dumpster divers

Guest ?!?!

how many of you thugs are dumpster divers.

that shits kinda cool.

i know very few though, all punk kids.

i was just thinking about it tonight while i re-read evasion for the 10th time.

if you dont know, evasion is a zine wrote by this kid who bascially said...

fuck work im just gonna hitchhike all over, steal and dumpster dive becuase i can, and he wrote about things he did.

its really good. i usually hate most zines since 9 out of 10 are the same..but this is really good. rare though, iv never met another person who knows about it but its good.

anyways. dumpster diving seems cool.

ill never do it, im to clean and i like spending money, and i would feel stupid if someone saw me. but oh well.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

was the evasion zine put out by crimethinc. ? i heard about it. never got a copy. i dumpster dive. i got a new jacket when i was in ny after that whole trade center excitement. some woman died and her family didn't come get her stuff. so the landlord put all her stuff on the side of the street. i get pizza and donuts from the dumpsters when i'm out paintin late at night. 'salright i guess. it comes in it's own bags and boxes and shit. so it doesn't have that garbage juice all over it...

yea the zine was re-put out by crimethinc.

i got it the guys in zegota at a show. i believe it was something like, one of the crimethinc guys found a copy..i guess the kid made his own copies and gave them out..but the guy found the copy liked it alot, contacted the kid who wrote the zine got permission and they inturn printed up a bunch of copies. so yea basically. but its pretty damn good.

nope i dont. my friend was smart enough to get like 4...he only has one left though now.

but if i was you i would contact crimethinc and ask for one. im sure they can help you out some how.

do you know the crimethinc web address.

i have it somewhere if you need it ill try to find it.

a really good friend of mine..his dad used to work at the dump.

not like a big landfill where the dumptrucks dump out all the shit..one of those dumps where you drive it there yourself and throw it away. kinda hard to explain but maybe some of you know what im talking about. anyway he used to get tons of cool shit. he would get genesis games, toys, occasionally a nice piece of furniture! his dad would take alot of good shit. if he liked it, he'd keep it..if he didnt want it, he'd just keep it at his house for awhile until all the shit he kept would pile up..then he'd put it all up for sale in a yard sale..and make like $100 or so. not bad.

this was back when mcdonalds had their first monopoly game thing..and i remember two game pieces came with a board in the sunday paper to promote the game..well tons of people never even took the game pieces off, so his dad would take them all. he had tons of 'free cheeseburger', 'free fries' game pieces. me and my friend would just grab a bunch and go pig out at mcdonalds for free. and he also had alot of 'free 20oz coke' and stuff from people that didnt care to check the cap to see if it was a winner.

but the best was those 'pepsi points'. people would throw out their pepsi product without taking the points. so his dad collected them. this kid ended up with like 6,000 points! and he sold/traded a bunch to me for mad cheap. i got tons of pepsi t-shirts, cd case, beach chair, duffel bag, and even a real nice leather jacket which i still have. my friend got the bike along with other shit.

crimethink and evasion are both real cool books/people/orginizations but so many kids turn it into thier bible, im not saying in anyway that you are or anything but ive met alot of kids who label themselves "crimethink kids" which is just fucking weak. a few of my freinds hitched all around for the last few months and have realized alot of the bullshit involved with those kids. i dunno...good ideas are taken too far, far too often.

biya

the 1st year that Marlboro miles came out I worked in a bar and the bouncers did clean-up... 1 of them ended up getting the pool table and 1 had enough but got other stuff... (it was like 35,000 miles for the table and they came 5 miles a pack...)... that's over 10,000 packs of smokes picked up by them in one year, though, to be fair, one guy smoked too, plus we would all save our miles for them, still...

nigga lemme tell you suntin. dumpster diving is a skill that you can only accwIyer at that one second. man one time i was bombin some pull down gates in the middle of a block . man i seen like 5 cop cars turn the corner on some movie shit. man, i ran like a mufuka. with my boy right behind me, we turned that corner past the Rite Aid. and there it was .and it appeared.... glowing like a becon calling out to me. so i ran to it and in one leap i floated towards the opening of that glowing dumpster headfirst and oolong....

landed on some bags headfirst but my boy landed in some naaaasty shit, his arm was covered with it....some browning pudding type shit.

that zine you speak of sounds pretty interestings. its strange, but i have nothing to do with the punk scene anymore, but i can't stop reading COMETBUS. that was my favorite zine. kinda like the one you describe, but its aaron from crimpshrine traveling around the country and his comments and conclusions about life. i think i might check out evasion

evasion is definitly worth getting your hands on...dont let my first post fool you, im down with leftism all the way...just sometimes when your so far left you tend to fall off the table...i just made that up....im fucking smart-tastic

thats strange you say bc i just watched a sorta documentary on this like two weeks ago , it was pretty interesting too . these two ppl werent poor or anything , they were just mad at the world and anyhow they got some good fresh ( not old and rotten ) food from the trash , some sushi , lotsa fruit and bread and juice .........most of that shit was like brand new .................not that id do it or anything , its just interesting to know

dumpster diveing is fun, i have found so much stuff including working moniters computers. And me and my freind found a 21 inch monitor worth like 1500$ and all we had to do was replace 1 part...

