Trip to New York City

Chubbs

I plan on flying to New York toward the end of July. I'm going to be in Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building.... I'm looking on here to see if anyone would be interested in chilling when I'm out there. I've never been there or have family currently residing there. I'm looking for someone that is very city oriented and knows there way around town.

PM me if your located in the New York area and interested :cool:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to NYC in '08 I looked at the Statue Of Liberty from across the water and I saw the Empire State Building from down the street. I skipped the standard expensive tourist tours/long lines and got a weekly MTA pass and just got myself lost in the city.

I'm sure there's a few Oontzers living there who will show you around, when I travel I always prefer to hook up with some locals and see the city from their perspective.

Take lots of photos though and provide a photo thread on your return!

Avoid the tourist attractions, do a lot of wandering with no particular goal. If you have somewhere you're trying to get to, try to get off the subway a few stops early and walk. You'll miss out on way too much awesome shit if you just take the subway from point A to point B and ignore all of the stuff you could stumble upon in between.

Im going from the 19th to the 26tjh. Im staying off of wall streeet in a hotel. I was lookin to maybe catch a blaze but not fond of walkin the streets trying to find it. Im just lookin for a guide to see the city from a residents point of view. i plan on taking lots of photos and sharing with everyone when I get back! Thanks for the help everyone :)

I just moved to Brooklyn, I live right across the street from a bunch of projects that are half blacks/puerto ricans and half hisdic Jews- it's fucking weird. Every white person in Williamsburg looks the same. In the 4 days I've been here the best thing I've done is ridden my bike all over Manhattan and Brooklyn, getting super lost and stopping all the time at bodegas and bars to freshen up. The worst thing I've done is gotten blacked out drunk alone in SOHO, kicked out of 3 bars, burnt my lips on pizza, staggered towards and slept under the Williamsburg bridge on an old pier. A lot can happen in NY, just let the clutch out and get lost. I'm also reminded of why I stopped drinking for so long.

I should be back in NYC by then, A BBQ sounds like a good idea to me.

In my opinion, if you even once eat at a chain restaurant or fast food while visiting NYC you've failed.

That's probably the best advice next to going outside of Manhattan and seeing what real New York looks like.

I'm not talking getrificationburg either, check out Queens, The Non Hipster Areas of Brooklyn, The Bronx, Washington Heights/Inwood, Harlem.

Those are the only places left you're going to experience New York City at it's best, as opposed to it's most expensive/pretentious.

The architecture might not be as awesome but it's the people who grew up here and the immigrants that make this city awesome.

If you want to know specific spots in any of those places name a spot and people will say the best food spots in that neighborhood.

Look at a map and start think of places to visit or ask specific questions other than what's cool to do in this gigantic city, it's not like a smaller town where there is a short list.

My general rule of thumb as a food lover, if you see a Polish restaurant for example, with polish customers eating there, it's good.

If you walk into a restaurant and see tourists, GTFO as fast as possible.

Everything you need to find out about Manhattan south of 90th St. is available via google searching things like "where to eat in NYC" on Google.

A little research goes a long way to making the most of a trip, there are about 200+ "I'm visiting NYC threads on here" to look through also.

I say fuck the whole anti-hipster thing, and come to Brooklyn for the food.

Take the L to Lorimer, exit at the Metropolitan and Union exit. Walk towards the bridge (BQE) on Metropolitan. Go under the bridge and 3 or so blocks away is Fette Sau.

fette_sau.jpg

fettesau.jpg

Get the under belly. Trust me. BBQ and booze is a good thing.

I pretty much stay in Brooklyn because I don't know anyone in any other boro. If you're into good food, I can point you in the direction of some solid places that aren't the typical cliche shit in Manhattan.

If you're going to do anything on the postcard tour, I recommend going to Coney Island. If it's on a hot weekend day, you'll be entertained for hours. In the span of 10 minutes I saw:

1. A Mexican get washed up on shore with a cardboard splint duct taped to his leg and four Dominican children staring at him like he was a baby whale.

2. A little boy belly down in a puddle under one of the spraying palm trees, bobbing his head up and down and spitting out the water from those puddles.

3. A guy with his gut hanging out of his shirt covered in hair, holding an old 1998 mini-dv camera and filming girls in bikinis. I swear he probably had a collection from god only knows what year.

So I think that's a good spot to check out for a day. Swim in that water. It's the washout from the East River. Enjoy!

As for strip clubs around Time Square --go to Flashdancers. Get sushi and a lapdance.

I plan on flying to New York toward the end of July. I'm going to be in Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building.... I'm looking on here to see if anyone would be interested in chilling when I'm out there. I've never been there or have family currently residing there. I'm looking for someone that is very city oriented and knows there way around town.

PM me if your located in the New York area and interested :cool: [/font][/size]

I seriously doubt anybody wants to hang out with you at Times Square or the statue of Liberty you fucking tool.

Go to the hood and write on shit like a normal person.

• Like 2