************************ hella sikk tattz thread?

Fist 666

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: ************where is the tattoo thread?

luckily your'e in the belly of the beast homie, just depends how much nacho cheese you wanna give up!?

Temple Tattoo

Tattoo 13

FTW Tattoo

Blackheart Tatttoo

Picture Machine Tattoo

Spider Murphys Tattoo

Pops Old Town Tattoo

American Graffiti

Forever Tattoo

are a few shops/folkers i have befreinded over the years.

everyone can be laughed at until their merit is proven.

you can't write everyone off just because it's the easy thing to do though.

people said fine line could never hold up.

it did. often times far better than its more 'traditionl' counterparts.

im not putting jeff in league with bob. I'm not guaranteeing it's going to last, but at some point things do change. someone steps up and proves things can be done differently. if anyone has the skill and the passion to do it its jeff. time will tell.

i feel what your'e saying....to a point. people who thought what i was doing 5-6 yrs ago was like some fucking novelty/antique store shit. little skill & passion turned the tides, and now i have worked with some of the best around, worldwide.

you just have to look at the 3 post above & wonder....is a fucking color portrait on your forearm really going to hold out as long as something bert, coleman, boltz, uzi, phillips, mindell, cripwell, xam, sylvia, etc..... would!?

or do just uneducated people want it because it's pretty?

(really though)

no, I'm sure it's not going to hold up as well, but is a kia senate a better car than a ferrari, because it has less maintenance issues? it's kind of comparing apples to oranges.

everything falls apart eventually. people are used to seeing 50 year old traditional pin ups that are such a blur, they look like they have a cockroach for a face. we see them and we think 'man, thats fucking awesome', even though if judged critically, its actually a total piece of shit. but we accept that it's what a tattoo looks like after 50 years. we don't see the product before us, we see the the tattoo shop 50 years ago with the line of sailors half a block long. we see the history and thats why we love it.

problem is, history doesn't end. traditional tattoos gave way to biker tattoos. and anyone that was around tattoos 15 years ago knows that anglo dragons were the laughing stock of tattooing. fast forward to today, when i see a 50 year old dude with a big ass dragon, or a wizard.... fuck man, i get pumped. not cause the tattoos are good, they never are, but because i see that dude sitting in that shop in 85, listening to sabbath getting a sick ass castle tattoo.

after that came chromed out graffiti everything, and ill be honest... not enough time has passed to make me really appreciate that stuff as a whole. I'm not sure i ever will, but never the less, it happened. and now all this color portrait shit is happening. and maybe 90% of the people are just churning out abortions, but there are a few people who are doing stuff that i'll bet are gonna still look bitching in 20 years. yeah, they'll be faded and have lost some of their luster, but you'll still be able to see the quality.

don't get my long winded tirade wrong, i fucking hate color portraits. i hate all this hyper color shit. i think it looks retarded, but I'm not gonna dismiss it categorically cause nothings ever that cut and dried. my coworker got a tattoo from bert a couple months ago. the thing is gonna be an indecipherable black blob in 10 years. waaaay too much black. i see people looking at tattoos saying 'man, that things so awesome, theres so much fucking black in it!'. yeah, so much that theres too much, and its gonna look like hell. i see it in bailey hunter robinsons work as well sometimes. sure it looks cool now, but its gonna are just as badly as some of this art fag shit. does it look bad ass today? sure. but if the argument is longevity, people need to remember that shit goes both ways.

sorry, just trying to throw out some food for thought, since i think this is a real important topic at this point in tattooing.

yep.

i like to hear other peoples takes on such & such. and your opinion is very much correct on pretty much all points. i just think it's kooky. it makes me think of some dood who was really good at like oil painting. and one day was like shit, i should start tattooing this shit on people!?

i am just stuck in my ways & like tattoos, not art. i think it relfects in almost 110% of my work. pretty bare bones, straight to the point style. i just think a tattoo should look like a tattoo, thats all. and when you change the formula, it most likely will fall apart.

agreed that yes, no matter what. unless you are a vampire & live in a sunless cave...they will most likely ALL look like terds in 50 yrs!?

(castles & merlins over chromed out spray bottles any fucking day!)

I've seen some portraits that are 20 years old that still resemble the face. One was a Jim Morrison tattoo and it has still held up, but it wasn't a color it was b&g. I've also seen some old sailor tattoos that look like shit but like seeking said you honor the history and tell the old dapper it looks good in hopes of hearing some cool story about how he got it. I enjoy the history and shooting the shit with people that lived thru a different time of tattooing. Nowadays it's so candy coated and everyone is trying to be humble but in reality it's an ego pissing contest. Back in the day there were very limited spots and in a port town the sailors would line up for blocks to get a scribble souvenir. There were no appointment books and most tattooers weren't trying to shit talk the guy down the street, it was a craft with very simple designs. The quality of traditional tattoos is very dependent on black and they whip shaded the shit out of them old bangers, well after several years that black will blob the fuck out, there is no real gradients like the ink being used today.

I appreciate guys doing great Americana but in reality it has become so emulated that it gets boring to look at. Tattooing has gone thru so many styles and realism is a fresh face(even though it's been around for age)- I think tv ink shows just showcased it more and clients became more aware of portrait tattoos. Realism is very dependent on gradients and it also takes a lot more skill to pull off. You throw down an extra shade on a baby portrait and it could easily resemble a monkey, you pull off that same mistake on a traditional portrait style tattoo and it can easily be fixed by spreading more solid color around.

Nowadays tattooing has evolved artistically, it is now respected as a medium and not so much a subculture of hookers, sailors, bikers, hooligans, etc. Clients are getting more custom pieces and tattooers are now upping their game by learning to be versatile especially in their art. Tattooers build a reputation by their portfolio, back in the day if you asked to see a portfolio they would tell you to fuck off.

