Financial Deciscions • credit, investing, etc

KILZ FILLZ

Well the travel and time you spend away would help you grow as a person, you say you worry about finding a wife but at 30 you would probably be meeting someone much more grounded and mature and sure of themselves so probably a good thing.

As for your Dad, without sounding harsh, if anything serious happened like he dropped dead, then you could be in the next town over and you still owont be there for him, however if he falls really ill and is taken to hospital then it isn't hard to get back to the US from Japan, the only thing that would worry me is being stuck on an aircraft carrier and being unable to get to land to then fly back to the states.

Sounds like a good opportunity tho, get some good bank behind you for your future when you return, pick up a bit of japanese (language and women) while you are over there.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

boats, i was away when my mom died

i knew it was coming, somewhat, and had prepared for it in some ways

but if i could do it again i'd be around.

it is an incredible opportunity, but you can pretty much always count on the fact that you'll be able to go to hong kong, japan, or korea and get a job teaching english. i know enough nobodies who have done it to know, it ain't hard.

as for wife-ing up, there is no way to plan for that. you could meet that girl tomorrow in your town, in two years overseas, or never. i probably would not bother to factor that into my decision if i were you. my parents were the soulmate types, but that shit is really rare and impossible to actively look for, imo

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I want to use a 0% interest balance transfer card to … transfer my other cards balances on to

My question is - is there a negative effect on my credit score if I open another credit line? Or a positive effect? Seems higher credit available to amount of debt is a good thing right? Gotta good credit score and don't want to fuck it up.

Should I just wait til one of my current cards send me a 0% transfer promotion in the mail again?

This is the card I would be thinking about. Seems aight ------ http://20somethingfinance.com/discover-it-card-review/

My question is - is there a negative effect on my credit score if I open another credit line?

I don't know a whole lot about credit, but in the past year I've bought a house and new car, both of which required credit checks obviously. Basically, I have very little credit, but from what I do have, it's pretty good. I don't even have any credit cards...

Anyway, I remember during the mortgage deal they were saying I'm better off with my limited credit history rather than having many open credit lines. So, to answer your question, I don't know if it will affect your score necessarily, but when it comes to credit history, it may get fishy. Lenders seem suspicious of people who have multiple lines open. If it's only a few, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sorry if that did absolutely nothing to answer your question.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some of the things credit is based on is length your accounts are open, how often and how much you're paying them off, and how many lines of credit you have. Lines can be car or home loan, credit cards, charge accounts etc. Shit even the library's overdue fines show up on it! While you aren't hurting it by having several open since it effects it a little, every time you apply that is a hard check against your credit and that does apply against it. You have to weigh how you want it to effect I guess. Get an app like Credit Karma and monitor your credit for a few months.

Via credit karma

For the next person----

Closing old and unused credit accounts on your credit reports can help you avoid unnecessary fees and guard against identity theft. However, it can also cause your credit score to drop if you are not careful. Here are a few do's and don'ts for closing those dormant accounts:

Do...

Consider closing unused and idle accounts. These accounts could be charging you unnecessary fees and are often targets for identity thieves. Close the accounts with annual fees and the highest interest rates first.

Check your credit reports online to see the status of your accounts. Look for late payments, high balances and signs of identity theft. As a bonus, checking your credit report can save you time by providing you with contact information for each of your creditors.

Be aware that you can cancel accounts that have an active balance. You can ask your creditor to close the account to new charges and continue paying down the balance each month. This may be a good way for heavy credit users to prevent new spending while they are reducing their balances. However, watch out for hidden fees.

Keep four to six credit accounts open. This will keep your credit score and debt balances healthy. Signs of active and responsible credit use are viewed positively by creditors.

Designate one card for regular use and try to pay the balance in full each month. Reserve the other cards for emergencies only so that you are not tempted to overspend.

Don't...

Close the oldest account on your credit reports . This could cause your credit history to appear shorter and could harm your credit score.

Just throw away old cards and expect your accounts to close automatically. The safest way to close an account is to send a certified letter to the customer service department of the credit company. You should receive an account closing confirmation letter in 10 days.

Be pressured to cancel several accounts all at once. Gradually paying down and closing accounts may be the best plan if you are unsure about the impact on your credit score or the amount of debt you need to carry. If you want to cancel numerous credit accounts, spacing the closures over time will reduce the chance of attracting negative suspicion from potential creditors.

Over-consolidate balances onto one card. If your credit balances rise to above 35% of your available limits, you may see a drop in your credit score.

Forget to check your credit reports for updates and errors after you close your credit accounts. Wait 30-60 days for the creditor to report the closed account and the credit reporting agencies to update your records. While the accounts and their payment histories will stay on your report for 7 or more years, they should be marked as "closed."

Designate one card for regular use and try to pay the balance in full each month.

One thing I try to do is use cards with benefits, cash back, travel points etc for reoccurring charges (cell phone, netflix etc). You're going to pay them every month anyways. Might as have your dollar spent +1. it also ensures things get paid when you need them to. Before I started this practice it was hard keeping track of everything. These things don't count toward your credit but on a card it helps create credit history and good history at that.

• 3 weeks later...