Trying to put out a D.I.Y. Zine

So the idea for Sleazeside Heights vol. 1 is in my head, and I'd like to put out a small black and white issue with graff flicks, an interview, stories, and some other fun stuff. Anyone have any tips or hints they would be willing to share?

I have a few old hard copy pictures I could arrange, and photocopy easily. But since most of my flicks are digital, it's a little tougher, and i'd have to print out a lot of them. Is there a program that lets you design a page and drag multiple pictures on it for a page layout?

Cheapest places to run off copies, and tips to make the pages work in black and white? any advice would be appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the cheapest zines to make are quarter sized. 4.25 x 5.5" thats half a piece of regular copy paper. i'm sure you could make it up in in design or even word pretty easy. if you don't have that stuff handy, the best bet is to just print out the text and pictures and glue them onto a template for you to make copies of it. its semi pricey but what isn't? and its the fastest option for you probably. and what do you mean by make the pages work in black and white?

find a local copy shop and tell them exactly what you want. i'm sure they'll help you out. fuck kinkos and staples unless your stealing that shit then i'm all for it.

Good luck with your Zine, update this thread when it comes out and I'll buy one.

However its slightly ironic that you're looking for advice on something and using the term DIY. Do that shit yourself, fucking up and making mistakes is part of the process and half of the fun (in my opinion).

Oh and I google image searched "moar arrows" and this came up so I'm putting it here

/stolen

128929532330551046.jpg

oh, i meant contrast. Basically so the pictures pop, and they come out as clear as they can.

you don't have much options. printing it out on a hd digital color copier but set to b/w or gey scale would definitely make the pictures come out dope but it would cost you as much as color copies.

you should just see how they come out from the regular b/w copiers. theres alot of different settings on those fuckers, color density, and light contrast would probably be the 2 easiest to figure out by yourself.

honestly if its a quarter sized zine and your selling it for a buck, don't sweat to hard if you can't make out every little thread and detail. in fact, brag about how much you don't give a shit about it in your zine. seems to be a trend in my neck of the woods.

it's 2011, and this negroid is trynna to go into print when every other publication is trynna go digital to avoid bankruptcy.

(a BW graffzine no less)

4930282346_684ee45243_b.jpg

Everything may be going digital but I still love a hard copy publication to hold and read. I can't stand reading books/newspapers/magazines online, it does my shitty eyes in.

I buy zines I find on the regular, mostly photography ones though but I'm always looking out for a dope graff zine that really represents the local scene like they used to.

But good luck on this dude, it's not hard to do and it's fun to slap shit together and see the finished result. I've been in the process of putting a few things together but I had to put it on hold for a bit.

Post up your progress and I'll probably grab one off you.

I don't know how long you've been around but devilush used to do a pretty solid one...

They are right, quarter size is the way to go, and you really should have no problem doing it all in photoshop with even a minimal amount of knowledge.

Simply make the paper size how big the magazine is, and make sure everything fits in that.

Also, low contrast and minimally saturated photos will produce the most amount of different shades of grey, and will probably look the best for large color pieces. As for throwups and single color stuff im sure you could get away with over saturating a bit to make them bold out...

Good luck br0

Do it the right way. . . cut, paste, tape, etc. . . Fanzines are way cooler when they're made collage style.

Good luck either way, starting up anything is a pain in the ass. Then trying to get people to take 5 seconds out of their day to look it over is even harder.

Got a mate with complete mags he made - photos / glue / black electrical tape / clear contact :D

Why are you against color?

Is it because of cost? If so, what is the difference in price?

yes, definitely cost. color copies are expensive. Plus I want it to be a throwback to the local jersey punk zines. I'm even going to put in a word search, like one or two I had way back when, that I still own, much like Drue_down said, they are def prized possessions.