But the best thing we have found was at the local recycling place, people always drop off metal shit, sometimes you can find some pretty nice shit, like old bikes and computers etc. This time my friend found an old invisible board, perfect condition, its so dope its also got doh doh trucks, the berings are warn out but the deck still rules.

i dumpster dive pretty frquently.just at like natural food places and bakeries. lots of great brownies and bread and other baked goods. im not starving or anything. i dont do it to survive. but i dont think there is anything wrong with eating trashed food, its always packaged aor in a bag with other similar items so its still good..

i always check the skips outside of houses that are being renovated or shope that are being re-fitted. my mums always annoyed when i bring tonnes of crap home from the dump's

if you want evasion check out

www.crimethinc.com/evasion i do believe. if that doesnt work just go to the evasion link at crimethinc.com

now the zine i was talking about is no longer available, but they have put out an evasion book, with most of the text fromthe original zine and a bunch of new stuff.

and to the kid talking about people being crimethinc kids..i dont really know about that. im not really in the hardcore scene like that.i know alot of the good music and go to shows, but besides that i am pretty cut off. i dont realloy give a fuck about politics or anything like that. i just like good reading now and then, well hardly ever, but evasion was good. word

Guest bigdork

what the fuck is so glamorous about eating or digging out of a dumbster? Ive had to do it but only because I was homeless, ask any real homeless person (not some punk from the suburbs who thinks its cool to be poor) If he likes digging through others trash. People do it for survival not because you can "find really cool stuff or edible food". Sorry,These punk squatter kids bug the shit out of me these days, to generalize for a moment most of them come from normal families with decent money, so they think its cool to go in the totally opposite direction of there families, instead of being grateful for even having a loving family. The ones in my city, sit in front of there apartment and panhandle acting like they are homeless, then they go get drunk. Take it from somebody who experienced being homeless for real and not by choice, its not fun, its hard, and its very lonely and its not all fun and hanging out, unless you have a trust fund, grow dreads, drive a nice truck but keep it real messy, look unkept, have a dog named Marley, or Sequoia, stand for nothing but doing drugs and following bands. All the while your family cries for your selfish ass in the suburbs!! Having a modest clean place to live, living simply, working enough to still enjoy life but so you dont have to sponge off others and you can feel proud, these normal things are wonderful.

yea you tell them.

i myself wasnt glamorizing dumpster diving as a way of living and to be cool. im sure it does suck to be homeless.

well i dont dumpster dive anyways so i guess i cant really say anything.

i just thought it was neat the time i heard about people find like 2 working playstations and about 20 games in a blockbuster dumpster.

i've never dumpster dived for food but i've worked at bakeries and shit and i know how much stuff goes from the shelf to a garbage bag to the dumpster everyday. (chain bagel stores are the best places dozens of bagles a day)

i have pulled many a computer part / funiture from dumpsters... all kinds of computer shit can be had from universitys and office buildings. printers, monitors, systems whatever really.

Guest BROWNer

last month i found a discarded

mannequin in a dumpster behind

a used furniture store downtown..

i went back later, sawed off the

head, and signed the body, then

walked a couple blocks into a

more visible area and left it

there.

Originally posted by bigdork

what the fuck is so glamorous about eating or digging out of a dumbster? Ive had to do it but only because I was homeless, ask any real homeless person (not some punk from the suburbs who thinks its cool to be poor) If he likes digging through others trash. People do it for survival not because you can "find really cool stuff or edible food". Sorry,These punk squatter kids bug the shit out of me these days, to generalize for a moment most of them come from normal families with decent money, so they think its cool to go in the totally opposite direction of there families, instead of being grateful for even having a loving family. The ones in my city, sit in front of there apartment and panhandle acting like they are homeless, then they go get drunk. Take it from somebody who experienced being homeless for real and not by choice, its not fun, its hard, and its very lonely and its not all fun and hanging out, unless you have a trust fund, grow dreads, drive a nice truck but keep it real messy, look unkept, have a dog named Marley, or Sequoia, stand for nothing but doing drugs and following bands. All the while your family cries for your selfish ass in the suburbs!! Having a modest clean place to live, living simply, working enough to still enjoy life but so you dont have to sponge off others and you can feel proud, these normal things are wonderful.

it does get lonely being homeless. i got kicked out of my house for a while. i lived in this abandoned restaurant by myself. shit got scary. but it's not sad and miserable all the time. sometimes you can find people to live and hang out with, or you can scrounge up some money and go do something instead of moping around all day. i'm not that much into the politics or squatting, but i don't mind roughing it. it's kind of an adventure. and you learn a lot from it. i saved up enough money to buy a round trip ticket to new york. and i hung out with the kids in thompkins square park. most of em did heroin, which was kinda depressing, but there were a few clean kids. most of those were the train hoppers that were stoppin in for a few weeks. but they're not all sad and miserable. they hang out, go exploring the city, paint.. have parties sometimes at east river park. i met a few of those house punks that you talk about. they are kinda lame. squatters are lame too. they're too special for the street kids. fuck em. but yeah... it's basically a matter of preference. some people hate living on the streets. some people accept it and make the most of it.

Guest bigdork

yeah I was definatley just generalizing and getting rid of some angst, about these specific squatter scum in my city, alot of them are in there 20's and they get young teenage confused girls who might just be going through a tough time you know teenage shit, and they get them all wound up like "yeah fuck your parents" "anarchy" come with us and do heroin, get drunk everyday, "live free" just complete bullshit, its very sad. I didnt mean to offend anybody's preferance of life choices, I just think when it boils down to it everybody would love to have a home and not have to dig through trash, The movie Dark Days best backs this, most of those folk were on the streets a very long time, and when they finally got apartments at the end, it changed there life, they were so happy, just to be given the oppurtunity to live a normal life, all the things we bitch about, goin to work, laundry, cleaning, made them so happy. Just makes you wonder why some of these kids today glamorize being poor, and homeless so much. anyway i could go on and on but i think you get what im sayin. peace

yes, squatters are the worst. they act as if they have this special club house or something. and they claim to be all about free property. cunts. i saw a few of em drivin trucks. it was horrible. i learned a lot from living on the street. at school, i'll heard kids complaining about petty shit, and i think "damn... they just don't know how easy they've got it.."

Archived