

my advice bottom line? don't waste anymore time and money on it.

since, you don't know for sure...I'd spend the $90/100 on a new battery and replace the old battery. A simple task that even a girl can do.

Then, see if the when you turn the key, is your car making any noise? doesn't it sounds like it might turn over? does it not? If it does sound like it can turn over but doesn't, you do have a problem with your alternator. If there is still no sound, just lights, then there's an electrical problem and something is not connecting with battery.

Personally, I just think you need a new battery. I've told two dudes this in the past two years who have told me otherwise, and ended up finding out they just needed a battery.

Super Milky Car Genius Onerupper

8444.jpg?1240284959

Best advice in this thread man sorry. I know they are cool looking trucks and they stand out because no one has them but there is a reason for that. The gas and continuous maintenance on a 2000 LR is going to be brutal on your wallet.