We try to preach longevity but we all know that in 30 years they all most likely will be distorted. I think the debate between traditional and realism is not rooted by longevity but more likely jealousy. A very skilled Americana traditional tattooer will rarely do a portrait but a realism tattooer can easily emulate the traditional style and visibly pull it off convincingly to a client. Most of the tattooers bitching about Jeff Gogue and claiming his style won't hold up are generally traditional tattooers, and coincidentally could never pull it off so they umad. This basically reassures the ego driven pissing contest that tattooing has become. Traditional tattooers are claiming their style is better and have that bold will hold attitude. I've always expressed that I don't care for traditional but in reality I appreciate a bunch of guys that can take that style and really make it their own, menace mentioned a bunch that are pulling off likable and current traditional. It looks more like art than a coloring book cut out and I'm not too fond that for every great traditional tattooer there is at least ten thousand trying to hustle their cut and paste traditional style.

Traditional tattoos are generally 2D images and realism is 3D and pushes the boundaries. It's exciting to see people push the boundaries and not just coast on the easy street. For several years tattooing was very basic and now has become vibrant and graphic. Tattooers have a completely different approach to customers than 50 years ago, but in the end tattooing is still a job. It was a job 50 years ago and it's still a job today and even though some styles I get sick of seeing I still have a respect for the field as a career. The technique behind the craft has not changed much just the artwork. 50 years ago tattooers weren't concerned about the longevity of a tattoo, and nowadays it seems to be the big argument. ALL tattoos will eventually look like shit, the canvas is skin, people age and so will their tattoo. If a tattooer can make a tattoo look good for 20 years then job well done. I've seen both traditional tattoos and realism that have lasted 20 years. I've also seen some outback Borneo tattoos that have lasted and on the flip side seen some that look like blobs of shit. Them headhunters aren't choosing a custom tattoo or getting a consultation with a top shelf artist, they get a right of passage. Years down the road they don't bitch about it looking like a blob or wanting it reworked, they know it looks like shit and it relates to those old sailors when they roll up their sleeve. It has aged but they got it as a right of passage, and have a cool story to tell. Times have changed, tattooing is being respected more for the artwork and the medium it has become. Menace mentioned that a tattoo should look like a tattoo? That's like saying an oil painting should look like an oil painting, or rock poster should look like a rock poster. There are no boundaries when you look at tattooing as a medium, it is actually pretty exciting to see tattooers bust out new tricks artistically.

Also I think Google images has turned tattooing into a gong show, but that's another rant for another day.

whoa. best conversations in the tattoo thread in a long time.

i think this year will be very big for bearded skulls.

seeking/koh could you change the title back to have more *********** so its easier to find? thanks. if i'd known we wouldn't get the real one back i'd have done it the first time.

i get hyped up every time i seen some 80 yr old grandpa with a a forearm tattoo. even if its a big blob of black it makes me even more curious as to what the story behind it is. as far as some of the topics about the longevity and how a tattoo is going to hold up in 20 years or how the artists technique will hold up; all i can think is that only time will tell. im sure most of the guys like gogue take extreme pride in their work and hope to hell that it will hold up.

personally i think we all have the option to research and go to whomever we want to get work done on us. especially with the internet these days. aslo u cant take seeing one tattoo from an artist that might have turned out like shit and blame soley the artist. im a welder by trade and i have knuckle tatttoo and i weld bare handed most days. how do u think those fuckers are gonna look in a couple of years. it was probably the dumbest shit i couldve done. my cousin did my sleeve on my right arm which gets hit with the welding light more that the left and i dont know how cause i rarely wear sunblock but the colors in it have stood the test of time, i think 6 years now. but he also takes his time to make sure that color digs the fuck in there and will stay. would i send someone to him to get a portrait done? hell fucking no. but if you want a traditional/modern tatto i'll send a friend to him... i dont know where this rant is going or the point im trying to make, but i guess all we can do is not be so judgemental. there's too many factors that go into having a tattoo hold up. but if every work by some artist looked like shit after a year or two then i say bash away.

It sucks that the old thread is gone. That thread must have been 10+ years old and was jam packed full of good shit. KOH mentioned that was one of the only reasons he came to 12oz and honestly I agree. I started coming to 12oz because of writing then got into tattooing. Once you get older, married, have kids, careers, etc. then spending all night bombing train yards loses the same excitement. Also if you get caught the penalties tend to be more than a slap on the wrist and I like to travel too much, if I got denied border entry because I got busted for spray painted it would really suck bad. So my interest in 12oz limited to certain discussions and the tattoo thread was a big part, it was a thread I would lurk on a regular basis. I feel a bunch of the people in that thread were genuinely there because of their interest in tattooing and it made for some great discussions. RIP tattoo thread. Hopefully some of the oontzer will still share some of their stories and tattoos even though they've already been posted in the old thread.

lol If we knew the actual dates, someone should get a lil' memorial "RIP ****************tattoo thread" tattoo. That would be cool.

Anyways here's some random pics that were in the old thread...

Shige

l_7e27d81564b916d4537007b13cc97f6e.jpg

Shige and Filip Leu. I heard this back piece was done in one day at one of the Euro conventions. Filip is known to rock those big shovel mags so it wouldn't surprise me.

l_abb55727c3a6292feb590843ebc41810.jpg

Kore Flatmo

6235d1309934364-skulls-skulls-skulls-flatmo-skull-3.jpg

Noble

l_14189396c569ee8a05af91578eeff1a2.jpg

Kevin LeBlanc

l_ec04496a00b64b2ecbfbd679b3f212a3.jpg

Nick Baxter

nickbaxterfeature1.jpg

Jesse Young

l_be61306cec071fb6c140528208799783.jpg

Rob hope